Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A heap of cheap buggers out there.

it would be nice if it was cheaper but they will fill the limited seats at that price.

Sure bears sitting in a car for six hours.

if you calculate wear and tear on your vehicle and fuel costs the price is reasonable.

2 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

B2400 passage seems rather high compared ferry prices in China and Singapore.  Must be something wrong.

The fact it is only 150 seats and there will be a limited demand. Different if they were transporting 600 or so.

The previous advertised air service from Hua Hin to Pattaya didn't even produce enough business for any flights that I'm aware of.   That being the case, how can a ferry service that is  more expensive expect to make it a viable service?   Unless, of course, they are heavily subsidized by some agency. 

It's too bad the VIP service does not provide a stop in Tha Yang or Phetchaburi.  I would use that service in a heartbeat. 

13 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

In less than 2 months this company, Royal Passenger Liner Co, is set to begin operation. Do they have a picture of the exact vessel they plan to use on the innaugural runs across the gulf?

At B2400 per person for a return ticket Pattaya to HH and back, is that exepensive?.

For a group of 4 going for the day, thats B9600. . I have no plans to ever use this new service.

What do those that have thought about this service have to say?  

A couple of weeks ago I made a joke about this with reference to expected increase in condo prices in Pattaya:smile:

It was a joke because I did not expect this to actually happen, as it was a much too intelligent concept. But now that I see the prices I am reassured that stupidity rules, as nobody will ever use the service. The service will discontinue within a few months....

How about setting a normal ferry price like 500 baht or so? then Hua Hin have the potential to become a transport hub for the South....nahhh....that's too smart..... 

Quote from news article:   It was also reported the service will initially launch the service using only one boat, which can hold 150 passengers. 

I will be interested to see if the passenger limits are adhered to and enforced, and whether departure times will be as per schedule , or baht bus style, once they have a full load!!

The Pattaya barstool boys aren't the target market for this. Tourists are the market. Yes, for a passenger only ferry its a bit pricey however, I am guessing that most tourists would use it for a one way passage only. For example, Chinese tourists can be dropped off and loaded on the ferry and picked up at the other end by their busses.

I am curious to see how much the car ferry tickets will be though.

I just searched U-Tapao- Hat Yai with AirAsia, flying tonight, 990 baht down. Fly back 24th= 1040 baht

1 hour 10 min flying time, each way.

Okay I know Hat Yai is far away from HH, but just for comparing the prices. I thought operating an aircraft would be more expensive than operating a 150 cap. passenger ship?

I hope the operator of this new ferry service read this topic and start thinking.

It's not a big loos to me if this ferry is here or not but Its nice to have the option.

Yes as a family man with a kid, it would be nice to go in the truck but the price will be crazy if it's 1200 one way for 1 person.

If we ever want to go to HH, I think we will be trucking, by road.

Without going to Google to search, I have a few questions:

1. How are tickets purchased?  Show up & hope there's room?
  2. Why no website to buy tickets, get basic info, etc.?
  3. If one drives to piers either side, what about parking, either long or short term?
  4. Can I take out insurance?  55555

The cruise speed and time from port-to-port aside (which I still doubt is even close), this is not a good example of how to "launch" a new service.

13 hours ago, balo said:

And also only one and a half hours journey ? How is that possible ?  Same distance in a car driving at 80 km/h ,  I am impressed if they can do it. 

Agree, maybe it's 50 speedboats lashed together with captain somchai at the helm.  But berthing,  slow take out from harbour,  slow entry into harbour and disembarkation will all take around an hour,  that leaves 30 mins for the trip!!!  I think.I will use it regardless but I Dont see the numbers stacking up in terms of passengers

I think a lot of people here underestimate the purchasing power of the average tourist, and I'm not talking the backpacker here.

In high season many people are spending 5000 baht a night or more on a hotel room and 1000 baht a head on an evening meal. 1200 baht one way is not a lot of money in comparison. It's also comparable to paying 850 baht from Phuket to Koh Lanta or Krabi, for example, both popular routes. But it needs to be a decent, comfortable vessel with food and drink available on board to warrant that price and to attract the tourists that will pay that sort of money.

I'd use it in the unlikely event I'd ever want to make that particular journey without a car, just to avoid being at the mercy of the Thai drivers, even though the marine accident record is hardly exemplary! 

But will there be a demand for this route? I'm not so sure.

The distance is 60 nautical miles, not including any leeway for tides or wind. It takes some time to get up to speed and to reduce speed for coming into port. So the top

speed would have to be well in excess of 40 knots to do the journey in 1.5 hours. The high tech, high speed cross channel catamarans travel at 40 knots maximum. So unless they have some technology in advance of that in the west, the journey times seem fanciful. The catamarans used in Europe are hundreds of millions of pounds in cost also and I doubt at any ticket price this could be recouped in Thailand. Also note that these waters are infested with fishing nets, fish farms and long tails. So to do it safely at speed is high risk. I think the claims need some scrutiny but I hope I am wrong and they make a success of it. The Raja ferry from Samui to Donsak can take 2.5 hours for a journey under 20nm. I suspect a better option would be for a slow, cheap cruise just to avoid the roads. Safety must be the first concern.

40 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Would be cheaper for 4 ppl to use their car.I will never use this service.

The less Foreign  tourists and Expats use this service the more pressure the operators will feel to reduce that extortionist fare?

You are clearly new to Thailand.

Here it works differently to the rest of the world.

As the number of customers goes down, so the prices are put up to maintain profits.

Simples.

Singapore to Batam  about 650 THB each way , carrying 80+ passengers very comfortable with space for luggage.

Safety record over past 30 years very good. Duty free shop, Nice cafe both terminals.

Grab a bottle or two Irish or Scottish whisky at one of the world's lowest price Duty shops at the Sg terminal -

Ready to party on arrival in Batam; some already half drunk during the ferry boat  journey of 35 to 40 minutes.!

Cheers!  Most important is the safe journey / second is speed & comfort.

All three present in this ferry route.

1 hour ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Would be cheaper for 4 ppl to use their car.I will never use this service.

The less Foreign  tourists and Expats use this service the more pressure the operators will feel to reduce that extortionist fare

If only tourists and the vast majority of the population actually had cars...

Archived