Immigration police stepping up checks on foreigners in Hua Hin and Cha Am

webfact

8 minutes ago, poohy said:

My girls will be waiting! 

45 kilos each and they dont "do" Thai visitors very well:partytime2:

I love reading posts but yours has me baffled. If indeed your girls are 45 kilo's each put em on a diet. I was thinking dogs but if they are girls that would be an insult. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

nope

4 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

nope

Yes it is. It's normal for them to make visits, especially on the first application. They are required to take 2 sets of 'family' pictures, outside the house showing the house number, inside the living area, and a few other areas, usually they want  5 photo's per set, so

10 in all. They need one set for internal use/records and one set tonsend to Bangkok together with all documents, for their (Bangkok's) approval.

i

They must have boxes on top of boxes of paper on each of us non-o living here.  90 day address check, TM30 address check, yellow book address, pink id card address, driver license address, TM47 address and extension paperwork, TM28 address - and to top it off a home visit to make sure you're not gaming the system.  If any government agency did this in say, the US or UK, the leftwing human rights activists would be screaming foul and demanding legislation to stop the xenophobia.  Here?  Imho it looks like a short-sighted push that may well see the end to the 1 year retirement extension.  If that happens, and those who no longer are able to stay start empting their bank accounts, I wonder how loud the Thai banks will howl let alone the Thais who directly benefit from expats living here with girl-friends and contributing to family and the local community.  I'm thinking this may not end well.  "Hey Honey, we should probably start to learn Spanish!" 

7 minutes ago, connda said:

They must have boxes on top of boxes of paper on each of us non-o living here.  90 day address check, TM30 address check, yellow book address, pink id card address, driver license address, TM47 address and extension paperwork, TM28 address - and to top it off a home visit to make sure you're not gaming the system.  If any government agency did this in say, the US or UK, the leftwing human rights activists would be screaming foul and demanding legislation to stop the xenophobia.  Here?  Imho it looks like a short-sighted push that may well see the end to the 1 year retirement extension.  If that happens, and those who no longer are able to stay start empting their bank accounts, I wonder how loud the Thai banks will howl let alone the Thais who directly benefit from expats living here with girl-friends and contributing to family and the local community.  I'm thinking this may not end well.  "Hey Honey, we should probably start to learn Spanish!" 

They burn all those papers after 3 months, otherwise they have no place to store it. That's why we've to fill them again and again......

15 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I love reading posts but yours has me baffled. If indeed your girls are 45 kilo's each put em on a diet. I was thinking dogs but if they are girls that would be an insult. 

My girls will be waiting! 

45 kilos each and they dont "do" Thai visitors very well:partytime2:

They are indeed "BIG"  dogs  undefinable breed certainly some labrador plus something else that was  big  and no they are not fat !

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The Pattaya Immigration bar-code tattoo isn't too bad if you get it done at a decent shop and not one of those shonky, hole-in-the-wall places on WS.

is  it  across the forehead  though? or  foreskin?

Home checks of foreigners is nothing new here in Phuket. About a year ago I got a phone call asking about a number of our registered guests, including myself.  I made a time for 'officials' to call by our place. 4 non uniformed rough looking guys turned up, I demanded identification, they produced police ID's for our area. All they wanted to do was look at my passport and take a photo of me, they were polite and quite casual about it all. They showed me a long computer list of foreigners they wanted to 'interview' and a number of our guests were on that list, so I contacted these guests and arranged meetings. 

I enquired why they were looking for folks, answer - request by Interpol, something to do with terrorism, officers did not want to go into specifics.

Just this last month police phoned me again about another registered resident - so they are still 'inerviewing'. 

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

So they go to the computer and generate a list of where the foreigners live.

They should be able to see that their visas are up to date and a valid TM30 is on file with immigration so they then decide to visit the address, to check what ?

They already know the foreigner has complied with all the regulations based on their computer records.

Or perhaps they're only visiting foreigners who they know have not complied with all the rules, like those who don't have a TM30 against their record in the immigration databases - that would make more sense.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If they know where they live they should also know if they are up do date on their visa. But any farang knows that the computers at immigration are nothing more than expensive paperweights. 

So they want us to deposit 3,000,000 Baht for 1 year and we get what in return? Oh yes, 90 day reports, can not own a house. Can have a business but only own 49%. Have very little rights in everything else. If you have a Thai family they should give you residence based on supporting your family. No one is going to put that kind of money into Thailand and tn be told they cant take it out either of the bank or transfer it to a bank outside the country.

Whoever thought of this is living in cloud cuckoo land.

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

We fill out a TM28 for ourselves.

Also, Wife and I went to H.H. Immigration yesterday to do my first one year extension. I was told they would visit in the next three or four days to take pictures of my Wife and I. Guess that is normal for first time though.

HH Immigration seems to have went off the deep end.

Posted in another thread...last extension brought all the paperwork they already had on file plus the photos around the house of me and the wife together. Got told they'd be visiting.

2 ladies show up and take more photos with us.

I said this seemed kind of pointless..shrug from them.

They weren't happy about it either.

