The anti-Trump resistance takes shape: 'Government's supposed to fear us'

webfact

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Francisco, California, USA 

"Island" of resistance in the trump era.

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors recently passed a resolution, introduced by Board President London Breed, in response to the election of Donald Trump. The resolution reads as follows:

WHEREAS, On November 8, 2016, Donald Trump was elected to become the 45th President of the United States; now, therefore, be it

http://sfbaytimes.com/san-franciscos-official-response-to-the-election-of-trump/

On ‎25‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 7:59 AM, Credo said:

Asian countries are notoriously racist, if that is the right term for it.  But they are cultures that are built on a relatively singular ethnic group and changes in the ethnic and cultural makeup have been very slow.   

During the time I worked in Europe, I was also surprised at the amount of racism, or quasi nationalism that was present.   It was not particularly hateful, but it was ever present.   I would think that the strengthening of the EU and a sense of a united Europe has lessened this along with the influx of immigrants which have focused more negativity on them than on neighboring countries.

The US, Canada and Australia are built a different system.   They are strongly immigrant nations and have large, diverse populations.    In the US, the rhetoric from Trump and some of the groups that supported him have exacerbated this dislike and have put it on the forefront.   

My Asian partner lived in the US for over a year while I continued to reside in Asia due to work commitments.   There were some minor issues which could be attributed to race, but nothing serious.   The campaign saw this intensify and there is a pervasive nervousness, which has crept in.

As I have said, I don't think Trump is personally a racist.   He is pragmatist and he does business in a lot of countries.   He does, however, need to accept some responsibility to bringing the underbelly of this problem to the surface and hopefully will address it with his followers.   

Had previous governments done their jobs and sorted the border, there would be no problem now.

It just happens that Trump is prepared to speak out about a situation that previous presidential candidates have ignored, and when elected failed to do anything that made a difference.

On 11/22/2016 at 11:54 AM, Watchout4 said:

well, he's going to abolish trade agreements and he want's to build a wall . He's saying that Islam is an ideology rather than a religion, which not many other countries are going to agree with . Is that not seclusion ?

I think quite the opposite....Islam IS a political ideology, and more....It give instruction on everything from how to conduct a war to how to conduct oral sex (she's not permitted to swallow)!!!    That's a wide ranging manual, much better than you'll get with your Honda Wave.

On 11/25/2016 at 0:56 PM, Ulysses G. said:

They seem to be the same professional protesters who came out of the woodwork at any excuse when I lived in San Francisco. The Occupy Wallstreet crowd.

Same old 'rent a crowd, dependent on the taxpayer for a handout, and a handout that the democrats would happily continue to secure support/votes.

On 11/27/2016 at 5:39 PM, Jingthing said:

San Francisco, California, USA 

"Island" of resistance in the trump era.

http://sfbaytimes.com/san-franciscos-official-response-to-the-election-of-trump/

Grandstanding garbage.

It was inevitable he would change his tone post election, and he has.   He'll be kept in line by his advisers, as they all are.

On 11/22/2016 at 0:28 AM, Jingthing said:

Note, I had changed the word resistance which I knew in my heart was what was happening now, to opposition, to soften it, because some people were spinning the word resistance to necessary connote violence. It does not. Resistance can be NON-VIOLENT.

The word resistance can't be avoided any longer. It's cropping up EVERYWHERE to describe this new movement, that started the moment the absurdly unfit for president demagogue trump crossed the 270 mark. It's the only word that fits and is true. 

President trump? Yes, tragically, we need to get used to it.

Resistance to President trump, yes, HOPEFULLY, we need to get used to that TOO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/21/why-jews-have-a-special-obligation-to-resist-trump/?utm_term=.e14875417b42

Thank you for this link. I agree WHOLE heatedly with the article. 

Some suggestions for the RESISTANCE from Kareem Abdul-Jabber:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/12/01/kareem-abdul-jabbar-how-boycotts-could-help-sway-trump/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.d61cb55e423e

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: How boycotts could help sway Trump

That’s only one of the reasons that the “Give Trump a chance” philosophy is a bad one. We need to start actively re-establishing what our values are before they are slowly eroded, one bad choice at a time. By “actively,” I mean that we need to commit to an aggressive plan of peaceful actions as part of a new civil disobedience. And by “we,” I mean every supporter of the constitutional guarantees of equality, especially people of color, women, immigrants, Muslims, Jews, the LGBT community and anyone else who has been marginalized by this election.

