Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, balo said:

And also only one and a half hours journey ? How is that possible ?  Same distance in a car driving at 80 km/h ,  I am impressed if they can do it. 

You forgot the different time zones. Thats how they do it and at noon the time zones always swop.

On 11/21/2016 at 6:39 PM, Lingba said:

yes seems a bit pricey to me

My time is more important than money. Given it takes me 4.5 to 5 hours to drive the distance one way (if I don't drive during rush hours) and only 1.5 hours by boat (while I don't drive), I am very happy to pay 1,200 baht each way. And then there's the, money I save on gas which helps pay for the boat trip.

Well at least it is another option to get there. It's not just about HH, it is good for travellers wanting to explore south/west Thailand without having to travel via BKK throwing your bags on and off minivans and VIP buses wandering who is rummaging thriugh them while your sat on the bus!!?

In comparison to the Dover to Calais crossing, that takes 90 minutes and is only around 30km so an hour seems pretty optimistic

Went down to Hua Hin's pier today, or jetty as the locals call it being only about 50 metres long.  A lot of work must be going on but the site is surrounded by hoardings so it's hard to see just what they have done although from a distance it certainly looks a lot smarter.

The main thing is have they done any dredging work that would enable larger vessels to dock there or has it just been spruced up as part of the redevelopment plan for the sea front.

One thing I did notice was the local tourist board advertising a coach trip to Hua Hin pier with, guess what, a photograph of Cha Am fishing port so who knows where the ferry will end up.

23 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Would be cheaper for 4 ppl to use their car.I will never use this service.

The less Foreign  tourists and Expats use this service the more pressure the operators will feel to reduce that extortionist fare?

Yeah its it's even cheaper to walk but it depends how much you value your time. 

On a bad traffic day day it could take near 8 hours to get from parts of Pattaya to Hua Hin.

Im sorry my time is worth more than that.

Actually even when I was a bumming backpacker in Hua Hin wanting to go to Pattaya. I heard there was a boat and price 1500. I was happy to pay this but it was out of service. So I had to catch a mini bus back to Bangkok and then take another mini bus to Pattaya. Must have been a ten hour journey and a waste of a full day of my valuable holiday time.

14 hours ago, mettech said:

I don't see very many life raft to acomodate the ammount of passengers or life boay for the same token scary ride it would be NO THANK YOU  will not use that boat for other sail it to scrap yard,

Have you by any chance seen a picture of the actual vessel they propose to use on this service?

Your comment seems to indicate so.

The pricing is way out.....like so many Thai businesses there doesn't seem to be a business plan. Basically they have done a bit of math and come up with a price, but it looks as if they have done the classic Thai miscalculation - started a business with no real market research...the result a service that could be useful but will die as the pricing is just ridiculous.

Anyway if previous ventures are anything to go by, it won't last - what's the betting they crash into and destroy the pier a Hua Hin and have to suspend the service?

PS - and the boat's a croc!

3 hours ago, malcoml said:

Yeah its it's even cheaper to walk but it depends how much you value your time. 

On a bad traffic day day it could take near 8 hours to get from parts of Pattaya to Hua Hin.

Im sorry my time is worth more than that.

Actually even when I was a bumming backpacker in Hua Hin wanting to go to Pattaya. I heard there was a boat and price 1500. I was happy to pay this but it was out of service. So I had to catch a mini bus back to Bangkok and then take another mini bus to Pattaya. Must have been a ten hour journey and a waste of a full day of my valuable holiday time.

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times....don't exaggerate.

Pattaya to Hua Hin is 5 hours (or 4 in light traffic) - even with road works starting at Sukhumvit and around the R9 you will be hard pushed to get it to 8......I drive this route a lot.

however if you take thew ferry - 1.5 is optimistic lets say 2 to 3 depending on whether and borth engines working. Then we have to get to and from the ferry - song teaw/taxi etc - that's about 45 minutes at each end - then embarkation and of course waiting for the ferry to arrive depart - my guess is you are looking at a travel time of 3 to 5 hours........and apparently no motor vehicles??

1 hour ago, englishfl said:

My last trip to Pattaya took 10 hours. Three police road blocks, 4 stops at 7/11 and one long and expensive stop at IKEA. Sounds like the ferry could be a cheaper and faster option......

You're assuming you wont spend anything on the boat???? 100 baht for mama and if you're  lucky maybe IKEA will open up a branch on the boat.....

22 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

So its not a vehicle ferry?

It would have been great to avoid the Bangkok hazzle going from Pattaya area to south or opposite...

According to reports, they're starting with a passenger ferry because that's the boat they have available.  They plan to bring in a larger car ferry some time next year.

On 11/22/2016 at 2:22 PM, ginjag said:

Some members maybe NOT STRUGGLING AS YOU PUT IT,   some maybe happy with a modest lifestyle, your snobbish attitude does not go with your  pattaya   large P     one way  two words, you get real.  You think it's clever to look down on fellow ex pats  ??

"You think it's clever to look down on fellow ex pats ??"

My humble opinion is, looking down on ANYONE is not clever.

On 11/22/2016 at 0:01 PM, anotheruser said:

So actually I feel it is a good deal for how I would use it. Though not sure if they will have enough people doing this or not to make it work. I will be doing it at least once this year as it sounds like a nice time.

The drive to Hua Hin is the problem. It can last up to 6 hours on a long weekend trip. If the car ferry stopped in Bangplee area, then Pattaya and then HH, that would be awesome. I wouldn't want to be in HH or Pattaya area without a car.

As a single, an offer that gives me a chance to get to Hua Hin from Pattaya quickly and cheaply. I would never dream of taking the trip by bus or minivan. I would if I went one day take a taxi and pay a very high price. Too long and too dangerous a journey..

On 11/21/2016 at 3:35 PM, Etrazine said:

Well by car / road it's 320km, and by boat it's only 100km, so easily possible to do it in 90 minutes... It's not like the boat's going to follow the coast all the way there.

lets say it is 100 km straight line from Hua Hin to Pattaya. For ferry to do this in 90 minutes, it would have to jet at 60 km/h average. I would like to see that ferry.

Straight of Dover is about 30 km at the ferry lines crossing Calais to Dover, and it takes about 90 minutes

Archived