Koh Tao Alarmed By Growing Trash Pile

webfact

Koh Tao Alarmed By Growing Trash Pile

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

201611211016172-20050615140928.jpg

An aerial view of the rubbish pile on Koh Tao.

KOH TAO — The island once known for its picturesque diving spots and laid-back beach scene is at the risk of being overwhelmed by the ever-increasing pile of garbage.

The alarm was sounded Monday by Koh Tao’s kamnan Kobchai Saowalak as he led Surat Thani governor to visit the site of the rubbish mountain at the island’s disused trash incinerator plant. He called upon the mainland authorities to take action before the garbage caused irreversible damage to Koh Tao’s environment.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/environment/2016/11/21/koh-tao-alarmed-growing-trash-pile/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-21

just another example of the greedy mindset - take take take but not willing to spend 1 baht on the environmental mess they create, aren't all the Islands the same - isn't there a very obvious problem that has been going on for years

"disused trash incinerator plant."

How about..... buying a new incinerator, one that can be used to generate electricity to help make the island a bit more self sufficient? A far better option than investing in a 3 rai landfill. Which will eventually become full. So the problem is just booted down the road and will re appear. 

Is there an incinerator in Thailand that works? 

Like everything else from airline safety to fishing stocks, Thais are never going to do anything about the terrible environmental problems until they have to...or it's too late. 

They probably are going to introduce a tourist garbage disposal tax. It is just a matter who is going to pay for it. Easiest will be to move all the garbage to the mainland and process it there. Burning the stuff on the island will chase all tourists away.

34 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

yes but it is covered with tarps right? why doesnt koh tao use the same tried and tested solution?

They have started to cover this lot with tarps as you can see in the pict

all you need is some high wind to descend on this tip and the problem will be all over the island, evenly distributed 

With a really good rainstorm, the incinerating plant will also be rubbish, well and truly buried.   3 million tourists a year and no proper planning for getting rid of rubbish.  Meanwhile other tourist spots have problems with drainage and sewage disposal.

What a surprise.  It is amazing how these problems can creep up on you just because 32 million tourists happen to come to the country each year bringing trillions of baht with them, which would of course be "wasted" if spent in  solving these problems.  

15 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

With a really good rainstorm, the incinerating plant will also be rubbish, well and truly buried.   3 million tourists a year and no proper planning for getting rid of rubbish.  Meanwhile other tourist spots have problems with drainage and sewage disposal.

What a surprise.  It is amazing how these problems can creep up on you just because 32 million tourists happen to come to the country each year bringing trillions of baht with them, which would of course be "wasted" if spent in  solving these problems.  

i had heard the incinerator operator contract was up and the new mob dont know how to run it. have to wonder if they are being paid. the trash has to be burned when it come in dry. most of it will end up in the ocean i guess.

15 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

Any more references to murders and bodies being hidden, this topic will be closed...

To be fair it is going to be locked sooner or later as it is a negative topic and they tend to get closed - these days PDQ if a Koh Tao topic.

just another example of the greedy mindset - take take take but not willing to spend 1 baht on the environmental mess they create, aren't all the Islands the same - isn't there a very obvious problem that has been going on for years

My guess is this one is next on the list after the army finishes with samet today and it will be cleaning up the human garbage as well

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

To be fair it is going to be locked sooner or later as it is a negative topic and they tend to get closed - these days PDQ if a Koh Tao topic.

Yes,

because more complaints about the constant discussions which have nothing to do with the topic...

8 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i had heard the incinerator operator contract was up and the new mob dont know how to run it. have to wonder if they are being paid. the trash has to be burned when it come in dry. most of it will end up in the ocean i guess.

Fella who ran it done a runner or something like that. Was in the news a few months buck... Let me go see if I can find the thread....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/941577-tourists-flee-stinking-trash-on-koh-tao/

The contract between the municipality and Success Environment Management Co Ltd (SEM), the operators of the incinerator, ended in August but it does not say who actually owns the incinerator. It does suggest that SEM ran the operation but this would likely be in the same way that a subcontractor works.

The contract was not renewed because the company was not fulfilling its obligations and was mismanaging the trash,” said Mr Auaychai, adding that plans were afoot to implement a 6 million baht solution.

Mr Auaychai refused to elaborate on the problems with SEM, nor would he give any details of the proposed multi-million baht solution, stating that it would be "discussed" at an upcoming inspection visit of the facility by Region 45 Army Chief Ayupan Kannasut.

[...]

“We were told by the boss to wait for our wages before he headed off to the mainland ‘for business reasons’. He left Koh Tao with all his belongings,” said Mr Ali.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tourists-flee-stinking-trash-Koh-Tao/65513?desktopversion#ad-image-0

I commented this at the time [40 ton a day times 21 days is 840 ton which means there was already 44,160 ton before the breakdown]. From the above links along with other news I read at the time it seems that the volume of waste in a given period was higher than could be processed in that same period meaning that the 'yet to burn' pile just got bigger and bigger. I would also seem that the incinerator was functioning up until the time it was turned off. Some of this 'not working' could be down to translation and this is something I'm sure we have all come across at some stage. An example would be something from a good few years back which I will just brush upon.

Had a problem with the electricity in the house so landlady called someone to fix it. I went out for a short time and upon return the chap was packing up. Now work, I asked. No he said. I walked over and tried the light and it went on? The problem (translation) was not that it did not work but that it was not working in that it was not being used. If I turn off my motorbike then it is no longer working meaning the engine is not being used. It is off.

1 hour ago, notmyself said:

Fella who ran it done a runner or something like that. Was in the news a few months buck... Let me go see if I can find the thread....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/941577-tourists-flee-stinking-trash-on-koh-tao/

The contract between the municipality and Success Environment Management Co Ltd (SEM), the operators of the incinerator, ended in August but it does not say who actually owns the incinerator. It does suggest that SEM ran the operation but this would likely be in the same way that a subcontractor works.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tourists-flee-stinking-trash-Koh-Tao/65513?desktopversion#ad-image-0

I commented this at the time [40 ton a day times 21 days is 840 ton which means there was already 44,160 ton before the breakdown]. From the above links along with other news I read at the time it seems that the volume of waste in a given period was higher than could be processed in that same period meaning that the 'yet to burn' pile just got bigger and bigger. I would also seem that the incinerator was functioning up until the time it was turned off. Some of this 'not working' could be down to translation and this is something I'm sure we have all come across at some stage. An example would be something from a good few years back which I will just brush upon.

Had a problem with the electricity in the house so landlady called someone to fix it. I went out for a short time and upon return the chap was packing up. Now work, I asked. No he said. I walked over and tried the light and it went on? The problem (translation) was not that it did not work but that it was not working in that it was not being used. If I turn off my motorbike then it is no longer working meaning the engine is not being used. It is off.

good info and probably should have been in the article.  hard to know what is really going on. the need to call sweden to show them how to reduce waste through recycling. worked well when the  called the dutch over to stop the flooding in bangkok.

While driving around Koh Larn i noticed the locals throwing binbags full of plastic in the forest. They were not happy to see me.

Koh larn mafia are on their last legs. It's a national park with a zillion low class "resorts". Hopefully they will bulldoze them all!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Archived