Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sjaak327 said:

Yes, but nowhere does it state the current Non Imm OA are going to be phased out. That would probably not be the case. This seems to be an additional option for people that do manage to fit the requirements and don't want the hassle associated with the OA system.

Sorry to say this, but actually it kind of DOES say that. Not explicitly enough and of course there are always lost in translation issues with the press here, but how ELSE would people normally interpret the word REPLACE!?!

It would replace one-year renewable visas and come in two installments of five years each, Athisit said. It was not immediately clear when the plan would be implemented.

Just now, acid thunder said:

Depends on your income.

they have made it clear its designed for more affluent folks.. Seriously a 10 year visa and all you need is 100k a month ?? Score !! 

Who doesnt spend 100k a month and considered themselves affluent ?? 

If correct, 3 mill or 100k will provoke a huge exodus, the human tragedy side of this could be appalling. Substantial numbers of long term expats will not be able to meet these requirements, let's wait and see if this is this only option going forward.

It would be fairer I believe to grant, where appropriate, indefinite leave to remain.  As it stands it is a big risk to give up assets in the UK and move them to Thailand.  There should be a set period before that is issued and of course the right to revoke it if the individual commits a serious crime in Thailand - but older people seeking to retire to Thailand need to find security which under the current system is not possible. This is one reason why I could never consider retirement in Thailand  though in my case there are also long standing health issues that would not be able to get long term insurance cover for.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry to say this, but actually it kind of DOES say that. Not explicitly enough and of course there are always lost in translation issues with the press here, but how ELSE would people normally interpret the word REPLACE!?!

Sorry, I did not read that sentence, that's ludicrous, they are shooting themselves in the foot if true.

1 minute ago, eeworldwide said:

I suspect a great many things are going to change in terms of visas for Thailand in the coming year.

Would it be wishful thinking to hope that they might implement a realistic visa scheme for those who have married thais and have dependants here? Like, oh - every other country in the world?

Get rid of the stupid 3 month check in for a start and issue 5 year visas for those married to a thai national with thai dependants.

In other words, those who fit your profile - and sod the other 'expats'?

Just now, chiang mai said:

If correct, 3 mill or 100k will provoke a huge exodus, the human tragedy side of this could be appalling. Substantial numbers of long term expats will not be able to meet these requirements, let's wait and see if this is this only option going forward.

"human tragedy" is perhaps going a little too far, dear....

Just now, LivinLOS said:

they have made it clear its designed for more affluent folks.. Seriously a 10 year visa and all you need is 100k a month ?? Score !! 

Who doesnt spend 100k a month and considered themselves affluent ?? 

I don't think you get it. 

This MIGHT mean they will only allow these more affluent people to have retirement status in Thailand. Just like MALAYSIA.

How else are people to interpret the word REPLACE in the article.

If it was just another choice or option, the word REPLACE would be entirely wrong. 

Hopefully, it's just poor communication in the article but at this point we do NOT know. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It would 'replace' the retirement visa for folks currently using it, who wish to have a 10 year visa (or more likely extension).. Not remove the option totally.. Is how I read it. 

Anyway bring it on.. If if gets rid of some of the moaners and penny pinchers.. Thailand is no longer cheap, 300 baht yuppie beers and fashionable sets.. Get rid of the chang singlet contingent and I dont think Thailand is going to cry a river. 

Just now, LivinLOS said:

Who would even think about retirement here without it.. 

Sorry but there is no need for anyone to have disposable income of 100.000 baht a month. Many people on retirement could easily afford a good life style in Thailand on considerably less.

Just now, LivinLOS said:

Who would even think about retirement here without it.. 

Ok, I get it you ARE a troll.

Other than that a salary means, yeah just that, a salary. Or for the not so bright, money officially earned in Thailand every month, or money transferred from an official instance abroad every month

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

In other words, those who fit your profile - and sod the other 'expats'?

Where did I say that??

I said at the start of my comment that there would probably be a "great many" changes.

I cited only 1 example.

Why would you automatically suggest thatI am rejecting other expats profiles?

Sad.

12 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

"human tragedy" is perhaps going a little too far, dear....

If it's the only option in the longer term: twenty five or thirty years in Thailand, wife and three children, fully invested in Thailand with house cars and banks, aged 70/75 years old and has to return to a Western country to nothing!

Tell me that's not human tragedy you tw* t!

Loads of KNEE JERK reactions yet again.

From the original post, there is nothing there that suggests that there is going to be any changes to the normal 1 year extensions. This looks more like some sort of scheme to promote the Gold / Elite Card scheme rather than any change to the existing marriage and retirement extensions.

33 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

Astonishing. And fantastic news if true, and if they can deliver on it.

Its cheaper on thai elite.  still 3 months prisoner reporting.

More useless ways to state  west they already have.

3 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I don't know why the fuss??

The keywords  were "AFFLUENT &  Elite"

?

Precisely.. They are saying it.. This isnt designed for everyone, its a nice perk for the wealthier expats and makes it easier. 

I doubt very much this replaces retirement 1 year extensions totally, simply provides another very appealing option for the better off ones. 

I hope its still there for me in 6 years when I cross 50. 

2 minutes ago, Lunchbob said:

It says in the linked article you still have to check in every 90 days. ridiculous. the only reason to have a long visa is to be relieved of the burden of "checking in"

Everyone does 90 day  reports.. On all classes.. 

Archived