BANGKOK 25 May 2019 12:41
Sign in to follow this  
h90

Koh Lipe

Have just spent a week on koh lee-pae,excellent like patong beach 30 yrs ago,good snorkelling, excellent seafood, varin resort was good, try darya bungalows on beach 700baht, but not advertised,layback relax place ,families welcome. I will return

regards songkhlasid

I want to go to Koh Lipe. Nok Air has a flight to Trang leaving at 9am, and then there is a TigerLine Travel boat leaving Trang Port (Hat Yao) at 12:30pm arriving Koh Lipe at 3:00pm. Tigerline Travel said they will pick you up at Trang Airport for an extra 100 baht per person, and you will make the ferry no problem.

However, I am hesitant to spend 2.5 hours on a ferry - long journey.

Instead, I could fly to Hat Yai. It looks like the ferry ride from Pakbara is much shorter - 1.5 hours. But the woman from Tigerline said getting from Hat Yai airport to Pakbara Pier is time-consuming, difficult and expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions on the easiest way to get from Bangkok to Koh Lipe in a single day.

Link: http://www.tigerlinetravel.com/index.php?cat=lineboat

I want to go to Koh Lipe. Nok Air has a flight to Trang leaving at 9am, and then there is a TigerLine Travel boat leaving Trang Port (Hat Yao) at 12:30pm arriving Koh Lipe at 3:00pm. Tigerline Travel said they will pick you up at Trang Airport for an extra 100 baht per person, and you will make the ferry no problem.

Instead, I could fly to Hat Yai. It looks like the ferry ride from Pakbara is much shorter - 1.5 hours. But the woman from Tigerline said getting from Hat Yai airport to Pakbara Pier is time-consuming, difficult and expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions on the easiest way to get from Bangkok to Koh Lipe in a single day.

I always went to Koh Lipe using the Hat Yai way but it can be boring to spend a night in Hat Yai, so I will try the trang way next time.

Hat Yai to Pak Bara takes 2 hours at least (but it's cheap), then 1.5 hours to Koh Lipe by speed boat and 4 hours with slow boat, so it seems better to go from Trang.

Please tell us after you try it.

I always went to Koh Lipe using the Hat Yai way but it can be boring to spend a night in Hat Yai, so I will try the trang way next time.

Hat Yai to Pak Bara takes 2 hours at least (but it's cheap), then 1.5 hours to Koh Lipe by speed boat and 4 hours with slow boat, so it seems better to go from Trang.

Please tell us after you try it.

We usually take the first flight from BKK to Hat Yai in the morning. Minivan to Pak Bara and Ferry to Lipe and we are usually in a bungalow by 4pm.

Cheers,

Paul

Hey guys I am in a bit of a bind as I booked tickets on Air Asias earliest flight to Hat Yai which arrives at 1200. I understand the last speedboat leaves at 1 pm, but that it takes 1.5 hrs at least to get to the port. Is that true? Is there any other way to get there?

Reef fish = fish that is part of the ecosystem around a coral reef. Parrot fish are the largish fish who shimmer in bright turqoise and pink, and whom you can hear munching at the corals when you are snorkling.

The sea gypsies on Lipe made Thai national TV two years ago. They were not happy about the situation, realising too late that there was a lot of money to be made off tourism, and now feeling cheated by the Thai and foreign investors who had bought their properties.

Some people I know who have been there say the island is beautiful, but complain about the slow service level and unfriendly nature of the bungalow staff.

But things can change in a few years I guess, no better way to find out than to look yourself.

I spent two winters on Koh Bulon and went to Lipe and Adang 15 years ago ; there were lots of bungalows on Lipe already (I was at Paul's place on the beach)or was it Adang ?? Never mind, my point is the Chao Lay sea gypsies have been pretty well aware of the possibilities of tourism for a long time, they manned the longtails that tourists used to come in; some worked in Langkawi according to the season. But they usually didn't have land papers .There was already money from BKK in Bulon .

One story I remember is the one of the German diving instructor who had probably the first diving resort in these tiny islands and was made to leave at gun point, leaving all his equipment behind .Not by chao lay.

And the familyof the nice Lee resort on Bulon who were harassed (one shot) by

men from Pakbara. So of course the chao lay didn't stand a chanceto keep hold of the islands.

I'd be glad to have news from the people there : Khun Jieb the wonderful cook , Ban Win , Chen, Rosette, Nan, Boat the chao lay fishermen,,Captain Roland who could breathe underwater, Cameron the Canadian married to Deewanna , Zeppo the brave sea farer, Paul the great architect.

Avoid Pakbara, especially its banks.

Hi all,

We do love koh Lepi very much. We bought our cheap air tickets from the web. Got a great deal on Air Asia. We are in Chiangmai at the moment and will fly to Hat Yai in 2 days.

We going to take PADI Dive courses there. Looking forward to be in Lepi again.

Edited by thaiphoon
URL's removed