Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

Jonathan Fairfield

Why don't you all try the free service first before before assuming its to expensive, seems not bad for a crossing of the gulf, and seeing as it's not a government funded necessity same as those for islands without access it seems fair do as a boat of those specs will certainly not be cheap to run

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, impulse said:

Success or failure may depend on the level of service and amenities.  If it's a cattle car, 1200 baht is too high.  If it's got comfy seats, a nice restaurant/bar and interesting things to do, they may be able to make enough on the food and booze to subsidize the fare.  Concessions at each end would also bring in some revenue, as well as parking fees (maybe there was method in their madness in clearing out all that parking at Bali Hai?)

And at the risk of being bashed, this is one service where dual pricing may also make all the difference.  Without dual pricing, the ferry may not even be an option.  With dual pricing, I may be able to choose whether to pay the dosh or not.  Gripe all you want, but if dual pricing gives me more choices, I'm all for it.

Another option along the same lines (and perhaps more palatable) would be to offer multi-trip discounts or discounts to foreign residents who have the potential to be repeat customers. A third option would be to offer different classes of seating with premium seats going for premium prices.

Edit:  Legalize gambling on one side or the other and it would be a slam dunk, probably spawning copycat services out the wazoo.

This is right. They have to make it a comfortable experience. It should be a bit of adventure and food and booze of some sort would help that. If they can make the ride pleasant enough that time sails by it would be a good trip. 

This is probably also not for you if you have 6 members of your Thai family who are dependent upon you paying for all of them. For a group of 6 tourists who are together but all have their own funds for the ticket the price isn't bad. 

All that being said I am not convinced it will be economically viable but hope they can stick it out. 

4 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

This is right. They have to make it a comfortable experience. It should be a bit of adventure and food and booze of some sort would help that. If they can make the ride pleasant enough that time sails by it would be a good trip. 

This is probably also not for you if you have 6 members of your Thai family who are dependent upon you paying for all of them. For a group of 6 tourists who are together but all have their own funds for the ticket the price isn't bad. 

All that being said I am not convinced it will be economically viable but hope they can stick it out. 

3 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

good luck to them. anything to help get cars etc off the road. they tried this service twice before without success and i cant see them doing anything different this time so expect the same result.

23 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I want to support this service I really do but leaving pattaya for a dumbed down version of it just doesn't make any sense.
If I want a unique experience I will go to koh larn for 30 baht with far better beaches than those other two

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

My understanding is that Huahin is a small coastal town with shops, hotels, restaurant, bars and beaches. Currently a 6 hour journey now only one and a half it will encourage me to visit there. The fact that so many TV board members of a certain type are promising to boycot the ferry is both promising and encouraging.  Count me in-its cheap at the price and fast. As for the Pattaya to Koh Lan ferry being 30 baht-it should be increased to a 100 baht to give all the staff better wages. 

I appreciate having this option. More safe than taking a van or bus, plus saves time. Best the company makes a profit than going into debt the first year. (Note: I would expect "Western standards" & a comfortable ride in a up-to date ferry, not a hand-me-down.)

11 minutes ago, scottymdt said:

Why don't you all try the free service first before before assuming its to expensive, seems not bad for a crossing of the gulf, and seeing as it's not a government funded necessity same as those for islands without access it seems fair do as a boat of those specs will certainly not be cheap to run

Such reasonable views are alien to the attack dogs on fun who infest TV where hate, anti Thai racism and pessimism are the order of the day. 

A car ferry makes sense... if they can get the price right... right now I can drive to HuaHin from Pattaya in about 5-6 hours with stops for about 1000 baht in diesel... If I can shave of 3-4 hours for about 2000-3000 baht for the car and my whole family, I'd gladly pay for it Okay maybe about 2000 baht for the car and maybe 50-100 baht for extra passengers in the car is reasonable 

Anything more than that I'd give it  a pass, and I'd only be doing these trips 2-3 times a year only

But a passenger ferry, dropping passengers into Huahin means limited onward connections when the coach from Bangkok that do make stops in Huahin might be full 

A coach from Pattaya to Samui that does stop in Hua Hin  is quite empty most days already

At the price that they'll be charging, if the number of passengers do add up, a flight from Utapao to Huahin could materialize in no time 

Right now flights from Utapao to Samui or Phuket is around 5-8000 baht....  

My understanding is that Huahin is a small coastal town with shops, hotels, restaurant, bars and beaches. Currently a 6 hour journey now only one and a half it will encourage me to visit there. The fact that so many TV board members of a certain type are promising to boycot the ferry is both promising and encouraging.  Count me in-its cheap at the price and fast. As for the Pattaya to Koh Lan ferry being 30 baht-it should be increased to a 100 baht to give all the staff better wages. 

