Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

Jonathan Fairfield

Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

fee.jpg

Further details have been announced regarding the new ferry service between Pattaya and Hua Hin.

The service, which was announced earlier this month, will officially launch on 1st January 2017.

It will operate from the Bali Hai Pier in Pattaya to Saphan Pla, the main pier in the centre of Hua Hin, which has recently undergone renovation.

The company operating the service, Royal Passenger Liner Co., today announced it had discussions with the Marine Department regarding ticket pricing.

The company said it will charge passengers 1,200 baht each way. The journey should take around one and half hours.

The company also announced it will offer a free trial of the service which will take place for 2 or 3 days prior to the official launch. However, the exact dates of the free trial are yet to be announced.

During the trial, the company will offer a test service leaving Hua Hin at 08:30, with the return service departing Pattaya at 15:30, Thai Rath reported.

tr.jpg

Image: Thairath

It was also reported the service will initially launch the service using only one boat, which can hold 150 passengers. However, if it proves to be popular a second boat capable of transporting 262 passengers will be used in order to cope with demand.

In August, authorities launched a crackdown on business owners who it said had encroached onto the beach at Saphan Pla.

Earlier this month, local officials in Pattaya removed speed boats that had occupied Bali Hai pier for more than a decade.

*Updated following confirmation of departure times of trial service

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-21

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In less than 2 months this company, Royal Passenger Liner Co, is set to begin operation. Do they have a picture of the exact vessel they plan to use on the innaugural runs across the gulf?

At B2400 per person for a return ticket Pattaya to HH and back, is that exepensive?.

For a group of 4 going for the day, thats B9600. . I have no plans to ever use this new service.

What do those that have thought about this service have to say?  

Should have been half the price for a one way ticket , 600 baht .  But I guess they need to earn enough money to pay for this vessel .  We have yet to seen a picture of it , will it be a comfortable ride , western standards...?  

2400 baht instead of taking the regular bus route and pay 500 baht total .   If you need to save time then fine , if not I don't see the point. 

Yes too expensive, 600 I can accept but not 1200 one way. 

If that price is for Thais also, I think it will be a flop, you can likely drive in own vehicle to HH and back to Pattaya for app 1000-1200 baht in fuel usage.

I guess will will be some kind of catamaran (double hull) with that relatively high speed. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

And also only one and a half hours journey ? How is that possible ?  Same distance in a car driving at 80 km/h ,  I am impressed if they can do it. 

Well by car / road it's 320km, and by boat it's only 100km, so easily possible to do it in 90 minutes... It's not like the boat's going to follow the coast all the way there.

26 minutes ago, Etrazine said:

Well by car / road it's 320km, and by boat it's only 100km,

Actually I was thinking about the distance in a straight line , and compare it with a car.  Only 100 km , are you sure?  

Wow a lot of members seem to be struggling financially. I usually spend twice that on a night out.

it costs 1200ish to catch a taxi oneway to swampy from pattaya.

it is a bit of a bargain really, the time saving and avoiding the drive through bangkok.

i will use it for sure. It will be especially handy during peak periods such as songkran when it tookme 6 long hours this year by road.

maybe those.who are a bit tight might want to check it out during the free trial, you will be right at home with all the other balloon chasers on board.

2400 return seems very expensive to me for a one and a half hour ferry ride. When I lived on one of the Greek islands, it was an hour and a half ferry to  the mainland, and a return ticket for my van (6m, 3,5 tonne) and two people was €70 - about 2800 Baht. I think the foot passenger fare was €8 (320 Baht) each way.

Wow a lot of members seem to be struggling financially. I usually spend twice that on a night out.

it costs 1200ish to catch a taxi oneway to swampy from pattaya.

I think you miss the point. It's not the amount of money, it's whether it represents value for money. I'm sure you could easily afford to pay 1500 Baht for a small bottle of beer in a nice bar, but the question is, would you pay that much for a beer, or would you use a cheaper bar? I think most people here are disinclined to throw their money away unnecessarily on poor value goods / services, regardless of how much they have in the bank.

It would probably play well for high season, as a lot tourists don't know where they're going anyway..  I have always been amazed at how many people who come here, quality tourists and backpackers alike, don't have a blessed clue as to the geography of the country.  "Where do we get the boat from Bangkok to Phuket?"  "Chang Mai is where? You're wrong, I heard it was right next to Pattaya!" It seems that half of the KSR crowd just follows the other half around.

"Where does this boat go?"

"Hua Hin."

"Huh?  Where's that?"

"It's a cool beach town, everybody goes there."

"Alright then!"

Here is yet another example of Thai thinking. They believe that any amount of money asked for is "small money for you, farang". Wrong. If Farang tourists are their target market, it will fail like so many started and stopped projects here. If they expect Thais to pay that price, well that's simply not gonna happen. They'd do better by having a full boat at 500 baht, rather than a 15% filled boat at 1200.

Archived