Dutch man electrocuted after falling in Hua Hin swimming pool

rooster59

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gigman said:

No no....but safety fuse would do the job  like everywhere in the normal rules world.

What is a "safety fuse" it's not a term I've seen used before?

Also, be very aware that the units marked "Safety Breaker" are not necessarily RCBOs, many are simple MCBs and would not provide the required protection (look for the "Test" button on an RCBO).

oh my goodness... I'm such an idiot.  thank you NCC1701A.

seriously, my UPS is always busted.... three of them.... busted busted busted.  but now I know why.

another note, I'm just putting in a ground etc and at Global House... you know how big they are right? lots of 2 pronged plugs, boxes of them..... but only one 3 pronged... nothing in stock....

there's even a Thai joke on this, I guess it's a joke, as I was told... "there is only one manufacturer of three pronged plugs in Thailand"... they have weird jokes. and yeah, I use "they"..... cause they say "Thai this" and "Thai that" all the live long day.... as if life were a big Batman TV show..... this is my Bat Mobile and this is my Bat Phone.... and this is... a farlang 3 pronged plug. we only have one for sale... are you going to ****buy**** it?

On 11/19/2016 at 10:44 AM, Ralf61 said:

It's just coroner's stuff to get the paperwork done. Had to witness that one on a friend of mine (who suddenly and mysteriously died short before moving out to his new girlfriend). But "autopsy" sounds much better in the news...

From "The Nation":

MixUpBarGirlCondo.jpg

Not very respectful to make a post like this right under this tragic news article. 53 likes shows what the people on this forum are really like...

That's a swimming pool in the OP? It's barely six foot square. Also, that light looks like an inspection lamp of some kind since it has a handgrip at the base of it with a two pin plug. There's a better view of it in the Daily News link (taken from the OP).

Maybe he was intending to kill somebody if he was walking around what I assume is his bathroom judging by the background, but inadvertently slipped and fell into the pool himself.

On 11/19/2016 at 10:20 AM, MiKT said:

Dear Kozmo, you are dangerously mistaken.

Standard Thai electricity supply is 230 VAC and the two wires (Line and Neutral) both carry the same 230 Volts. Either will kill you with ease if you touch one and are earthed.

In fact very often the Line and Neutral wires are interchanged so the MCB's that are the normal method of fusing here take a little longer to trip.

Many older places do not have an earth, but this is rapidly changing.

Impossible !!!! If you had 2 wires, each carrying 220v the end result at the plug would be 440v   Also have gone thru new constuction

in the Korat area and they only use 2 wires to pocket the cost for a grounded system. When you build 100 homes in a subdivision that one extra wire makes you allot of money for not using it !!! 

6 hours ago, KOZMO said:

Impossible !!!! If you had 2 wires, each carrying 220v the end result at the plug would be 440v   Also have gone thru new constuction

in the Korat area and they only use 2 wires to pocket the cost for a grounded system. When you build 100 homes in a subdivision that one extra wire makes you allot of money for not using it !!! 

6 hours ago, KOZMO said:

6 hours ago, KOZMO said:

6 hours ago, KOZMO said:

6 hours ago, KOZMO said:

Sorry Kozmo, you misunderstand me, you should read a few more of the posts above.

The Live wire carries 230VAC, the Neutral wire carries nothing when there is nothing being powered-up, but carries the same 230VAC (as the circuit return wire) when something, eg electric kettle, fire, TV, etc. is energised (switched-on) and thus can be equally dangerous if touched in the event of a fault.

Plus as I noted before, it is never safe to assume that the Line is the Live and the Neutral is safe in Thailand, the two wires are often swapped over.

But there are no Government (PEA) 120V installations in Thailand.

Also the PEA supplied 2 wire (Line and Neutral system in Korat (and many other places in Thailand) does have a earth wire, it sits above the 2 power lines on the overhead posts and you will find that one earth wire runs down each post to earth as a protection against lightning.

You could use this wire to earth your installation, but many of us in Thailand prefer to install our own earths for each building.

If by sub-division, you mean a local development of houses for instance, you may be right that the developer has not extended the overhead earth wire past his local transformer, because each house is (should be) earthed independently as I mentioned above.

To keep safe  you need to check that your own home is fully earthed and you use an RCD/ELCB/RCBO as well as MCB's for extra safety.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2016 at 1:27 PM, HerbalEd said:

Yes, the unlucky Thai. This sort of thing never happens in Europe or North America.

That's like saying certain things that happened in Nigeria or Brazil never happens in Europe or North America. Of course, since the latter places are more developed. I'm sure there are also nastier things that happens in dirt poor countries (Rwanda, Somalia, Congo, etc) that never happens in Thailand.

Archived