Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

The anti-Trump resistance takes shape: 'Government's supposed to fear us'

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:


Too busy sitting on him on a baht bus ... he wouldn't yield.

Sitting on his butt in the baht bus. Wish we had a baht bus in Chiang Mai. Oh well Uber has come to town. Its like making a decision between job destruction (Uber) vs the surly taxi Mafia. I am rather surprised that the Taxi Mafia has not been more vocal its not like them to take something like this sitting down. Out of pure frustration with the old offerings of transportation maybe I will give Uber a try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Follows in the same vein as Brexit. The next day people in America woke and said "My God What Have I Done" Oh well the next four years should be exiting. If the Donald does not deliver its goodbye to all 3 houses forever. And then there is this.  The assassination of Julius Caesar was the result of a conspiracy by many Republican senators. Funny how Trump seems to resemble Caesar. 

 

I head Julius Caesar's lawyers are contemplating a huge defamation lawsuit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Morch said:

 

I head Julius Caesar's lawyers are contemplating a huge defamation law suit.  

What number is that I have lost track he has filed so many. Bill Maher stated on his show that the Donald zeroed in on him for something. When your a sitting president can you still file a defamation lawsuit or is it still/just considered free speech?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Strange said:

 

The era when nobody was called a racist or hateful during a simple debate. 

 

It makes any logical discussion impossible. 

 

Not much into labeling, but how does one reference racism without calling it racist?

I'm not talking about slinging it at every available opportunity, which may have been what you meant by "simple debate", though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

or starters, the douchebags on the streets need to grow up, start working …..

 

they are working…that is their job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

What number is that I have lost track he has filed so many. Bill Maher stated on his show that the Donald zeroed in on him for something. When your a sitting president can you still file a defamation lawsuit or is it still/just considered free speech?

 

Quote

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange.
Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”


― Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Morch said:

 

Winning candidates are not accountable for statements and promises made on the campaign trail? That's an quite an interesting bit of political science. As for "give the guy a chance" - given many were directly opposed to his views before he won, why would they be expected to give him a chance post-elections? The fact that he won does not cancel the views of those who oppose him.

Re. the first sentence, I don't know how often campaign promises have been carried out in the US - but in the UK campaign promises are generally considered (by politicians) to be a 'possibility' rather than a promise, once elected.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Morch said:

 

Not much into labeling, but how does one reference racism without calling it racist?

I'm not talking about slinging it at every available opportunity, which may have been what you meant by "simple debate", though.

I think the problem is that anyone saying that immigration is a problem, is labeled a racist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

The "elite" holding power??   Would you prefer a bunch of down and out, welfare dependent nobodies, running the country??  That would be a sure path to ruin, in short time.

 

Most who have achieved intellectual and economic "elitism" have done so after years of damned hard work. Those who haven't, to varying degrees, don't choose to put in the years of hard slog, and that's their choice, but don't condemn those who do make that choice and are prepared to dedicate their lives to their cause, for whatever reasons.

 

The "elite" employ, buy, travel, etc., so circulate the money, building companies,  creating jobs, etc.   

 

I know who I'd prefer to have running the country.

 

And then there's "elites" born right into it. Like Trump.

Trickle down economics again? No thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Re. the first sentence, I don't know how often campaign promises have been carried out in the US - but in the UK campaign promises are generally considered (by politicians) to be a 'possibility' rather than a promise, once elected.....

 

But they are never ever forgotten, and no one expects the opposition to ignore them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Morch said:

 

But they are never ever forgotten, and no one expects the opposition to ignore them.

Unfortunately (in my experience) the campaign promises are v quickly forgotten!

 

Mind you, in this case - that's probably a good thing to a certain extent :smile:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I think the problem is that anyone saying that immigration is a problem, is labeled a racist.

 

Fair enough, although I do not think it is all that encompassing. But then there's also a fair amount of actual racist views expressed when discussing immigration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

 

 

There would have been none.  As ClutchClark said in an earlier post, there would have been a bit of grumbling around the coffee machine, and back to work.

 

Republican supporters are busy at work.   It's the welfare dependent left who have time for street protests..

 

One of the things highlighted by Trump and his supporters during the elections campaign was the high attendance at his rallies. That was described as people feeling strongly about things. No issues raised with how they were making time for it. How are the current protests different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

 

 

Lots of rhetoric, but what ACTUALLY happened??

 

This seems to characterize a lot of Trump's statements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Morch said:

 

One of the things highlighted by Trump and his supporters during the elections campaign was the high attendance at his rallies. That was described as people feeling strongly about things. No issues raised with how they were making time for it. How are the current protests different?

I'm assuming that the rallies didn't go on for many days?

 

Not that it matters as I'm assuming (admittedly, never a good idea!) that the protesters are taking a day's holiday every now and again.  Apart from the students of course, for whom it is far easier to take a few days 'off'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...