Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

Jonathan Fairfield

So where exactly does the ferry to Hua Hin take the passengers? In the feature it says "Saphan Pla, the main pier in the centre of Hua Hin" Yet when I look up "Saphan Pla" it says " about 2 km, north of Cha-Am Tourist Information Center" which is a long way from Hua Hin and would require further expense and travel time, if Hua Hin was one's destination.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would anyone pay 2,400 baht to go from Pattaya to Hua Hin?  What has Hua Hin got that Pattaya hasnt? 

The <deleted> sun sets behind you when your on the beach at Hua Hin whereas it sets in to the sea at Pattaya.  

You can fly to Malaysia for 2,400 baht. 

1 hour ago, scottymdt said:

Why don't you all try the free service first before before assuming its to expensive, seems not bad for a crossing of the gulf, and seeing as it's not a government funded necessity same as those for islands without access it seems fair do as a boat of those specs will certainly not be cheap to run

Such reasonable views are alien to the attack dogs on fun who infest TV where hate, anti Thai racism and pessimism are the order of the day. 

11 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Dude, wealthy guys don't need to brag, my guess is your typing from a 300 baht guest house right now emoji23.png

So prove to us that you are not.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

What do you want a a picture from the 44th floor rooftop pool with your name on it? Again lol if you think Intercontinental is bragging. Normal families stay at such places all the time.  

2400THB return.  I drive there 2 or three times a year with 3 friends to play golf and that is more than the four of us pay between us for fuel and tolls. So it takes 4 hours each way, so what. I agree 600 baht each way would be reasonable and I doubt that Thais will get it any cheaper, they have to recoup their costs.  This will be a big white elephant in no time, unless they drop the prices.  Shame.

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

What do you want a a picture from the 44th floor rooftop pool with your name on it? Again lol if you think Intercontinental is bragging. Normal families stay at such places all the time.  

Ridiculous,  it actually is a lie,  you should have said  NOT NORMAL FAMILIES.   Good for you on the 44th and pool.

We are talking about the average man in the street.   get off that cloud......

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry: Proposed prices, journey times unveiled, free trial period announced

fee.jpg

How the heck can this kind of boat do the journey in 1h 40m? It would need to travel over 32knots, and this rust bucket looks like it'll be lucky to reach 12knots?

Okay, my two cents. 

Since I haven't read anything about a new ferry being built for this route or company, they will probably use a pre-owned one. A likely candidate is the 20m Lomprayah ferry. It seats around 160 passengers, and will do max 30 knots. Lomprayah has ordered larger cat ferries (with some already in service) for its routes between Chumphon, Koh Tao and Samui. As a comparison the trip from Chumphon to Koh Tao is 70km and takes the ferry 1:45 hours. It costs 600 Baht one way. It's obviously popular because they are upgrading to bigger boats, the latest being a 450+ passenger cat. They sail twice daily. 

For this small 20m cat to do 100km+ Hua Hin - Pattaya route would take at least 2:15 hours. That is on flat water. With waves coming from the back it's a horribly sickening ride, and will take at least an hour longer. With head wind and waves expect at least 30 minutes extra travel time. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this company is going to lease an old Lomprayah ferry, and will just do a 'Lets try, and see what happens' setup. If it doesn't work they'll call it quits after a few months without too much loss of investment.

But you are bragging about it and on TV! , How sad is that lol

No offence but You really are coming across as a guest house guy now.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Dear God go look at the 5 star resorts. You will see for the most part they are over all full of ordinary everyday people that have saved up over the course of a year for a holiday. They go to nice restaurants, stay in resorts and many would view 1,200 Baht for a ticket on a high speed ferry a financial pin prick. 

I can think of many similar attractions that cost 1,200 to go see. My main point is the boat isn't unaffordable by any stretch of the imagination. Try scuba diving or going on an elephant or the ancient city. They are all as much if not more. The ferry is more of an excursion and it is an attraction. It isn't just about going from point A to B. 

I dislike both HH and Whorenakhon so whatever the price, speed, service, etc. I DONT CARE ?

On the other hand i know plenty of thai who will easily pay the price of this boat just to have done it for the sake of doing it. Thai think differently about an occasional splurge if they have the funds available. File under: sanook.

33 minutes ago, TSF said:

So where exactly does the ferry to Hua Hin take the passengers? In the feature it says "Saphan Pla, the main pier in the centre of Hua Hin" Yet when I look up "Saphan Pla" it says " about 2 km, north of Cha-Am Tourist Information Center" which is a long way from Hua Hin and would require further expense and travel time, if Hua Hin was one's destination.

