Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

The means justifies the end and a good thread is kicked back into life.

And as a footnote, OK, while maybe not being pocket money to all, many people can budget the 3 Million in question without it impacting on their life style.

Most of these people would not be posting on TV and I am only doing it while waiting for a bunch of films to download. It passes the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-11-22 at 6:30 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

If I had 3 million baht to be able to leave in the bank for a year, I'd go to a country that actually wants me to stay.

Im 28 and I have these 3m. Made by myself. And even in worse conditions. I'm not even from UK or USA, where salaries are high and exchange rates are good... . So if you're over 50, came from UK, stop whining and trying to find problems around you. Its you. Having 3m is like basic requirement to be able living abroad.

1 minute ago, howard ashoul said:

Im 28 and I have these 3m. Made by myself. And even in worse conditions. I'm not even from UK or USA, where salaries are high and exchange rates are good... . So if you're over 50, came from UK, stop whining and trying to find problems around you. Its you. Having 3m is like basic requirement to be able living abroad.

Just get an elite visa. 500K end of story

On 22/11/2016 at 1:13 PM, justaphase said:

Do you really think Thai people like us being here for the good of the country, or to make a quick baht?

The money of course and always has and will be.

I cannot see one advantage of living here anymore as the Hiso take control of just about everything and you aint in their thoughts except to say how much cash they can drain from you. Many Expats who stay there could not afford to move on or even back to their own country as the cash has been spent and drained.

This problem not only affects farangs but even more so the locals who are being ripped off by the hour by the few at the top. These people would be in jail in most other country's, yet some here are right up the rear of the J boys, mainly I feel from hope of a big future here. You are dreaming guys and you are just like Sh>> on the shoes of the so called elite.

Brain damage is suffered by those who have no brain but believe what they are fed by promise's that in this neck of the woods is never kept. Never Kept, Never Kept.

The day will come when you wake up and find no future for you here, just wait and see.

32 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

60k that is not going to last long my friend. Hope you have a job to pay for your day to day living. I spent £150.000 in less that a year on normal living, fighting the dam corruption there. then sold up and did the sensible thing.

30k I would put it towards a new car or a holiday in a decent country and live for now and not have to have it in a local bank making them money and you 0, nought, nothing. Only idiots put money in a bank and get sweet fa (Spurs) back.

For what it's worth, I recently did my 1 year extension at Jomtien Immigration.  For the first time, I used the 800,000 Baht in the bank rather than monthly income.  Went to Bangkok Bank the day before and got the letter and updated my bank book.  Thought Immigration might want same day bank verification but going the day before worked with no problems.  Was in and out in about a half hour and picked up my updated passport the next day.  Also verified that you can do the 1 year extension a month in advance and you will still be given the full year dating from when your previous extension expires.

3 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

almost 2400 posts on this topic ! clueless govt priced it out of reach

Should the govt bring it down?

How much would you suggest a 'reasonable' amount?

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

I hope no one thinks this program will actually come into existence, at least anytime soon if ever.  The Nov 16 media release talking this program was around 7 months ago and was apparently premature or an initiative that quickly died on the vine. 

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I hope no one thinks this program will actually come into existence, at least anytime soon if ever.  The Nov 16 media release talking this program was around 7 months ago and was apparently premature or an initiative that quickly died on the vine. 

They love talking... Doing, not so much.

BTW, in this case, that might not be a bad thing. Because, AFAIK, there was never really any clear resolution of whether the plan that the government announced was going to supplement -- or replace -- the more affordable, shorter-term annual expat extensions that currently exist, or the O-A actual visas, which likewise are less onerous that the 10-year requirements they had been discussing.

If they were going to offer the 10-year plan IN ADDITION to the current options without changing those, I'd have no problem. But if they were going to REPLACE the current O-A and/or the annual extensions with the pretty costly/demand-filled 10-year option, then I think a lot of folks here would have a problem.

10 hours ago, YetAnother said:

In the proposal you only need an income of 100K per month, which is well in the reach of many over 50's. I think it's a great scheme depending on the accepted insurance provider/cost. If they accept my existing insurance I would go for it in a heartbeat.

All they have done is proposed another way for some people to stay without needing to renew their stay annually. No downside as long as the insurance is affordable.

2 minutes ago, tomwct said:

I don't think this will be acceptable to the US Government, which is pushing for a 5 or 10 year Visa to Match the 5 or 10 year Visa awarded to Thai;s!

I don't think the US government cares what Thailand does either way. 

Its a silly option quite frankly. You still have to check in every 90 days. I do not see the advantage or worth all the cash outlay. Now if they offered the 10 Year Visa and you had to check in once every year or 2 then it would be something to consider. 

20 hours ago, tomwct said:

I don't think this will be acceptable to the US Government, which is pushing for a 5 or 10 year Visa to Match the 5 or 10 year Visa awarded to Thai;s!

I don't think Thailand give a stuff about what is acceptable to the US Government. They don't have a bilateral agreement regarding visas. The proposal is an additional option and doesn't stop other visas/options being created in the future.

20 hours ago, YetAnother said:

monstrously pathetic given the financial requirements

If someone already has an income over 100K, and if they accept insurance already being paid for, then how is it "monstrously pathetic" that you can get a 10 year visa that you already financially qualify for!!

20 hours ago, JAFO said:

Its a silly option quite frankly. You still have to check in every 90 days. I do not see the advantage or worth all the cash outlay. Now if they offered the 10 Year Visa and you had to check in once every year or 2 then it would be something to consider. 

Until they change the law everyone with temporary permission to stay has to report. Not wanting it because you don't have enough income and have to tie up cash is fair enough. Not wanting it because you have to report every 90 days would, quite frankly, be silly.

20 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

older expats than i, 63, say the insurance is outrageous; rules all of this out; why tag visa to insurance ?

Well, that's a can of worms question, but an even bigger problem is that most older people have preexisting conditions so they wouldn't even be able to buy cover that covers what they would likely most need the insurance for.

30 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

older expats than i, 63, say the insurance is outrageous; rules all of this out; why tag visa to insurance ?

it's an unfair but logical demand. when i invite relatives from abroad to my home country Germany i have to provide temporary health insurance for them.

31 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

Because it was proposed by the Ministry of Public Health as a way to promote medical insurance.

Like every other visa/permits on offer, if you don't want it, cant afford it, don't meet the requirements, then it's not for you. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good option for others. That said I'm not sure the take up would be that great, but ultimately that will come down to the insurance criteria.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

Until they change the law everyone with temporary permission to stay has to report. Not wanting it because you don't have enough income and have to tie up cash is fair enough. Not wanting it because you have to report every 90 days would, quite frankly, be silly.

My point is that I do not see how this new program is some how better, more convenient or value add. Still having to report every 90 days is a deal breaker for me to even consider it as I did the math and it just doesn't add up when compared to an O or a Marriage. It is far more convenient (and less cash tie up) to stay here on an O , check in every 90 days and renew annually. If they require all the financial commitment from folks applying for the 10 year they should offer something in return. Being able to stay here 10 years is not an incentive. I can do that now and with minimal cash tied up in a Thailand Bank. Currently I am here on a B1 so its not a bother to me as my company handles all the reporting but I would consider a 10 year with a check in every 2 years with some cash in the bank to show I am on the up and up.

With that said  I fully understand and appreciate Thailand's 90 day report requirements because sadly this country draws in a lot of riff raff and the current system seems to be the best way to track them and force them out. It is what it is. 

Archived