Mafia crackdown: Koh Samet gearing up for trouble as soldiers descend on holiday island today

webfact

On 11/21/2016 at 8:19 PM, sscsamui said:

I wish they would come here to Koh Samui and get rid of ALL the Mafia Tugs here, Mainly the Taxi Mafia... It is Bad.

Also the Land office is as corrupt as can be...

Land encroachment,,, People taking over Beaches... But Nothing is done about it all

Talking about "Land enroachment" on Koh Samui.   They did recently assist the Suthep family re arrange the boundaries of their property by about 47 rai. Plus deal out some punishment for this unfortunate mistake by the Suthep's

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2016 at 8:19 PM, louse1953 said:

Some of you farangs make me laugh.You complain about the "mafia"ect.,but you have all been there putting money in their pockets.Yes i have been there but a long time ago,pre mafia.

For those of us who live here, there were occaisions when we really had no choice, however a lot of this is slowly changing for the better.

On 11/21/2016 at 8:31 PM, louse1953 said:

Not sure about KT,it is a marine national park,not the actual island.

I believe that  Farming and Fishing rights were given to a couple of families ages ago, however things have advanced far beyond those rights, so it all needs looking into.

On 11/21/2016 at 2:40 PM, OJAS said:

Koh Samet, the setting for a new version of the 1957 film "Gunfight At The OK Corral"?? :shock1:

I definitely heard the sound of fireworks here coming from the direction of Samet earlier on this evening.

At least I think it was the sound of fireworks and not gunfire.......

On ‎22‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 11:15 AM, zaZa9 said:

Agree that this isnt about corruption per se .

This is black and white , its about whether a building , ANY building , is on gazetted public land , or if it is not.

The law is clear , the sand is Crown Land .

So in Phuket so far EVERY building on  the sands of every public beach has been removed. Even those built by the Or Bor Tor..

I guess you'd say 'delicate negotiations ' failed.

The more difficult job of determining boundaries inland , in a country only just recently beginning to utilize modern surveying techniques, will take time.

But there are 'developments' covering all ranges of wealth , from camps to luxury resorts , already closed and demolished , and Im sure you've read about this here on TV. ( Phu Kao and Sirinath NPs being 2 examples I can think of now )

Critics want every action of the Army to be about anti-corruption measures.

Ive never been silly enough to expect that .

Others insist that those who have been 'run off' should  be charged and pay back rent.

Clearly this is not happening , so I dont know why they carp on about it.... the judiciary is cumbersome and a mess , and as such by-passed altogether by the army.

"Anti-democratic" they will yelp , implying that they want to believe a Junta should be democratic ...555

I guess the naysayers  need to cling onto some scraps of their 'anti' argument ,  albeit while they watch their "Nothing will Change" mantra disproven daily ...

I look forward to seeing the condos south of Hua Hin town demolished then. They are all encroached below high tide. I found that out when I attempted to walk along the beach at high tide and it was waist deep at the reclamation walls.

The developer scum didn't even provide a path on top of the walls.

On ‎22‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 1:41 PM, sandrabbit said:

I don't understand them not allowing people to camp on the beaches, there is not enough accommodation on the island to cope if they stop this as during songkran and the new year you can't move due to the amount of young Thais partying there. As for the speed boats, companies like white shark actually provide a needed service as the slow ferry services are quite inflexible. We would hire a boat from white shark and cross to the island about midnight and go partying at ploy then get picked up between 3 & 4 am to go back to the mainland for a reasonable price. If you want to avoid the national park fee at Na Dan then don't walk straight to Sai Kaew, walk down the streets to the left of the main road past the wat.

I would imagine it is for the same reason New Zealand doesn't allow freedom campers. Too many people crapping all over the place.

Unless it's changed since I was there last, there are no public toilets on Samet beaches.

If there are too many people, the park officials should earn their money and stop boats bringing more than the correct number of people. They know exactly how many people arrive as they are there with hands out for the park fee. 

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I look forward to seeing the condos south of Hua Hin town demolished then. They are all encroached below high tide. I found that out when I attempted to walk along the beach at high tide and it was waist deep at the reclamation walls.

The developer scum didn't even provide a path on top of the walls.

Lol... same at railley beach in karbi....but they are some high end resorts... so I doubt they will be touched

42 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Lol... same at railley beach in karbi....but they are some high end resorts... so I doubt they will be touched

They are taking out the illegally built pool by the sea here in Pattaya.  High end resort.  They've got 90 days to do it or the army will.

On 11/21/2016 at 1:19 PM, mcfish said:

<hidden post removed>
So your actually saying that they should take over from the bib and continue the corruption? They already have the ultimate power so your posts makes zero sense

Personally I hope they keep power for as long as it takes to rid Thailand of its despicable mafia.

Don't &lt;deleted&gt; with the army! Strong message indeed :-)

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

They could done this a long time ago already. This is all just for show.

Archived