Koh Samet: No mafia here say operators as tourist arrivals tumble

webfact

Koh Samet: No mafia here say operators as tourist arrivals tumble

p1.jpg

Pictures: Thairath

KOH SAMET: -- An angry meeting of tourism operators on Koh Samet yesterday said there was no mafia in Rayong and none on the island.

And they challenged the head of the national parks to name names saying that spreading unfounded rumors about the island is only damaging tourism, reports Thairath.

Some operators - notably jetskis - said that tourism had been hit drastically since word about the mafia was spread. While others claimed that tourist arrivals were down 80-90%.

The claims came as the military prepared to claim back the island after after what they see as years of corruption, encroachment and illegal activity - much of which was openly denied at yesterday's crisis meeting of operators at the Khao Laem Ya - Koh Samet local office on the island.

Officials have served notice about encroachment to some two dozen businesses. Half have accepted that they have encroached and will move but the other half are contesting that they are doing anything wrong.

xx.jpg

A memorandum of understanding about Phakjira Thongkhao-orn of Sai Kaew Villa 2 led the way saying that the idea that mafia were controlling the island was a myth and had caused tourist arrivals to drop drastically by 80-90%.

Representatives of the jetski businesses - that have effectively been told to clear off from the national park - were equally vociferous.

They said the idea that mafia was in control was "rubbish" and even "funny". They said that virtually no tourists were coming now and it was deathly quiet on the island.

They said that claims about the mafia running the place had only caused trouble.

Meanwhile boat operators claimed they were doing nothing illegal. It was stated that 100 speedboats and other boats had permission from the harbor authorities to operate.

Last week it was stated that only one had the proper permission and speedboat operations would be shut down along with most of the jetties they use.

Speakers at the meeting called on the chief of Thailand's National Parks authority Nattaphon Rattanaphon to stop spreading rumors about the mafia. 

They said he should name mafia figures and people with influence so they can be prosecuted rather than spread ideas in the news that had a terrible effect on tourism and the image of the island.

They claimed the governor of the province Surasak Jaroensirichot agrees with them and said that he and other officials have been working hard over the last few years to rid the province of dark figures involved in corruption.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-22

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there is no Mafia, but officials have been working hard over the last few years to rid the province of dark figures involved in corruption.

So I suppose that due to the lack of Mafia, a lot of dark figures, and other influential persons, moved in to take over all the scams and encroachment then.

Case Closed.

As one that goes to Samed every year it is nice in certain areas.  I do agree though that many bars and businesses have buit onto the beach and ruin it.

The first time I went was just nasty.  No place to lay down and busy as hell

The other location I now use is at the far end of the island quiet with only one hotel and n o bars

Tourism is down? Might be a good time to visit. 

I went there regularly when I lived in Pattaya but with the prices, garbage, sewage, etc increasing it lost it's charm. Living in Khon Kaen now so not very convenient but I may give it another try in January.

3 hours ago, Seismic said:

I stopped going to Samet 15 years ago, it was heading the same way as Samui, Phuket and now Koh Chang also. Its all about making money, they have no respect for the land or the environment.

I still enjoy Samet, why should i worry who owns the resort, and of course they are there to make money. To say otherwise rediculous. The land the resort it built on? Doesnt affect my stay there one bit. The bars, the beer is just as cold no matter if mafia owns the place , or not. Loosen up. We are a long time dead.

Maybe it would be a good idea if these non-corrupt operators could get their stories straight.... :sleep:

An angry meeting of tourism operators on Koh Samet yesterday said there was no mafia in Rayong and none on the island.

They said the idea that mafia was in control was "rubbish" and even "funny".

They claimed the governor of the province Surasak Jaroensirichot agrees with them and said that he and other officials have been working hard over the last few years to rid the province of dark figures involved in corruption.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

On an aside, are the jet ski scams as prevalent on Samet as they are (were?) by Mike's in Pattaya?

Lovin' it that the scum jetski operators are complaining. Banning them from every tourist area in Thailand would be a good thing.

Also lovin' it that the atrocious resort owners that have ruined a once beautiful island are being hit where they care- in the pocket. No resort should be visible from the sea.

I have been saying on travel sites for years that the island is a disgrace.

Even more lovin' it that the corrupt park officials that did nothing to clean up the garbage everywhere are being given the boot.

Anyone operating a business without a permit in a National Park should be fined and expelled. Any building without a permit, lease from the government or a chanote should be torn down. National Parks should be preserved and revenue accrued from leases to private businesses should be used for the preservation. What the hell is the sense of having National Parks that resemble Patong Beach.

10 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

I still enjoy Samet, why should i worry who owns the resort, and of course they are there to make money. To say otherwise rediculous. The land the resort it built on? Doesnt affect my stay there one bit. The bars, the beer is just as cold no matter if mafia owns the place , or not. Loosen up. We are a long time dead.

You would no doubt LOVE Penang beaches!

Archived