An island besieged by corruption and mafia: Army reclaims Koh Samet as true national park

webfact

An island besieged by corruption and mafia: Army reclaims Koh Samet as true national park

p3n.jpg

Picture: Thairath

KOH SAMET: -- In a massive operation that could transform Koh Samet the mafia on the island is being booted out. 

The national parks authority are shutting down a huge amount of illegal businesses including motorbike rental, speedboats, jetski/banana boats, ports and beachside businesses.

Samet - that has been a national park only in name - is now being reclaimed by the state from the mafia who have run protection rackets for years with the connivance of the local park chief and subordinates, reports Thairath

New officials were all over the island yesterday.

Now it has emerged that the park chief has been removed along with a staggering 80 allegedly corrupt staff  in league with the mafia and people of influence to effectively rob the state of revenue.

The dramatic moves come as the tourist season beckons.

Central national Park officials said the clear out relates to businesses that were exploiting the island illegally to generate some 100 million baht in income per month.

Some 660 motorbikes, 100 speedboats, jetski operated banana boats, illegal beach massage operations and even food sellers peddling their wares have all had their operations stopped immediately. 

Vehicles and boats have been impounded.

It was said that only one speedboat had permission to operate.

Authorities said that jetskis and speedboats were all banned and represented a danger to swimmers.

Seven jetties have been shut down. Only two will remain that will be monitored closely by a new set of park officials.

It was reported yesterday that following the removal of Thanit Janthadech who was head of the Koh Samet National Park and 80 staff revenue for October increased dramatically. 

He was stripped of his job in September. revenue from tourists in October 2016 was 4.8 million baht compared to 1.2 million from October 2015.

Nathapon Ratanaphan of the National Park authority revealed that every area of the islands business was being controlled by the mafia and influential figures. 

Massage shops paid 500 baht a month to be allowed to run - there were 179 of those. Food sellers, taxis, face painters, fire show performers all had to pay the mafia.

Nathapon said that at least 40 percent was being skimmed off the island's revenue by the mafia operating at jetties and ports.

He said that a steady stream of people had been calling him to say they know a big policeman, a big and important soldier or an influential politician. He said he listens then has told everyone "no can do".

"Samet is now being reclaimed as a National Park," he said adding that 61 businesses that have illegally encroached on 10 kilometers of the island's beaches will be torn down.

Tourist businesses will be zoned to protect the environment and all businesses will need to be properly registered.

He promised continuing tough action and many court cases before the matter is finally resolved.

In addition, all beach umbrellas and seating if not already removed will be cleared up and banned.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-18

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Let's see if the tough talk and promises turns into an ongoing, permanent change for the good..

Or, will it just be another case of the money going into a different set of hands, but the scams and illegal activities being allowed to continue -- after this "brief" interruption.

If the police did it probably yes, the army seems to have better control over the situations although I am sure someone is going to point out an incident that wasn't handled well.

10 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

If the police did it probably yes, the army seems to have better control over the situations although I am sure someone is going to point out an incident that wasn't handled well.

It's a sad commentary on Thailand and its police force that it takes the Army to step in and (hopefully) bring some law and order to one of many lawless places.

36 minutes ago, johng said:

My thoughts go towards the  many hundreds of Thais who have suddenly been deprived of their lively hoods and now wont be able to provide for their families.

Sad, indeed.  But if it preserves the resource for their kids, their grandkids and future generations to enjoy and benefit from, it's short term pain for long term gain.

Conceding, of course that it's a real big "if".

I also wonder about the unintended consequence of putting dozens of mafia types on the streets with no marketable skills other than scamming tourists and extorting their countrymen.  One upside of their previous ventures?  100% voluntary for the victims.  No telling whether it will be voluntary going forward. 

4 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

well done to the army ,if the police had the balls years ago then there would be no need for the Army to clean up Thailand like they are doing .

If the police had the balls :cheesy:

The police were making a killing out of all the illegal activities.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Central national Park officials said the clear out relates to businesses that were exploiting the island illegally to generate some 100 million baht in income per month.

Gee after all these years the military/BIB have seen de light. Somebody must have replaced their Ever Readies. A flavor of the day no doubt. Impressed the H out of me. 

I, for one, am delighted. I first went there in 1991 and it had beautiful beaches.  

I stopped going when more and more guest houses were built, a road was built and the speedboats & jet skis moved in , totally destroying the tranquility.

The trash on the island is a disgrace.

Let's hope they actually clean it up. 

3 hours ago, johng said:

My thoughts go towards the  many hundreds of Thais who have suddenly been deprived of their lively hoods and now wont be able to provide for their families.

Even if they were providing through illegal activities such as protecting racketeering?

39 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

That was also thought on Phuket.

Koh Tao, please sort out that one.....

Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao = Surat Dems

Surat Dems = allies of the current administration

Any changes far more likely to be by mutual consent not enforcement

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

One island down, 999 to go....

It is good news that this is happening, but there were viable businesses there.  Would it not be prudent to look at relocating these people to another place ?   We shall see if this is not just a land grab and these businesses are reappraised with different owners.

4 hours ago, johng said:

I think 'lively hoods' are worn by Hoodies. They are the type that move about a lot! However, livelihoods refer to people's jobs and so on. However, and that aside, I cannot agree with you. Where there is corruption there is less money in the peoples' pockets. Nothing here to stop people earning an honest living without being in fear of the gangsters who collect their hard-earned cash without doing any productive work themselves. It is time that this clean up continued all over the country. For example Koh Tao (and we all know what happens there) and Baan Tawaii in Chiang Mai where the sellers of wood (500 shops???) are also paying 500 a week to be allowed to stay in business. The beneficiaries may well be .......Problem is, when the army goes around and asks them who they pay and how much they refuse to answer. Such is the nature of fear. Sorry about my lively joke earlier.

4 hours ago, johng said:

I first went to Samet over 30 years ago and a big sign greeted you

this is a national park and you cant stay over night

this was ignored and this beautiful Island was destroyed

the people that built the large hotels did so illegally

the fire dancers and all the nonsense that goes with it

now back to nature

beautiful Samet

Archived