Scenic motorcycle route from Chiang Rai to Nan

farrol

I'll be renting a Honda Wave 125 and plan to drive from Chiang Rai to Nan and then further.

On the map I can see two country roads between Chiang Rai and Nan:

- the 1091 passing Chiang Muan and entering Nan from the West

- the 1148 passing Chiang Ban and Song Khwae and entering Nan from the North

Which one would be more scenic / suitable for that type of bike?

If they are both good I could take one going there and the other one coming back.

I guess the main highway passing Phayao would be not so scenic and have heavy traffic?

Cheers

125 is really underpowered for that kind of distance. Also, uncomfortable in terms of vibration in the hands and not much of a wind block. Really recommend a 500, or at least a 250/300 for that. Anyone considering that kind of distance and Thai highways on a 125 hasn't tried it before, and won't do it again!

Actually I have done riding around Thaton and around Nan/Phrae on that type bike, for about 4 weeks.

It was fine when I was taking my time. I wouldn't want to ride on it all day.

What I liked about it was that it is easy to handle and that my backpack fitted nicely in the space in front of me.

Also I could sit on it comfortably for a couple of hours.

Speed was fine, just on some steep stretches I wished it had more power.

Will take a look at bigger bikes before I rent, and if I can use another one comfortably I might change my mind.

I would recommend Highway 1 to Phayao, then East on 1021 to Dok Khamtai; then Southeast on Highway 1251 (To Thung Nong; 1091 to Nan.

Very scenic yet reasonable route in terms of curves and state of the highways.  I would avoid 1148 - the section around Yot is terrible.

On 11/19/2016 at 2:28 PM, khunyod said:

125 is really underpowered for that kind of distance. Also, uncomfortable in terms of vibration in the hands and not much of a wind block. Really recommend a 500, or at least a 250/300 for that. Anyone considering that kind of distance and Thai highways on a 125 hasn't tried it before, and won't do it again!

Beg to differ!

Read my trip on a PCX, 150cc but FUN, more fun than on a bigger bike

"125 is really underpowered for that kind of distance. Also, uncomfortable in terms of vibration in the hands and not much of a wind block. Really recommend a 500, or at least a 250/300 for that. Anyone considering that kind of distance and Thai highways on a 125 hasn't tried it before, and won't do it again!"

When I first started riding bikes in Thailand I would usually rent bigger bikes ,(30 years ago) now I wouldn't consider anything bigger than a Honda 125. Unless you intend to set some sort of land speed record what is the point? I am 5'10' and 200 lbs and I have no problem at all, I can pack all my gear in in "dry bag" strap it on the back. It can be a bit slow going over some the mountain passes but what's the rush? Also to consider is availability of parts and mechanics should you have a breakdown enroute, everywhere you go you can find someone who can work on small bikes.

Some folks ride for the excitement, I ride to relax so I guess it is apples versus oranges. Personally I like the flexibility smaller bikes give you like going through traffic when passing through the cities as well as getting off road and riding on paddy field embankments. Anyway just wanted to say you'll be fine on a 125cc.

can I piggy back on this as I am planning a ride ffrom chiang mai to chinag mai, if interested this is the proposed route https://drive.google.com/open?id=10TeWong7KAIXsRDqtcEpWdlaSGg&usp=sharing Day 2 will be from Nan to Chiang Saen on the 1091 until the 1021 then up to Chiang Saen. Will thei be scenic or is there a better option?

Many thanks

PS I use a forza

On 2016-11-19 at 3:57 PM, Rotweiler said:

I would recommend Highway 1 to Phayao, then East on 1021 to Dok Khamtai; then Southeast on Highway 1251 (To Thung Nong; 1091 to Nan.

Very scenic yet reasonable route in terms of curves and state of the highways.  I would avoid 1148 - the section around Yot is terrible.

Well, we have different experiences, but but to avoid 1148 is a big mistake if you want a scenic route. 1148 is known as one of the most beautiful roads to drive. I have been there recently and the road is in perfect condition and hardly any traffic.

If you want information about riding motorcycle in Thailand, check those links:

http://www.gt-rider.com/

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/forums/13-Thailand-Ride-Reports

1148 to Nan from Chiang Rai, see map.

Acommodation in Nan: I have stayed at Huean Kuang Hotel, but at those links above you can find more suggestions.

Be safe on the roads!

trip.jpg

I drove both routes. 1148 is much more beautiful as it really crosses the mountains.

There are several mountain lodges along the route where you can stay overnight.

125 Honda Wave is fine, no need to hurry, there is beautiful landscape to enjoy. We were even 2 persons on 1 Honda Wave.

If you have time, you could also make a small detour and drive up to Phu Chi Fah first. There are simple hostels up there too, and the sunrise / sunset is wondeful. From there you can continue to Chiang Khan and further to Song Khwae.

My wife comes from Nan and only yesterday she reminded that as the boat racing was cancelled this year so was the trip there. Last year in Dec. we did the ride along the 1148 and the return journey along the same road was the best bike ride I have ever had and I am 69 and have been riding bikes since I was knee high to an Ariel 350 . If you want to accelerate , brake , accelerate . brake for a 3 or 4 hours fine , if you want to feel the warm sun and look at the views with no clock to watch a Wave is fine. We did it on the Forza which has a bit more giddy up on the hills , going again next month. If I were you I would go on the lower road , don't look so bad does it ?