Agreed on the ferry price it should go up, but koh larn has high thai tourist numbers especially thai teenagers who are not flash with cash

But getting back to the hua hin service being affordable

Return ticket 2400
Half decent hotel for two nights 3000
Entertainment for two nights, this is subjective but let's say 6000

That's over 10k for a weekend trip To a place that really is a dumbed down version of Pattaya. I'm in jomtien and I can certainly put that 10k to better use in 2 days right here

100 kilometers is 60 nautical miles, so in order to do the trip in 90 minutes the boat would have to travel 40 knots.  If the boat in the picture is the boat that they are using it would be pushing it to get it much over 20 knots in perfectly calm seas.  I had a Searay 360, 36' cruiser in the US, it had twin Mercruiser 370hp engines and top speed was about 35 knots in calm seas.  I don't think that that tub will be able to make it in much under 3 hours.  In addition where are they going to get 150 passengers a day each way that would pay that much.  Sure it would be great for the tourist travelers that want to relax on the journey each way, but 150/day at 1200 baht each way.  Are these the guys that are also talking about legalizing cannabis?

3 minutes ago, digbeth said:

A car ferry makes sense... if they can get the price right... right now I can drive to HuaHin from Pattaya in about 5-6 hours with stops for about 1000 baht in diesel... If I can shave of 3-4 hours for about 2000-3000 baht for the car and my whole family, I'd gladly pay for it Okay maybe about 2000 baht for the car and maybe 50-100 baht for extra passengers in the car is reasonable 

Anything more than that I'd give it  a pass, and I'd only be doing these trips 2-3 times a year only

But a passenger ferry, dropping passengers into Huahin means limited onward connections when the coach from Bangkok that do make stops in Huahin might be full 

A coach from Pattaya to Samui that does stop in Hua Hin  is quite empty most days already

At the price that they'll be charging, if the number of passengers do add up, a flight from Utapao to Huahin could materialize in no time 

Right now flights from Utapao to Samui or Phuket is around 5-8000 baht....  

If the flight is Bangkok Airways---NOT SURPRISED   Udon Thani---Phuket-----2,000   bigger distance------problem whe B Airways has the monopoly---it owns the Samui  airport.

8 minutes ago, choff56 said:

For one person.

I will probably go with a couple of friends. They will pay their own fares. Cost to me is still 1,200 Baht regardless. Most tourists only think about the price of a fare in regards to themselves. Maybe as a couple but that's it. 

If you bought a car so you can drive your family around you have spent much more money in transport than I ever will in my entire time in Thailand. So the people with cars saying they are cheaper seem to be in denial in my opinion. I have considered buying one, but why buy the cow when you can get the milk cheap and have somebody do the driving for you?

Again i don't think the ex pat with dependents is the target demographic for this service. 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Success or failure may depend on the level of service and amenities.  If it's a cattle car, 1200 baht is too high.  If it's got comfy seats, a nice restaurant/bar and interesting things to do, they may be able to make enough on the food and booze to subsidize the fare.  Concessions at each end would also bring in some revenue, as well as parking fees (maybe there was method in their madness in clearing out all that parking at Bali Hai?)

And at the risk of being bashed, this is one service where dual pricing may also make all the difference.  Without dual pricing, the ferry may not even be an option.  With dual pricing, I may be able to choose whether to pay the dosh or not.  Gripe all you want, but if dual pricing gives me more choices, I'm all for it.

Another option along the same lines (and perhaps more palatable) would be to offer multi-trip discounts or discounts to foreign residents who have the potential to be repeat customers. A third option would be to offer different classes of seating with premium seats going for premium prices.

Edit:  Legalize gambling on one side or the other and it would be a slam dunk, probably spawning copycat services out the wazoo.

It's gonna need a 150 "short time" rooms.

9 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Agreed on the ferry price it should go up, but koh larn has high thai tourist numbers especially thai teenagers who are not flash with cash

But getting back to the hua hin service being affordable

Return ticket 2400
Half decent hotel for two nights 3000
Entertainment for two nights, this is subjective but let's say 6000

That's over 10k for a weekend trip To a place that really is a dumbed down version of Pattaya. I'm in jomtien and I can certainly put that 10k to better use in 2 days right here

We get it, you don't want to go to Hua Hin. If that's the case you have nothing to worry about. As far as 10K for a weekend trip being expensive for many people that is nothing. 10K wouldn't pay my room for two days whether the room is in Pattaya or Hua Hin. 

