English to Thai Vocabulary List For Teachers

johnh869

"Able to" in the context of having the ability to do something. Your other two suggested meanings are correct as well. Of course, many English words have both verb and noun meanings but not all of the Thai verb and noun meanings are included in this listing.   

21 hours ago, Johnniey said:

The first one on your list is wrong.

"able to" is not  "bpen" it is "sa maat" or possibly "dai".

21 hours ago, Johnniey said:

The first one on your list is wrong.

"able to" is not  "bpen" it is "sa maat" or possibly "dai".

Well, there is no accuracy in translation even Google translating is still terrible between Thai & English.

20 hours ago, johnh869 said:

"Able to" in the context of having the ability to do something. Your other two suggested meanings are correct as well. Of course, many English words have both verb and noun meanings but not all of the Thai verb and noun meanings are included in this listing.   

Sorry I don't understand what you mean with this post. Please explain.

Edit. Ah I see you mean using "bpen" as a verb.

If you wish to discuss the Thai language, then you will have to open a topic in the Thai language section of the forum.   This one is for English.   We do appreciate the list being posted, though.  

12 hours ago, Scott said:

If you wish to discuss the Thai language, then you will have to open a topic in the Thai language section of the forum.   This one is for English.   We do appreciate the list being posted, though.  

I don't want to discuss Thai...but it seems other people do.

Thanks a lot, John. I remember that you posted your vocab many moons back and I've lost it thru a dead hd.

I just don't understand why some guys pick your first word and use a Google translation to tell you that you're wrong?

Most Thais, my wife included are using bpen....

It's worth gold, thanks. 

2 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Thanks a lot, John. I remember that you posted your vocab many moons back and I've lost it thru a dead hd.

I just don't understand why some guys pick your first word and use a Google translation to tell you that you're wrong?

Most Thais, my wife included are using bpen....

It's worth gold, thanks. 

google translation is hilarious anyway when it comes to Thai. Entirely useless, in fact it may make things even worse. But great for some free entertainment on a boring rainy day

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

Useless as you have to read Thai to understand it. Mrs teaches Thai and I showed it to her thinking it might be of use, she just laughed at it.

3 hours ago, siam2007 said:

google translation is hilarious anyway when it comes to Thai. Entirely useless, in fact it may make things even worse. But great for some free entertainment on a boring rainy day

On 11/23/2016 at 10:34 PM, johnh869 said:

I don't want to discuss Thai...but it seems other people do.

You have to use Google in bits and pieces and then it is useful. Of course you have to know written Thai well enough to utilize it in this fashion. But seriously, I think my listing is useful for Thai people learning English. I've used it many times in the past 25 years and all my Thai students thought it was helpful.

• 7 months later...
Actually, my listing can be used for learning Thai or English. So, where do you want it placed?:saai:

I do not really think that it can. If people are fluent in Thai, this list will make sense but will be useless. For people who are not fluent in Thai, they will not realize why it is misleading them in much the same way as people not fluent in time I cannot use Google translate.

If you wish to get good results in Google translate, experience is entirely necessary. Even at kindergarten level, and extremely simple phrase such as 'this is a pencil' requires you to use Google for 'นี่คือดินสอ' and 'one' and 'classifier for pencil'. 'มันเป็นดินสอ' works too. I wouldn't use that list, but for words you want to remember it's worth keeping a personal vocabulary list.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The list was only intended to help Thai students increase their English vocabulary. That's all...Yes, you need experience when using the google translator. I use it all the time and massage my final translation. Happy translating!

Archived