Koh Samet: No mafia here say operators as tourist arrivals tumble

webfact

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No compromise with illegal resort operators on Samet islands

2211005.jpg

KOH SAMET: -- The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation will not compromise with 24 illegal resorts which are encroaching on the Khao Laemya-Samet Islands national park in Rayong province, Mr Tunya Netithammakul, the park chief, announced on Tuesday.

Representatives of the 24 illegal resorts were invited for talks with security officials on Monday. Thirteen of them have agreed to move out and to dismantle their resorts, but the rest have refused to leave, claiming that they have legally occupied the land.

Mr Prayoon Pongpant, head of Khao Laemya-Samet Islands national park, of all the 24 illegal resorts, 13 of them refused to move out with nine others having opted to challenge the park officials.

He said the defiant resort operators wanted the officials to verify if their official document about land lease with the Treasury Department was legitimate or not.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/no-compromise-with-illegal-resort-operators-on-samet-islands/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-23

When you are one of mafia then you do not name it as you are in mafia!!!

You are in just business which local government and specially just some people do not like it.

No wander some people claiming there is no mafia ...

This is  just business going bad.

20 hours ago, Seismic said:

I stopped going to Samet 15 years ago, it was heading the same way as Samui, Phuket and now Koh Chang also. Its all about making money, they have no respect for the land or the environment.

Agree. I stopped going there 15+ years ago as well. Too many people, overpriced hotels/bungaloes (value for money), noise, pollution, jetskis. The place lost its charm. It’s quite a shame as I enjoyed the peacefulness of Jep’s Bungaloes (a really nice owner BTW). I can only imagine how crap it is now. Koh Chang (and surrounding islands) is about the only place driving distance from BKK that still holds it’s charm and I know that the three large families there make certain to keep out the jetskis and the large growth, keeping it very much an ideal location still.

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Strange, isn't it, that Thailand needs the army to keep law and order. That is usually the job of the police and the army's job is to protect the borders,

Military Government, Military rules.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Which in this case, is a good thing!  Sad Thailand needs to resort to this and that the police can't deal with it.

Rich man says to the police . " I will build a resort illegally, and I will pay you guys 1 million Baht "

The police says "  Great "

Am I wrong, or is the word "Mafia" being used here in Thailand much different than that in the US or especially Italy?  Seems like low-level corruption and technically illegal operations facilitated by bribery, as opposed to actual violent crime families that will kill you if you cross them at all.  

10 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Am I wrong, or is the word "Mafia" being used here in Thailand much different than that in the US or especially Italy?  Seems like low-level corruption and technically illegal operations facilitated by bribery, as opposed to actual violent crime families that will kill you if you cross them at all.  

Used differently, yes.

Many small groups of people, making money illegally. Each groups working for themselves only. Where in the USA, Italy, the Mafia is connected, better organized.

Also maybe because of Thai translations. They do not use as many English words as we do. And that is understandable.

So one word can be used for many types of crimes.

I have heard some Thai people say " Eat food "  " Eat water " .

cheers

2 hours ago, bark said:

Used differently, yes.

Many small groups of people, making money illegally. Each groups working for themselves only. Where in the USA, Italy, the Mafia is connected, better organized.

Also maybe because of Thai translations. They do not use as many English words as we do. And that is understandable.

So one word can be used for many types of crimes.

I have heard some Thai people say " Eat food "  " Eat water " .

cheers

Plus the Thai's can say 'mafia' easier than 'legalised robber' as it doesn't have any 'R' or 'L' in it.

16 hours ago, louse1953 said:

So you enjoy paying through the nose to corrupt people?

Some people never cease to amaze me. Where in my comments do I leave even the slightest hint that i "enjoy" paying corrupt people, and what makes you think, or, in this case, how do you know, i was paying through the nose? Its always paupers who recon they are paying through the nose, rather than appreciating that things of value are priced accordingly.

22 hours ago, spacebass said:

A man named K.sidnDum or something similar who was the collector and underhand business manager of Surachai loan company Rayong (i.e. he fed things like illigal gambling debts into the Surachai company) is wanted by the police (???!!!) for the attempted murder of K.Surachais daughter who is a member of the Kings bench in Rayong after she twigged him trying to personalise a multimillion baht property deal from the Surachai company's assets. He and four other men beat her up and left her for dead in a local reservoir as reported on this board, so killing is definitely on the cards tor the Thai mafia. But she wasn't dead. The Thai police have not apprehended him.

Yes that Is real mafia...not the umbtelkas (umbrellas) and chair on the beach.

So army should clean other things and clean Inside the police that gets money from shops etc. But without making so much publicity on news just to show they are correct but scaring tourism

10 hours ago, bark said:

Rich man says to the police . " I will build a resort illegally, and I will pay you guys 1 million Baht "

The police says "  Great "

True......True.......So true ....and when the police say no ...then no does not really mean no it just means the offer is less than they will agree upon.

So simple in some aspects while the whole affair includes doctored land title deeds that are backed by police muscle if anyone contests the legitimacy of the documentation.

The police trump the environmental divisions and anyone that protests ...but now, it is the military that trumps the police with more muscle if and when necessary.

A somewhat Precarious business environment....

I'd like to think this was an improvement benefiting Thai society as a whole, but just get the fuzzy old feeling that the Thai Navy are getting a few snouts in the trough here.

Might be a few 'sea changes' (scuse the pun) happening after the events of last month, with 'connected' families finding out they're not so impervious anymore.

On 22/11/2016 at 11:43 AM, Seismic said:

I stopped going to Samet 15 years ago, it was heading the same way as Samui, Phuket and now Koh Chang also. Its all about making money, they have no respect for the land or the environment.

Nothing wrong with Koh Chang.

On 11/22/2016 at 3:09 PM, ramrod711 said:

Anyone operating a business without a permit in a National Park should be fined and expelled. Any building without a permit, lease from the government or a chanote should be torn down. National Parks should be preserved and revenue accrued from leases to private businesses should be used for the preservation. What the hell is the sense of having National Parks that resemble Patong Beach.

But there are many businesses operating on 'shonky' permits issued for a fee by shonky officiasls

On 11/22/2016 at 5:16 PM, MaxiMaxi said:

Ok but It's not the type of mafia that kills like In Mexico or other countries, high prices are In many Island arround the world during high season but there nobody says It's mafia...here they use that word In a very wide way and foreigners think It Is dangerous for their lives ...instead It's just for the pocket but Infact people can choose If do or buy or not something....

In this way the Army will destroy their own land

Never heard of Koh Tao i guess !

Archived