Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

Jonathan Fairfield

Good thing the people who hang around thaivisa complaining about the cost of everything are not the target market.  That is not a lot of money for a short term tourist. 

I would rather take my chances on a boat than flying down the freeway in a tin can.  Statistically, you are going to be much safer in a boat. If it did sink, the water is not cold and there are always going to be a lot of other boats around in that area.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Obviously this the foreigners price, Thais will pay 10% of this, 140 bht, same as the duel price charges for National Parks.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

And if farangs don't use the service due to high price, the company will go bust after a week or two as 140 Baht would be uneconomical

The price is way over the top, 90 minutes for the trip seems very optimistic to me, its 45 minutes to Koh Larn and my experience of using ferries in the UK to Spain and France was that there was always a lot longer time than I thought required to depart the port and on arrival to get off, safety first I guess which is not a big issue here is it. Looks like they think expats can afford the high prices, well they might be in for a shock, it looks like an over optimistic venture that will end in disaster to me.

In a sane world, you would expect someone to have done some basic market research.

So, why would *anyone* make the journey?

Lets say in high season you get some HH tourists and residents who want to go off to Pattaya for a weekend. Ok, Maybe. Out of season? Not a prayer. 150 a day from HH to Pats in low season - laughable. It's hard to find that number in the bars here! Weekdays OOS it *will* be empty to all intents and purposes. And likely weekends too. Pats residents aren't looking to hit the high-spots of HH, or they would be here instead of there.

Hua Hin isn't (as was mentioned before) a transport hub to the south, except for local, predominantly Thai traffic - so most tourists wanting to head south from Pattaya, would still almost certainly have to head up to the Big mango and join the KSR crowd. Thailand's pretty well developed tourist travel infrastructure (vast fleets of coaches and minivans) isn't about to relocate to HH - it will still start at the point-of-entry for the majority of its customers. Because of the journey length, pick-up times here are about 3.00 am. So from Pats it is 90 mins to KSR and get the bus (cost, a couple of hundred), or 90 mins in the boat, wait around in the street for a bunch of hours and hope the bus stops for you (cost 1200). Or stay over a few days.

Thai usage - borderline zero. Cash is king and 5 hours in a van for about 350 baht trumps 1200 on a boat anytime. Thai 'fears' about the ocean added in, they would probably have to get a discount on the van price to use the ferry as an alternative. Maybe it will be dual priced - if it is, it will just alienate the residents that might have considered using it out of season, even further.

14 hours ago, Etrazine said:

Well by car / road it's 320km, and by boat it's only 100km, so easily possible to do it in 90 minutes... It's not like the boat's going to follow the coast all the way there.

100 kilometers in 1 and a half hours    ????        QE2    couldn't do it.......torpedo boat could just about manage it.

19 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Please tell us all who the actual owners of the boat -ferry to Hua Hin ??

The company operating the service, Royal Passenger Liner Co., today announced it had discussions with the Marine Department regarding ticket pricing.

16 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

In less than 2 months this company, Royal Passenger Liner Co, is set to begin operation. Do they have a picture of the exact vessel they plan to use on the innaugural runs across the gulf?

At B2400 per person for a return ticket Pattaya to HH and back, is that exepensive?.

For a group of 4 going for the day, thats B9600. . I have no plans to ever use this new service.

What do those that have thought about this service have to say?  

Sounds a great idea and I will try it as it is a cheap interesting way to travel.  It will motivate me to visit Huahin

Oh please!  A ferry ride is a much more pleasurable experience than a ride on a minivan.  The ticket price is low at Baht 1,200, one way.  

You cannot compare a comfortable 1.5-hour ferry to a cramped, 4-hour, usually terrifying minivan ride.  

Do the math, 150 pax at Baht 1,500 = 225,000 / USD @ .34 = $6,617… Maximum potential earnings!  

With a 50% occupancy, boat and dock salaries, port fees, and wear and tear to the vessel, $3,309 per day is probably not going to be enough to stay in business very long.

I for one, will support this needed ferry by visiting friends 3 or 4 times per year, the price is right for me, and I very much appreciate the new service.  BTW, comparatively a good meal in Pattaya can easily cost that much.  I cannot think of a better value US$44.  Count me in!