Saphan Pla just means pier in Thai

We visit Patts about 4 times a year.Mrs Kaen has never been to HH.So,i thought that maybe,next time,we could go and be back in time for Cucumber sandwiches (with the crusts cut off)and tea,and happy hour.But on reflection,the time spent there would be outweighed by the cost of getting there.

I,also thought that 400/500 baht would be good,but 1200 each way for 2,which is 4.800,just isnt worth the trip.

25 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Dear God go look at the 5 star resorts. You will see for the most part they are over all full of ordinary everyday people that have saved up over the course of a year for a holiday. They go to nice restaurants, stay in resorts and many would view 1,200 Baht for a ticket on a high speed ferry a financial pin prick. 

I can think of many similar attractions that cost 1,200 to go see. My main point is the boat isn't unaffordable by any stretch of the imagination. Try scuba diving or going on an elephant or the ancient city. They are all as much if not more. The ferry is more of an excursion and it is an attraction. It isn't just about going from point A to B. 

Sorry you are still in cloud cuckoo land, ordinary everyday people do not stay in 5 star hotels----8% guess.---ordinary people buy from street traders  because they want to try a foreign culture, normal holiday people do not go scuba diving they -example choose a partner on holiday in Pattaya and go to the beach,   do you understand    ???

6 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Let's get back to talking about the ferry. Ordinary people don't scuba dive? lol 

true,   in Pattaya you couldn't see the sea bed---lol,       ferry to me would be a large cat.,  250  at about 500 baht each====125,000  baht a trip.  not bad.    2+  hours crossing. average.     over years of service   it would pay.  

Better forget the mafia boat trial at 2,500 baht---STUPID

19 hours ago, balo said:

Should have been half the price for a one way ticket , 600 baht .  But I guess they need to earn enough money to pay for this vessel .  We have yet to seen a picture of it , will it be a comfortable ride , western standards...?  

2400 baht instead of taking the regular bus route and pay 500 baht total .   If you need to save time then fine , if not I don't see the point. 

Expecting western standards at eastern rates is kind of puzzling...

•  
  • getreal
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

ID: 21  In post number 21 above, Getreal said · Report post

"Wow a lot of members seem to be struggling financially. I usually spend twice that on a night out.

it costs 1200ish to catch a taxi oneway to swampy from pattaya"

Well, Getreal, it will obviously come as a bit of a surprise to you that in fact many members are struggling financially just now for various reasons, including the depreciating value of their currencies.  Naturally, you, clearly being a billionaire judging by your somewhat condescending attitude to all the slightly less fortunate members on here,  would not have been aware of this fact, as I feel sure that your own financial status is always uppermost in your mind.

However, we do all love to hear from the elite members on here, which is of course why I am posting this message.  :whistling:  Who knows, one day, even you might be in a position where a free trial on anything could be welcome, in which case do keep in touch.  :smile:

11 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:
  • Well, Getreal, it will obviously come as a bit of a surprise to you that in fact many members are struggling financially just now for various reasons, including the depreciating value of their currencies.  Naturally, you, clearly being a billionaire judging by your somewhat condescending attitude to all the slightly less fortunate members on here,  would not have been aware of this fact, as I feel sure that your own financial status is always uppermost in your mind.

Building a business and setting the prices to cater to broke people isn't really a good plan.  Even in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:
  •  
  • getreal
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

ID: 21  In post number 21 above, Getreal said · Report post

"Wow a lot of members seem to be struggling financially. I usually spend twice that on a night out.

it costs 1200ish to catch a taxi oneway to swampy from pattaya"

Well, Getreal, it will obviously come as a bit of a surprise to you that in fact many members are struggling financially just now for various reasons, including the depreciating value of their currencies.  Naturally, you, clearly being a billionaire judging by your somewhat condescending attitude to all the slightly less fortunate members on here,  would not have been aware of this fact, as I feel sure that your own financial status is always uppermost in your mind.

However, we do all love to hear from the elite members on here, which is of course why I am posting this message.  :whistling:  Who knows, one day, even you might be in a position where a free trial on anything could be welcome, in which case do keep in touch.  :smile:

Some members maybe NOT STRUGGLING AS YOU PUT IT,   some maybe happy with a modest lifestyle, your snobbish attitude does not go with your  pattaya   large P     one way  two words, you get real.  You think it's clever to look down on fellow ex pats  ??

5 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Some members maybe NOT STRUGGLING AS YOU PUT IT,   some maybe happy with a modest lifestyle, your snobbish attitude does not go with your  pattaya   large P     one way  two words, you get real.  You think it's clever to look down on fellow ex pats  ??

Can someone translate please?

Archived