There are no right answers - it's up to the rider and their level of comfort. To answer your question though, the main point is safety.

A larger bike offers more options to get out of a tricky situation. Better brakes and more power. Even simple things like brighter lights, louder horn and bigger presence to deter on-comers from stealing your lane. Finally, being able to ride at the same speed, or slightly faster than the majority of road users means less concern for what is coming up behind. All the above make for a less stressed ride.

For those of us based in Bkk like I am and who want to ride the MHS loop over the weekend,  need to get to CM on a Friday afternoon... That would be an epic struggle on a 125! And few would want to mount up again the next day, and the day after that...

OP, Regardless of what you ride, enjoy! That part of Thailand is a blast. I rode CR to Nan along the border last time I was there. If you have more time, that would also be a fun ride...

3 hours ago, abhaya said:

"125 is really underpowered for that kind of distance. Also, uncomfortable in terms of vibration in the hands and not much of a wind block. Really recommend a 500, or at least a 250/300 for that. Anyone considering that kind of distance and Thai highways on a 125 hasn't tried it before, and won't do it again!"

When I first started riding bikes in Thailand I would usually rent bigger bikes ,(30 years ago) now I wouldn't consider anything bigger than a Honda 125. Unless you intend to set some sort of land speed record what is the point? I am 5'10' and 200 lbs and I have no problem at all, I can pack all my gear in in "dry bag" strap it on the back. It can be a bit slow going over some the mountain passes but what's the rush? Also to consider is availability of parts and mechanics should you have a breakdown enroute, everywhere you go you can find someone who can work on small bikes.

Some folks ride for the excitement, I ride to relax so I guess it is apples versus oranges. Personally I like the flexibility smaller bikes give you like going through traffic when passing through the cities as well as getting off road and riding on paddy field embankments. Anyway just wanted to say you'll be fine on a 125cc.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 11.53.31.png

One of the best things about doing these trips on small bikes is that it forces you to slow down and experience the countryside. I've done big bikes and afterwards realised I saw almost nothing but road. But I once did a Chiangmai-Penang-Chiangmai trip on a 125, which took a couple weeks but I felt I saw every kilometre of the way. Met many more people too.

CM-Naan is good but it gets even better further east, down along the Lao border and into Loei province. I think it's the wildest part of Thailand, even more than along the Burmese border.

Do you really think that this opinion will cut the mustard on a biker forum? 

You are welcome to be grumpy, boring, caged up, and out of touch with the places you travel. Maybe you can't stomach the excitement. Maybe you used to ride and you had an event that changed your life... Guess how much we care about your opinion? You are welcome to share you opinions wherever you want, just don't expect to be welcome or treated with any respect for relieving yourself on our tree.

On 11/21/2016 at 6:35 PM, lungnorm said:

Hire a car and have a somewhat better chance of survival.

11 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

Do you really think that this opinion will cut the mustard on a biker forum? 

You are welcome to be grumpy, boring, caged up, and out of touch with the places you travel. Maybe you can't stomach the excitement. Maybe you used to ride and you had an event that changed your life... Guess how much we care about your opinion? You are welcome to share you opinions wherever you want, just don't expect to be welcome or treated with any respect for relieving yourself on our tree.

For your information, I rode a motorbike for 2 yrs when I first started driving at 15yrs of age.I also did the ton on a Triumph 650 when only 13yrs of age with the owner as a pillion. I did skydiving for a number of years in my teens and 20's, I flew light aircraft and gliders as a teenager. I was in the Royal Navy for a number of years so I have had my share of 'Exitement'. Traffic has increased so much in this day and age only a brain dead  moron or someone wanting to end their life would ride a motorbike in these traffic congested days especially in Thailand where the road toll is the 2nd highest in the world. I state my case!!!! 

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.  My hero!  Speaking of morons.......

9 hours ago, lungnorm said:

For your information, I rode a motorbike for 2 yrs when I first started driving at 15yrs of age.I also did the ton on a Triumph 650 when only 13yrs of age with the owner as a pillion. I did skydiving for a number of years in my teens and 20's, I flew light aircraft and gliders as a teenager. I was in the Royal Navy for a number of years so I have had my share of 'Exitement'. Traffic has increased so much in this day and age only a brain dead  moron or someone wanting to end their life would ride a motorbike in these traffic congested days especially in Thailand where the road toll is the 2nd highest in the world. I state my case!!!! 

Man, who cares about

9 hours ago, lungnorm said:

That is not a case - it is a biased opinion. "Brain-dead or suicidal" It's ok to have an opinion, it would be better is you kept the idiotic ones to yourself and base the others on anything but wild assumptions. You end up sounding exceptionally boring and boorish. Absolutes are the opinions of the mentally deficient...

On 11/23/2016 at 7:34 AM, lungnorm said:

My THAI wife and I will be back in Thailand around May next year and would like to do the trip from Chiang Rai to Nan but in a car as I am not an experienced bike rider. What I would like to ask is, have any of you done the trip to Chiang Khan from Nan on road 2195 ? From there we would make our way along the river to Nakhon Phanom and to my wife's home in Pak Yam Thanks for any information. Also I would like to add I am a experienced driver having driven many country roads in outback Australia

Archived