Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Dutch man electrocuted after falling in Hua Hin swimming pool


rooster59

Recommended Posts

Dutch man electrocuted after falling in Hua Hin swimming pool

 
dutch.PNG
Image: Daily News
 
HUA HIN:-- A 66 year old man from the Netherlands was killed last night when he apparently fell in a swimming pool and was electrocuted.
 
Hua Hin police found the lifeless body of Horst Holger Chilling face up floating in the pool behind his house on the R7 Road in Thap Tai sub district.
 
He was dressed only in black shorts. In the pool was a shrubbery pot and a hanging light.
 
The body was sent for detailed autopsy to Hua Hin hospital.
 
Police said that CCTV footage showed the victim standing around the pool. But he slipped and fell into the pool.
 
As he fell he grabbed the shrubbery pot and pulled it in with him along with the hanging light draped on the shrub. He was electrocuted.
 
Source: Daily News
 
 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-19
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Why the need for an autopsy if they have it on video?

 

It's just coroner's stuff to get the paperwork done. Had to witness that one on a friend of mine (who suddenly and mysteriously died short before moving out to his new girlfriend). But "autopsy" sounds much better in the news...

 

From "The Nation":

 

MixUpBarGirlCondo.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Why the need for an autopsy if they have it on video?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk
 

It is the law, any foreigner who dies here has to be autopsied.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Wouldn't a normal fuse  prevent such a tragedy?

 

Nope.

 

Even a 1A fuse will carry 30 times the lethal current without flinching, the 20A breaker that the light was probably connected to wouldn't even blink.

 

An RCD/RCBO (Safe-T-Cut) device would have saved him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
A popular form of suicide at one time - sit in the bath and then bring the electric heater into the water

Just thought of that would make me want to live

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, a bit of thinking about what if scenarios, risk identification, etc, would have prevented this. Don't hang lighting on moveable objects near swimming pools! Sorry, but...

Stay clear of death traps folks.

Ok, the obligatory RIP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP.

 

Yes unfortunately the amount of current required to kill you may not trip a standard circuit breaker.

But anything near a pool would need a GFCI. A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. It is able to sense a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second.  Like the ones found in bathrooms and kitchens in the USA.

 

Of course you can bet because of poor building codes and corrupt building inspections, that even the most expensive house with standard grounded plugs IN THAILAND may not have a REAL ground connection that travels to a common EARTH ground connection in your home, or maintain the difference between hot to neutral.  

 

Its "Up to You" to check it out. Easy to do with common cheap tools.

 

Does your computer speakers buzz when unplugged?

Do you feel a slight small shock when you touch your notebook computer?

If you have a UPS, make sure you find your own ground connection or its just a waist of money.

 

Welcome to Thailand.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Wouldn't a normal fuse  prevent such a tragedy?

Not necessarily.  There can easily be enough current to jolt the guy and make him not able to move properly.  Remember sticking your finger in the light socket, OK, well here in the USA (120 volts) it can be bad but won't necessarily trip the circuit breaker and not an old style screw in fuse if that is still in use as in older houses like the one I grew up in.  Not sure how 210/220 systems handle current so I defer to the folks from the countries that use that.  And I seriously doubt that any proper wiring was used in that place in Thailand or that proper GFCI wiring with proper grounding was in place.  That might help but still might not trip

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Wouldn't a normal fuse  prevent such a tragedy?

 

Probably, almost certainly, not, but a safety switch, called by various names, Including Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker, probably would have.

 

The fatal range of current Is below 40 milliamps (40/1000 amp), so having a 15 amp CB, gives no protection.

 

Almost certainly there was no ELCB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Not the first time someone has been electrocuted in a swimming pool in Thailand and wont be the last.There is never a check or approval from an authorised person.

 

 

 

My wife and I generally stick to booking the international hotels.  Saves a lot of grief.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...