An island besieged by corruption and mafia: Army reclaims Koh Samet as true national park

webfact

4 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

If the police did it probably yes, the army seems to have better control over the situations although I am sure someone is going to point out an incident that wasn't handled well.

Out of the mouths of babes and innocents.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Deli said:

when reading the headline I though they were taking about Phuket...

Yes I am still waiting if someone in charge in this country has some big enough to clean Phuket ? Because it's really the most corrupted place in this country and deserves a deep Karcher cleaning !

Just wondering who will be in charge of the weed business on all these islands now ?

:-)

6 hours ago, johng said:

My thoughts go towards the  many hundreds of Thais who have suddenly been deprived of their lively hoods and now wont be able to provide for their families.

there was no reason why they shouldn't have been legally employed but all the Mr Bigs were creaming of state land and all those involved were creaming huge amounts off of their illegal and corrupt businesses and backhanders.

What the government should now do is replace them with state run businesses so that the whole country can benefit and not just a few corrupt people mafia and local thieving authorities

I would no expect the same to happen in the surrounding Islands

I first went to Samet over 25 years ago and it was a peaceful little island paradise - there was nothing to do but laze around and swim in crystal clear waters. At the time there were only 3 or 4 places to stay and we just loved it. I went back for the first time a three years ago and I couldn't believe my eyes - it had turned into one big horrendously noisy rubbish dump ! if the Thai authorities are serious it will be excellent and the same sort of operation needs to be carried out on all of the islands. It will bring the state more money, improve the image of Thailand no end and in the long term it will be beneficial to the Thai tourist industry which up till now was turning a blind eye to the destruction both ecologically and aesthetically of so much of once a beautiful land. Let's hope this is the first of many operations.

Been regularly for 18 years and still go. Everyone knows the NP people were part of the problem. Let's hope they also clean up the rubbish. Progress can be positive but was always negative on Samet. I have been going to only one beach on Samet for the last 10 years which has been nearly untouched by the "progress" and that was fine. If there are less speedboats, jet skis and sarong peddlars, all the better for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, johng said:

My thoughts go towards the  many hundreds of Thais who have suddenly been deprived of their lively hoods and now wont be able to provide for their families.

What are you talking about?

Didn't you know that Thailand has just been declared the world's least miserable place? :shock1:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-07/world-s-least-miserable-live-in-asia-thanks-to-disinflation

But I agree with you.

54 minutes ago, leggo said:

I first went to Samet over 25 years ago and it was a peaceful little island paradise - there was nothing to do but laze around and swim in crystal clear waters. At the time there were only 3 or 4 places to stay and we just loved it. I went back for the first time a three years ago and I couldn't believe my eyes - it had turned into one big horrendously noisy rubbish dump ! if the Thai authorities are serious it will be excellent and the same sort of operation needs to be carried out on all of the islands. It will bring the state more money, improve the image of Thailand no end and in the long term it will be beneficial to the Thai tourist industry which up till now was turning a blind eye to the destruction both ecologically and aesthetically of so much of once a beautiful land. Let's hope this is the first of many operations.

Yes, last time I went (about a year ago) it was impossible to swim in the sea without getting rubber bands and plastic bags all over your body. It was really disgusting.

14 hours ago, johng said:

Yes the poor scammers,  thugs, mafia and other assorted lowlifes my heart bleeds.  

42 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Why only islands? There's all the mainland too.

Scams and mafia-type practices are endemic everywhere here.

The beauty of a social experiment on an island is that you can isolate it from other inputs to see the effects of your efforts.  Try one thing on one island, try something else on each other island.  Then see which inputs produce the desired results and roll them out to the next island, and so on.

On the mainland, it's more like whack-a-mole.  Extremely difficult to isolate one input from all the external turmoil.  

So far, it's been too slow.  But I'm favorably impressed anyway.  Sadly, it takes dictatorial powers to overcome the decades of kleptocracy.

Very good job, I hope the work continues and extends to other places. Somehow I doubt it, but I live in hope.

It has already, cleaned up the foot path mafia on sukhumvit Bangkok and the boat Mafia Bali hi pattaya

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

It has already, cleaned up the foot path mafia on sukhumvit Bangkok and the boat Mafia Bali hi pattaya

don't forget  the "civil war"  "it" prevented  ( the one in Bangkok  not the 3 southern provinces )

the lottery vendors,beach chair/umbrella vendors,beach massage operations,food sellers peddling their wares,motorbike rental businesses,speedboat,jetski,banana boat businesses and people posting a like on facebook  98.3% of them are very happy with "it"

23 hours ago, johng said:

Please don't you're gonna make me cry...

they'll do just fine, and set-up illegally somewhere else in a few days!!!

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Why only islands? There's all the mainland too.

Scams and mafia-type practices are endemic everywhere here.

Similar military tactics seen in Pattaya, Phuket (pseudo-mainland) and Phetchaboon.

It is about valuable land (seafront land tends to be very valuable) and control of the huge tourist industry income stream.

On 11/18/2016 at 11:47 AM, johng said:

Do your thoughts also go to thieves, robbers, pickpockets, corrupt officials, etc. who get arrested and convicted and are "deprived of their lively hoods (sic)?

They're all breaking the law.

Archived