Hopefully the "resistance" will be coming up with better economic policies than what was on offer in 2016. That, after all is one of the main reasons why their team lost. Here's a pretty even handed piece by one of Trump's most vocal critics. He's not at all sure Trump will be successful, but he does note that Trump "gets" what some of the problems are and that the "resistance" still doesn't.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-carrier-deal-2016-12

More thoughts on the resistance:

The Rage of 2016

... But of course “the people” were only part of a divided population, millions and millions of whom did not want — and will resist — the global nationalist and authoritarian lurch. They will do so on the streets, in the courts, via the press and through the checks and balances the framers of the Constitution created precisely to rein in a demagogue. Still, Mr. Trump has enormous powers, a Republican-controlled Congress and a mission to make America great again, whatever that means or takes.

The struggle to preserve liberalism will be long. It may well be led now by the likes of Angela Merkel in Germany and Justin Trudeau in Canada. The mantle of custodian of the well-being of the free world sounds like a rip-off to Mr. Trump, who thinks deals and little else. It could well be that America has passed the torch.

Some important voices of the RESISTANCE. It's clear to me VAN JONES will be prominent in this.

Van Jones Knows What We Have to Do Next

Listen, we're gonna lose a lot of appointments, we're gonna lose a lot of bills, a lot of legislative fights. We're gonna lose much more than we win at the level of policy and politics. We've got ground to make up now on the level of values. So I'm gonna be calling for national days of action, love-army days of action. Once a week, we're gonna nationally reach out and do national teach-ins. Do one on the Muslims, do one on the Native Americans, one on the Hispanic population. It's not the women over here, the blacks over here, the Latinos over there. That's gonna be an important thing, and just getting those teach-ins going across the country. Getting big concerts going across the country just to restore people's faith and getting people re-engaged. You're not by yourself crying. There are tens of millions of people who agree with you. You're just disconnected from them. So the first thing we need to do is reach everybody who's shattered and blown apart. We have to reconnect people to our values first.

http://www.gq.com/story/van-jones-knows-the-messy-truth?mbid=synd_digg

Video:

Warning! Very loud and very angry from Keith Olbermann -- :shock1:

http://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net/5845e5e5fd2e6166d9000022/9d9c4c79-a116-4c40-bf20-8d35c07d477flow.webm

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some important voices of the RESISTANCE. It's clear to me VAN JONES will be prominent in this.

Van Jones Knows What We Have to Do Next

http://www.gq.com/story/van-jones-knows-the-messy-truth?mbid=synd_digg

Video:

Warning! Very loud and very angry from Keith Olbermann -- :shock1:

http://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net/5845e5e5fd2e6166d9000022/9d9c4c79-a116-4c40-bf20-8d35c07d477flow.webm

I remember when Crossfire first came on the air. I think it was the first program that presented polarizing argument as entertainment. No exploring of issues, no truth telling, just talking points presented by extremist foes designed to get viewers worked up.

I always thought it was funny that at the end of the show in which these political foes would be screaming at and talking over each other, seemingly enraged, that they'd all be laughing and slapping each other on the back as the camera faded out. As if they all knew it was just a joke and the joke was on the viewers of that crap.

An inspiring article directly related to the resistance:

Now is the time to resist the slightest extension in the boundaries of what is right and just. Now is the time to speak up and to wear as a badge of honor the opprobrium of bigots. Now is the time to confront the weak core at the heart of America’s addiction to optimism; it allows too little room for resilience, and too much for fragility. Hazy visions of “healing” and “not becoming the hate we hate” sound dangerously like appeasement. The responsibility to forge unity belongs not to the denigrated but to the denigrators. The premise for empathy has to be equal humanity; it is an injustice to demand that the maligned identify with those who question their humanity.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/now-is-the-time-to-talk-about-what-we-are-actually-talking-about

On 12/3/2016 at 3:51 PM, Morch said:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=55815066

Nobody said the resistance was going to be a garden party. It's developing in many forms and it must and will continue, including "retro" underground comics. The USA faces an existential threat now to the best of our values. Over half of Americans get that. We won't be silenced.

