Eight tonnes of rice sold in 3 hours through co-op initiative

webfact

Eight tonnes of rice sold in 3 hours through co-op initiative

Phuket Gazette 

pkt3.jpeg          

Eight tons of jasmine rice from Sisaket sold out in three hours at Krabi Provincial Co-operative Offices on Thursday. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI: -- Eight tonnes of jasmine rice from Sisaket Province sold out in just three hours in Krabi yesterday in a government-led initiative to supply rice at a reduced price directly from farmers to consumers.

The 2pm sell-off of rice stocks was jointly organized by the Krabi Provincial Co-operative Offices (KPCO) and the Sisaket Agricultural Marketing Co-operative (SAMC), with the aim of helping rice farmers hit by a recent drop in the wholesale price of rice to just 5 baht a kilogram

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Eight-tonnes-rice-sold-3-hours-coop/65885?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-11-18

17 hours ago, loong said:

8 tonnes is 8,000 kilograms - right?

The sale raised 900,000 Baht

so that means that they sold it for about 112 Baht/kilo.

Unless my maths is off, who on earth would pay that much for rice?

How much did it cost to transport the rice between Sisaket and Krabi which according to Google is about 1,300km?

8 tonnes is about 1 truckload, which may account for the discrepancy in the price if you include the diesel, driver and labourers wages for the 17 hour each way trip.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How much did it cost to transport the rice between Sisaket and Krabi which according to Google is about 1,300km?

8 tonnes is about 1 truckload, which may account for the discrepancy in the price if you include the diesel, driver and labourers wages for the 17 hour each way trip.

And because the transport cost was outrageous for the volume, people are willing to pay the extra money for the rice which they can buy at half the price right around the corner, right?

59 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

And because the transport cost was outrageous for the volume, people are willing to pay the extra money for the rice which they can buy at half the price right around the corner, right?

I have no idea other that the OP quoted the the rice came from Sisaket province and was sold in Krabi which in the South of Thailand.

How do YOU think 8 tonnes of rice traveled 1,300 km?

Perhaps there was a translation problem and the rice came from the south of Thailand. The possibilities are many. Pick one for yourself and float it.

Read loong's post#2 and see if you can divide 900,000 baht by 8,000kg and come up with a better figure.

55 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have no idea other that the OP quoted the the rice came from Sisaket province and was sold in Krabi which in the South of Thailand.

How do YOU think 8 tonnes of rice traveled 1,300 km?

Perhaps there was a translation problem and the rice came from the south of Thailand. The possibilities are many. Pick one for yourself and float it.

Read loong's post#2 and see if you can divide 900,000 baht by 8,000kg and come up with a better figure.

I think you missed the point of the post you quoted, as well as that of my post.

For you only, here it is again

In case you still don't get it, I'll answer it for you as well. A: Those who support the publicity stunt.

7 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

I think you missed the point of the post you quoted, as well as that of my post.

For you only, here it is again

In case you still don't get it, I'll answer it for you as well. A: Those who support the publicity stunt.

But did they actually pay about 112 baht per kg and did the rice actually come from Sisaket province?

Too many consistencies in the story.

Just bough 50 kilos last week from the local rice guy that I have been dealing with for years.  50 kilos, 680 baht or 13.6 baht/kilo.  The price was down from the last time.  The last time it was 720 baht/50 kilos or 14.4 baht/kilo.

On 18/11/2016 at 6:48 PM, loong said:

8 tonnes is 8,000 kilograms - right?

The sale raised 900,000 Baht

Perhaps it was a typo and it should have read 90,000 baht which would bring the price down to 11.25 thb/kg.

Archived