Success or failure may depend on the level of service and amenities.  If it's a cattle car, 1200 baht is too high.  If it's got comfy seats, a nice restaurant/bar and interesting things to do, they may be able to make enough on the food and booze to subsidize the fare.  Concessions at each end would also bring in some revenue, as well as parking fees (maybe there was method in their madness in clearing out all that parking at Bali Hai?)

And at the risk of being bashed, this is one service where dual pricing may also make all the difference.  Without dual pricing, the ferry may not even be an option.  With dual pricing, I may be able to choose whether to pay the dosh or not.  Gripe all you want, but if dual pricing gives me more choices, I'm all for it.

Another option along the same lines (and perhaps more palatable) would be to offer multi-trip discounts or discounts to foreign residents who have the potential to be repeat customers. A third option would be to offer different classes of seating with premium seats going for premium prices.

Edit:  Legalize gambling on one side or the other and it would be a slam dunk, probably spawning copycat services out the wazoo.

3 hours ago, apalink_thailand said:

The Pattaya barstool boys aren't the target market for this. Tourists are the market. Yes, for a passenger only ferry its a bit pricey however, I am guessing that most tourists would use it for a one way passage only. For example, Chinese tourists can be dropped off and loaded on the ferry and picked up at the other end by their busses.

I am curious to see how much the car ferry tickets will be though.

Yes I think that makes sense. I for example live in Bangkok but can now go to either Hua Hin or Pattaya and when I get bored of one hop over to the other. Not sure what a taxi from HH to Pattaya costs but if the ride is 6 hours it is too long to do for a weekend. 

Taxi to HH spend a day get bored, ferry to Pattaya spend a day get bored, taxi home. Nice round trip for a long weekend. I would only utilize the ferry one way. If you can get me quicker transport as cheaply for two people I am all ears. Also it is the experience of being on the water. 

So actually I feel it is a good deal for how I would use it. Though not sure if they will have enough people doing this or not to make it work. I will be doing it at least once this year as it sounds like a nice time.

If you have a car already this isn't for you. If you don't value your time and think of the savings you get by spending 6 hours on a bus in beer and hookers it also probably isn't for you.

I want to support this service I really do but leaving pattaya for a dumbed down version of it just doesn't make any sense.
If I want a unique experience I will go to koh larn for 30 baht with far better beaches than those other two

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

I want to support this service I really do but leaving pattaya for a dumbed down version of it just doesn't make any sense.
If I want a unique experience I will go to koh larn for 30 baht with far better beaches than those other two

After 2 or 3 visits, Koh Larn isn't really a unique experience.  After 20 or 30 visits, I imagine I'd want to try something different.

56 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

The company operating the service, Royal Passenger Liner Co., today announced it had discussions with the Marine Department regarding ticket pricing.

Royal passenger line company   ???      we are curious to a NAME behind this......because a Name is not mentioned--would it be related to King Power  ?? the pricing sounds like their venture.

After 2 or 3 visits, Koh Larn isn't really a unique experience.  After 20 or 30 visits, I imagine I'd want to try something different.

Ive been to both many times. We are all different of course but pattaya and hua hin just doesn't change much unless your a seriouse golfer,or your really into granny hookers

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Etrazine said:

Well by car / road it's 320km, and by boat it's only 100km, so easily possible to do it in 90 minutes... It's not like the boat's going to follow the coast all the way there.

Ohhh. Iwas rather hoping it would keep the coast in view.. I can swim that far if need be!!!

5 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

With this price the connection is not competitive ..... those are dreamer

There was only ONE BID FOR THE FERRY  ??      try to find the name behind the Royal passenger liner Co---it will NOT  disclose----strange  ??

15 hours ago, balo said:

Actually I was thinking about the distance in a straight line , and compare it with a car.  Only 100 km , are you sure?  

yea, satnav shows 100km direct across the bay. they will be doing well to be going 30km and hour so with loading and unloading it will take about the same amount of time. just 2.5 times more expensive than a mivivan. not sure which i would choose however between being on a sinking boat or a in a mini van crash. they really should start the service as at a more reasonable rate to get people using it and then experiment with the price till they find a level where it is sustainable.

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

not sure which i would choose however between being on a sinking boat or a in a mini van crash. 

The good thing about a sinking ferry is that you don't know you're in trouble until it happens.  In a minivan, you're constantly in fear.

Plus, on a ferry, they have a place to go if they scare the pee out of you.  Mini vans won't stop.  Not even to change your underwear if they really scare you...  Which is just about every 10 km or so.

Archived