Michael Moore is getting MILITANT!:intheclub:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/entertainment/entertainment-news/Michael-Moore-Tweets-Inauguration-Protest-Petition-405469775.html

"Disrupt the Inauguration. The Majority have spoken - by nearly 2.7 million votes and counting!" Moore wrote. "Silence is not an option."

I think it's already very obvious that the naysayers that asserted that the resistance to trump was going to be a short lived flash in the pan thing were totally wrong. It's building strongly now and there is no way it doesn't continue as long as the orange "populist" demagogue absurdly holds the office of president. If it comes to pass, that Pence replaces him, there will still be protest and dissent, but it would be more normal.

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I hadn't seen this before.  I was concerned when Kelly Anne Conway recently described DT as a "transactional" leader.   When a problem presents itself, he asks for the Cliff Notes.  If he's in fact not attending the NSC briefings, then Michael Moore is right on this.

On ‎08‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 2:02 AM, lannarebirth said:

I remember when Crossfire first came on the air. I think it was the first program that presented polarizing argument as entertainment. No exploring of issues, no truth telling, just talking points presented by extremist foes designed to get viewers worked up.

I always thought it was funny that at the end of the show in which these political foes would be screaming at and talking over each other, seemingly enraged, that they'd all be laughing and slapping each other on the back as the camera faded out. As if they all knew it was just a joke and the joke was on the viewers of that crap.

That's because it is a joke, on the sheeple.

There is a real and lucrative politics as entertainment business. Fox indulges in all the time. They get two or more people to "debate" the current issues. sometimes it gets quite heated, but at the end of the segment, usually all are pals again.

I don't watch CNN or any of the other overtly biased media channels, so don't know if it applies on those channels.

13 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I hadn't seen this before.  I was concerned when Kelly Anne Conway recently described DT as a "transnational" leader.   When a problem presents itself, he asks for the Cliff Notes.  If he's in fact not attending the NSC briefings, then Michael Moore is right on this.

I used to think Moore was right, especially when showing up the diabolical Bush the younger, but having seen him now, he seems to have been smoking too many "funny" cigarettes. IMO he has lost the plot, and wandered off into the weeds.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to think Moore was right, especially when showing up the diabolical Bush the younger, but having seen him now, he seems to have been smoking too many "funny" cigarettes. IMO he has lost the plot, and wandered off into the weeds.

Maybe he has.  But if Trump isn't attending NSC briefings, which he bloody well needs, then Moore telling him to do so and get up to speed, is not off in the weeds. 

33 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Maybe he has.  But if Trump isn't attending NSC briefings, which he bloody well needs, then Moore telling him to do so and get up to speed, is not off in the weeds. 

No worries. Pence is attending these meetings and is secretly running the show as Don the Prez finds all that stuff way too boring and would rather gallivant around on his "Gosh darn I'm great" Thank You tour. Pence's plan is to keep Don the Prez and his followers busy with shiny objects and monster truck style rallies while quietly filling in cabinet positions with ultra-conservatives and far right extremists.

Former Clinton staffer launches an anti-trump website:

A former senior staffer for Hillary Clinton’s campaign has launched a new website to highlight Donald Trump’s alleged corruption, with a foul-mouthed URL to match its mission: corrupt.af.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/matt-ortega-trump-corruption-site-232401

Donald Trump continues to prove himself to be an authoritarian kleptocrat that's corrupt AF—and he's only getting started.

https://corrupt.af/

Says a lot:

CzNAzcHUkAAZMfP.jpg

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Meanwhile, Trump fills stadiums with cheering people that are soooo happy he won and that she didn't.

And who is paying for these "Pay Attention to Me!" Thank You tours anyway? And what is exactly the point of them?

6 minutes ago, Silurian said:

And who is paying for these "Pay Attention to Me!" Thank You tours anyway? And what is exactly the point of them?

Who cares......change is coming and his base are happy so why not celebrate.

So far I'm pleased with his choices and I'm looking forward to his picks for the Supreme Court :) can't wait to see all the lefty numpties scream when real change comes from the Supreme Court.

5 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Who cares......change is coming and his base are happy so why not celebrate.

So far I'm pleased with his choices and I'm looking forward to his picks for the Supreme Court :) can't wait to see all the lefty numpties scream when real change comes from the Supreme Court.

Funny about the first SCOTUS pick. The republicans STOLE that. There was no excuse not to consider Garland for a vote.

Archived