Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

14495537351449553982l.jpg

BANGKOK — Affluent foreign residents over 50 will soon be able to apply for 10-year visas, a government spokesman said Tuesday.

Intended to promote Thailand as a hub for medical services, the policy was approved by the interim cabinet on Tuesday, according to spokesman Athisit Chainuwat.

It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-22

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be NIGHTMARE news for a large portion of us, if this will be the only option and the current one year extensions with the current financial requirement levels are phased out. 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage.

Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage

Visa holders will still have to check in every 90 days with the Bureau of Immigration, Athisit said

3 mil in the bank for the first year (only ?) and health care coverage providing $10,000 US per year coverage ?

Still have to do 90 day reports (though there's a rumour that they may change that to once a year). Plus have to renew after 5 years ? Will you have to have another 3 mil in the bank for a year for the 2nd renewal as well ?

Of course this is all subject to change, amendment and/or cancellation so I guess we'll just have to wait until it's actually official.

Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage.

Visa holders will still have to check in every 90 days with the Bureau of Immigration.

Hmmmm.... Sounds a bit complex for the majority! 

It sounds like they are copying the Malaysian program. SO FAR, the text implies this will be REPLACEMENT program for the current O-A visa and current annual extensions at much lower levels.

Very bad news for many of us.

If so, any chance of GRANDFATHERING those in the current levels that can't meet the new ones? 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

It would be really nice to only have to visit immigration every 5 years, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Are they just going to "announce" the ThailandElite scheme?

According to the full article, visa holders would be expected to check in with immigration every 3 months.

But remember that you will still have to open up your social media and bank accounts for the authorities to scrutinise and most likely they will make the money conditions more and more difficult (earning 100,000 per year income or 3 million in the bank which you cannot touch). You will also have to have medical insurance that will provide $10,000 coverage.

And this is what we know so far, folks. It might be a lot of money and effort so as to avoid the regular visa run . . . 

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It would be really nice to only have to visit immigration every 5 years, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Are they just going to "announce" the ThailandElite scheme?

It said you still have to do your 90 days reporting. 

If they are doing a Malaysia type program and totally phasing out the old system (year to year, current financial levels, no health insurance requirement) and also with no grandfathering, then this might be the biggest, most consequential visa news in many, many years. 

When we do know more, and if it does turn out that they are phasing out the old program with no grandfathering, I'd like to see a POLL here to ask people using the current system, about how many would be forced to LEAVE THAILAND. 

Strange.. I post this news, with the exact same info.. Thread closed.. Not enough information.. Then Thaivisa posts it.. 

Cant see what people are whining about.. 100k a month for a 10 year visa, in 2 blocks of 5... Just superb. 

Hope its still in force when I cross 50.. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

If they are doing a Malaysia type program and totally phasing out the old system (year to year, current financial levels, no health insurance requirement) and also with no grandfathering, then this might be the biggest, most consequential visa news in many, many years. 

Yes, but nowhere does it state the current Non Imm OA are going to be phased out. That would probably not be the case. This seems to be an additional option for people that do manage to fit the requirements and don't want the hassle associated with the OA system.

I suspect a great many things are going to change in terms of visas for Thailand in the coming year.

Would it be wishful thinking to hope that they might implement a realistic visa scheme for those who have married thais and have dependants here? Like, oh - every other country in the world?

Get rid of the stupid 3 month check in for a start and issue 5 year visas for those married to a thai national with thai dependants.

Archived