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

We get it, you don't want to go to Hua Hin. If that's the case you have nothing to worry bout. As far as 10K for a weekend tripo being expensive for many people that is nothing. 10K wouldn't pay my room for two days whether the room is in Pattaya or Hua Hin. 

large land -walled, car space for 3,   3 bed bungalow---2 air con--3 bathrooms, hot showers---coconut---lime trees,   near airport Udon Thani.    7,500 bht a month,  some of you are living in another world.  I can fly to Phuket with Air Asia from Udon for 2,500 bht.

We get it, you don't want to go to Hua Hin. If that's the case you have nothing to worry about. As far as 10K for a weekend trip being expensive for many people that is nothing. 10K wouldn't pay my room for two days whether the room is in Pattaya or Hua Hin. 

I didn't say it was expensive. I said I could put it to better use in Pattaya
Don't misquote me thanks

1 minute ago, ginjag said:

large land -walled, car space for 3,   3 bed bungalow---2 air con--3 bathrooms, hot showers---coconut---lime trees,   near airport Udon Thani.    7,500 bht a month,  some of you are living in another world.  I can fly to Phuket with Air Asia from Udon for 2,500 bht.

You are comparing the price of resorts on the seaside to long term rentals in the sticks? It isn't even bragging 10K for a weekend is 5K a day which is peanuts. Your average tourist will pay this without blinking an eye.

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

I didn't say it was expensive. I said I could put it to better use in Pattaya
Don't misquote me thanks

Thanks for clarifying. We can only imagine how much "use" you would get for the money there. I also didn't misquote you but rather gave my opinion on your comment. 

Just now, anotheruser said:

You are comparing the price of resorts on the seaside to long term rentals in the sticks? It isn't even bragging 10K for a weekend is 5K a day which is peanuts. Your average tourist will pay this without blinking an eye.

OK but engage brain---10 years ago I bought a condo in Jomptien  for 800,000,     I also know a very decent hotel in south Pattays for 1000 a night--(2 persons)    no need to pay silly prices for boat or overnight stays---after all wh should I pay for a pianist in the Foyer when I only sleep there.

Thanks for clarifying. We can only imagine how much "use" you would get for the money there. I also didn't misquote you but rather gave my opinion on your comment. 

Ever thought of a career in politics? You have excellent word twisting ability lol

Forgot to use the quote function so this is @ Ginjag

Not everybody is as shrewd as you. I prefer to stay at a suite at the Intercontinental, to each their own. Anyway this is off topic. The boat is an okay deal it is only a matter if there is enough demand. The price is okay but are there simply enough people wanting to go from Pattaya to HH and vice versa?

I would only take it myself once or twice for the joy of it. So in my opinion it isn't the price but if the route itself is going to be popular enough. Some people are saying the price should be 600 but many of those people aren't going to go to Hua Hin because of the price anyway.  

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Not everybody is as shrewd as you. I prefer to stay at a suite at the Intercontinental, to each their own. Anyway this is off topic. The boat is an okay deal it is only a matter if there is enough demand. The price is okay but are there simply enough people wanting to go from Pattaya to HH and vice versa?

I would only take it myself once or twice for the joy of it. So in my opinion it isn't the price but if the route itself is going to be popular enough. Some people are saying the price should be 600 but many of those people aren't going to go to Hua Hin because of the price anyway.  

You are just trying to be seen as up market---been there done that,  ( a suite at the Continental)   ha ha ha.

If the people who run  the service get the pricing right---good---If ???? it is King Power  who own this company--they can think again as there is competition to Hua Hin.---

lol the Intercontinental is normal my friend. I would have mentioned more prestigious places if I were trying to be pretentious. 

Dude, wealthy guys don't need to brag, my guess is your typing from a 300 baht guest house right now [emoji23]

So prove to us that you are not.

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

lol the Intercontinental is normal my friend. I would have mentioned more prestigious places if I were trying to be pretentious. 

Similar to the ones I was in management---London Savoy--Berkeley - Connought--Claridges,   I said been  there done that.---Intercontinental is NOT normal my friend, maybe 1 % of tourists will stay there.     The normal non package tourist will stay at a 1000 bht or less hotel.    He will also go to Koh Lhan for 30 bht  from Bali Hai pier.

YOU WILL NEVER GET THE CHINESE TO PAY 2,000 BHT TO GO TO HUA HIN ON A BOAT---  just saying not being argumentative.

Archived