Muay Thai In Cr

emelianeko

Hi guys I will going to chiang rai for a 2 week visit and I am wondering if there are any good muay thai equipment selling in chiang rai? I am looking forward to buying a pair of good gloves and a banana bag. Or are there any muay thai gym around?

If there are can you please tell me the location and the name of the shop/gym ?

Thanks alot !

Cheers!

Hom Doi is the oldest part of Chiang Rai town. On its top you find the city navel pillar and one of the oldest wats of Chiang Rai.

The Muay Thai School is at the foot of this hill.

Halfway the street which goes from the CAT office (international telephone) to the Electricity Company (or, if you would cross the street, to the military golf course).

If you come from the CAT side it is on your left. You can see the boxing ring from the street, next to an old house. It is a small place, easy to miss.

Last time I visited them there were 16 or 18 kids. Most of them from poor villages.

They arrive mostly with a plastic bag containing all their possessions.

They eat and sleep on the premises. And they train and train and train. It is their work, Muay Thai. They are, even if it sounds strange when you see their poverty, professionals.

When I was there they were very excited because one of them had seen their shared dream become true: He was invited for Lumpini Park in Bangkok.

I think many of present day champions started in places like this.

I also think that they would like you visit them. They are lovely people.

Limbo

PS. There is a more sofisticated school somewhere, where also foreigners can take courses. Somebody knows?

By the way, how is Ramon Dekker, the famous Dutch Thai-boxer, doing?

Hom Doi is the oldest part of Chiang Rai town. On its top you find the city navel pillar and one of the oldest wats of Chiang Rai.

The Muay Thai School is at the foot of this hill.

Halfway the street which goes from the CAT office (international telephone) to the Electricity Company (or, if you would cross the street, to the military golf course).

If you come from the CAT side it is on your left. You can see the boxing ring from the street, next to an old house. It is a small place, easy to miss.

Last time I visited them there were 16 or 18 kids. Most of them from poor villages.

They arrive mostly with a plastic bag containing all their possessions.

They eat and sleep on the premises. And they train and train and train. It is their work, Muay Thai. They are, even if it sounds strange when you see their poverty, professionals.

When I was there they were very excited because one of them had seen their shared dream become true: He was invited for Lumpini Park in Bangkok.

I think many of present day champions started in places like this.

I also think that they would like you visit them. They are lovely people.

Limbo

PS. There is a more sofisticated school somewhere, where also foreigners can take courses. Somebody knows?

By the way, how is Ramon Dekker, the famous Dutch Thai-boxer, doing?

Thanks for the reply so there are only 2 camps in Chiang rai? So there are no equipment being sold in Chiang Rai ? Please do help me out. I do not have time to do my research when I am there because I am on a business trip and I do not have much time when I get there.

Dekker is retired and is considered a legend to many.

I hoped somebody would be better informed than I am on this subject.

If you are staying in the center of town you might try the Wang Come Department Store (close to the Wang Come Hotel, almost at the main street where you find a lot of restaurants). It is around the corner of the tuk-tuk rank.

This store has a sports department with leading brand names which in most cases refer to a better than average quality. They certainly have gloves and where there are gloves the bags cannot be far.

Good luck!

Yes, Mr. Ramon Dekker was for many years the most famous Dutchman in Thailand. Oh, from Holland? Dekkééééér!

• 1 year later...

There are probably quite few. I knew a English guy, acually very nice guy, he trained in a gym here where the rest were Thai. He was very fit but got beaten up from the 13-14 year Thais all the time.

That was 3-4 years ago but all the training camps are still here.

But I don't understand why someone wants to get beaten in that way regurlary? :D

What about golf? You can have a beer after 6 holes and another one after 13! :o

:D:D:D

No pains no gains, all martial art beginners are like sandbag where they always take the first punch and kick from their instructor or senior. Prepare to receive the first blow and don’t lose your temper. Act cool and you were always survive.