Why most cars on Thai Roads have very low HP?

Lammbock

16 hours ago, mortenaa said:

There are a couple of motorway stretches in Bangkok, with no turns, great surface, no cars at night and great lightning, which makes it perfect for testing out your car.

Yeah UK too always somewhere and accelerating to 200 kph ain't that fast what 125 mph, lots of motorbikes can do that 2nd.

Overtaking on some roads and in some situation is a safety factor to me. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Ahab said:

It is my understanding that the higher the horsepower the higher the taxes on the vehicle. Low HP is more economical for the majority of Thai's that own cars.

Not sure about that, i understood it that the higher taxes are based on cubic capacity of the

engine, not the BHP it produces.

The day I arrived in Thailand was the day I lost interest in owning a F355.  I had a look to see how much a Type R Civic or something would be for a more normal car.  No Have.

I shifted to what I never thought I would become - High profile squishy tyres and often thinking that the speed limit was too high in places (prior to that in UK every journey was a Cannon Ball run, always on the metal.

Maybe I'm just older and my Testosterone (the stupidity hormone) is waning.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

It is my understanding that the higher the horsepower the higher the taxes on the vehicle. Low HP is more economical for the majority of Thai's that own cars.

The taxes must really be steep for higher horsepower. My thinking stops at the point where I try to figure out how they can afford the new vehicles in the first place. I usually stop at the store next door and buy a beer and sit down at the bench in front and watch the world of new cars go by and it truly amazes me. Guess its my old school thinking way back when. I had no credit history so my uncle co-signed for the loan for my first USED car and I faithfully paid it back. I often wonder when the credit merry go round will come crashing down. 

6 hours ago, Grubster said:

I like to have enough power to pass so I got the 3.0 engine in my truck, but it amazes me how many would spend a couple million baht for a race car to drive on a dirt road

What sort of race car are they buying ?

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Ohh ok, so not race cars at all.

I can't imagine why else you would buy a car capable of tripling the speed limit in ten seconds. If you drive that fast I would call it racing even if its just against your own ego.

Just now, Grubster said:

I can't imagine why else you would buy a car capable of tripling the speed limit in ten seconds. If you drive that fast I would call it racing even if its just against your own ego.

Ohh ok, bwahahahahaha.

16 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Yes, exactly.  

At 3.00am or 4.00am perhaps on the right road.

Why?  One reason would be to get to your destination quicker.

a heavenly destination I suppose... hope you go it alone and don't take another in less of a hurry... or an innocent kid who had nothing to gain by your need to arrive more quickly. 

17 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Yes, exactly.  

At 3.00am or 4.00am perhaps on the right road.

Why?  One reason would be to get to your destination quicker.

If only all the vehicles had working tail lights.  

Overdrive your visibility at your own peril.  Unfortunately, none of us drives in a vacuum, and the people we kill may not be us.

3 hours ago, irwinfc said:

without breaking the law? there are speed limits, you know? and the limits are way below 200kph

"...there are speed limits, you know?"

Wow.  What does it feel like to be maybe the only person never to have exceeded a speed limit?

On 22/11/2016 at 1:30 PM, monkey4u said:

If the speed limit is 90, why would you want to drive at 200

There are more than enough idiots lined up waiting to die with the cars available now

200K is only 120MPH. Not that fast for short periods. More fun at 300K

Another point the the go-slow gonads fail to appreciate is that most of the speed limits here in Thailand and in the West were devised years ago. In the UK the 30mph limit was introduced in the 1930. The 70mph limit in 1965. 

Cars have come a long way since then. Back then regular family cars struggled to exceed 80mph and having a car that could do "a ton" (100mph) was a big thing.

drum brakes, no servo assistance, no airbags, no driver aids or sensors, no ABS or traction control. Many of todays cars can exceed the max speed limit in 2nd gear. They also stop in a far shorter distance and have had huge improvements in passive and active safety features. 

So cars are far more capable nowadays. Especially sports cars and high performance sedans and SUVs. That for me is one of the main reasons to buy a "performance" car. No just better acceleration and top speed but better braking performance, better steering, better suspension, better tires and far more technology. ABS, multiple airbags ( not just one for the driver ) various driving modes to suit different conditions and intelligent suspension.

To me a "sports" car or  performance SUV ( Thinking Porsche Macan/Cayenne or Audi Q7 not a Fortuna ) is just a much safer bet. If I have to face an emergency situation I'd rather have a vehicle powerful and nimble enough to avoid a crash and if not well designed enough to protect its occupants. 

Some years ago I was inquiring as to why a Toyota truck only had one airbag ? The salesgirls response was, "Thai people not interested in safety"  Either that or they just don't want to or can't afford to pay for it. Not much different to riding a motorbike with a crappy cheap helmet. 

So having a powerful car isn't about wanting to exceed the speed limit. Yes I know I can but Somchai in his shi77y old pick-up can too. It's about driving pleasure, safety and comfort and knowing that at moderate speed the car is well within it's designed limits and performance zone. Not something you can say of a 10yr old pick-up being driven at 140kph on a wet road by a poorly trained local.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:07 PM, sotsira said:

Not sure about that, i understood it that the higher taxes are based on cubic capacity of the

engine, not the BHP it produces.

You might be right, but for most stock vehicles HP roughly correlates with cubic inches of displacement.

On 11/28/2016 at 3:13 AM, Ahab said:

You might be right, but for most stock vehicles HP roughly correlates with cubic inches of displacement.

Not when you consider the amount of HP  turbocharged  and supercharged engines 

have compared with their displacement.

The new Civic RS is 1498cc with 173BHP

It would be interesting to know which tax bracket they would fall in to. 

On 11/25/2016 at 5:46 PM, johng said:

120 mph on Thai roads is very fast considering the things that other drivers do,potholes,dog's,buffalo,
elephants etc etc

Really not safe to drive at 120mph in thailand

fastest i have ever driven here is on the road between the boat terminal at Surat Thani and Krabi before people started to build along it, a long straight road like you find in North West Australia

Drove at a maximum of 135kph/85 mph , still had the occasional motorbike or dog appear from nowhere which you had to slow down quickly to avoid hitting  

Archived