Myanmar still cowering under brute force

webfact

Myanmar still cowering under brute force
By The Nation

Oblivious to pleas for compromise, the military sets two fronts aflame with ‘retaliatory’ sweeps 

When several armed groups launched simultaneous attacks last weekend against positions held by Myanmar government troops and police in northeastern Shan state, close to the Chinese border, it served as a grave reminder that peace never comes easy.

Myanmar continues to struggle, no matter how much the international community wishes that the situation will improve.

Hundreds of militant ethnic fighters and civilian refugees fled across the frontier, where the Chinese bundled them into temporary shelters. Fearing a further escalation in the conflict, Beijing has placed its own army on high alert and is pleading for calm next door.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/today_editorial/30300629

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-23

6 hours ago, DavidVincent said:

Damn! and all those good men saying Buddhism was a peaceful religion!

It is. It's some of it's people who are not. Unlike in Western religions, I am unaware of any Buddhist texts where violence is either condoned or encouraged.

18 hours ago, Katipo said:

It is. It's some of it's people who are not. Unlike in Western religions, I am unaware of any Buddhist texts where violence is either condoned or encouraged.

Yur wise words can be applied to ANY religion. About Buddhism it seems it is not so true as I recently found, this link resume a part of it:

https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-hateful-verses-in-Buddhism

4 hours ago, DavidVincent said:

Yur wise words can be applied to ANY religion. About Buddhism it seems it is not so true as I recently found, this link resume a part of it:

https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-hateful-verses-in-Buddhism

I read most, although not all, of the text in your link and the answers seem to support my statement that Buddhism and Buddhist texts have never condoned or encouraged violence. Christianity, Jewish, and Islamic texts all contain passages where it is on the other hand. An eye for an eye being perhaps the most famous from the Israelites.

2 hours ago, Katipo said:

I read most, although not all, of the text in your link and the answers seem to support my statement that Buddhism and Buddhist texts have never condoned or encouraged violence. Christianity, Jewish, and Islamic texts all contain passages where it is on the other hand. An eye for an eye being perhaps the most famous from the Israelites.

The famous Talion law, which was a bit overthought as the original one could be translate by " only one eye for one eye"...

Archived