That office also made me go to Chaeng Wattana to get my certified letter of income from the Canadian Embassy stamped.

Something about people faking letters, but then you'd think it would be a national policy.

Apparently the house visits apply to everybody. I was hoping the Tha Yang office for Petchaburi would revert to some sort of sanity but it sounds like they're doing the same.

25 minutes ago, natway09 said:

To the people who are unprepared to invest 3 million baht in a reputable bank this country  to retire here & make this their home I say, "You want the chicken & the egg".

Maybe you should just go home

Or invest 800k and spend 30mins a year in immigration getting an extension... I'd rather keep the bulk of my money in my home country

6 hours ago, jesimps said:

I don't know why anyone's surprised by all this over-zealous activity regarding foreigners. I reckon every junta since the beginning of time has been neurotic and xenophobic. I've been expecting it and is one of the reasons I can't understand farang cheering this lot on. It's like dangling your own whatsits in a vise and turning the handle.

Finally someone who see it clearly :jap:

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

To the people who are unprepared to invest 3 million baht in a reputable bank this country  to retire here & make this their home I say, "You want the chicken & the egg".

Maybe you should just go home

with a pension of the required amount you don't need to do that. Why so opinionated and aggressive, even with thirty million in the bank this isn't your home country and you have no more rights than a lowly pensioner, get off your high horse and quit dreaming.

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

They should be able to see that their visas are up to date and a valid TM30 is on file with immigration so they then decide to visit the address, to check what ?

They already know the foreigner has complied with all the regulations based on their computer records.

Or perhaps they're only visiting foreigners who they know have not complied with all the rules, like those who don't have a TM30 against their record in the immigration databases - that would make more sense.

Com.. poo.. tar? 

I thought they carved the immigration records into stone tablets here?

1 hour ago, Psychic said:

Posted in another thread...last extension brought all the paperwork they already had on file plus the photos around the house of me and the wife together. Got told they'd be visiting.

That office also made me go to Chaeng Wattana to get my certified letter of income from the Canadian Embassy stamped.

Something about people faking letters, but then you'd think it would be a national policy.

Apparently the house visits apply to everybody. I was hoping the Tha Yang office for Petchaburi would revert to some sort of sanity but it sounds like they're doing the same.

ive never  received a house  visit from Hua  Hin, told too far away (30km)

As always they can only visit people who register their real address or real business.

How funny it is ! Just write any hotel address on any form given to you and never own a business here in your name, then you will be fine !

IT's not good guys in and bad guys out, it is bad guys freedom and good guys hassle !

On 11/23/2016 at 4:53 PM, ukrules said:

Hopefully your last paragraph is correct.  But TIT.

I am amazed they changed the rules again , having just spent almost 4,5 million baht on a condo and building a house on leased land ,on top of the house I have in Phuket which I am, selling now for 7 million , my pension is 43,000baht  a month and I make the rest up from money in the bank to just cover my visa requirements. my questions are is this visa going to replace the current 1 year retirement visa ? And why cant they take into account Property owned such as condos or company assets  as part or this 3 million requirement ? What will happen to people who have invested in condos for there retirements . and don't make a 100,000 a month ,  have wife's or long term girlfriends they are living with ? We are not all criminals some of us help Thai families , that we are involved with to improve there lives, I would class myself as one of those people .

5 hours ago, Psychic said:

Strange, my neighbour (a round 12 extensions, 6 from HH) and I both got visits.

We are both around 30kms from HH Immigration.

The 2 ladies clearly weren't pleased.

I actually felt bad for them, gave them a bite to eat since they had to go back to the office after the visit.

Not their fault that some high ranking  official wants to waste time on this nonsense.

1 hour ago, shan777 said:

I am amazed they changed the rules again , having just spent almost 4,5 million baht on a condo and building a house on leased land ,on top of the house I have in Phuket which I am, selling now for 7 million , my pension is 43,000baht  a month and I make the rest up from money in the bank to just cover my visa requirements. my questions are is this visa going to replace the current 1 year retirement visa ? And why cant they take into account Property owned such as condos or company assets  as part or this 3 million requirement ? What will happen to people who have invested in condos for there retirements . and don't make a 100,000 a month ,  have wife's or long term girlfriends they are living with ? We are not all criminals some of us help Thai families , that we are involved with to improve there lives, I would class myself as one of those people .

Yes, it makes no sense that they don't take the funds you've already sunk into the country into consideration.

My house and car alone represent far more than the 3M.

To me that's already a big leap of faith since they seem to cling to the idea that I am just some kind of unwelcome visitor instead of a person who wants to spend their life here supporting a family.

I could put the 3M into a bank but I much prefer to have in my home country generating 10% a year and using that income to justify my continued acceptance here.

At least that way I know that if they ever decide they just don't want me I will still be able to access my savings.

Their policies seem to be counter-productive to me.

All of these financial requirements seem to be a way to try and draw foreign currency into the system. And yet, if they'd offer foreigners  some level of security I think they'd  end up with a lot more money here.

I'm small fry but I have several friends who intend to live their lives here who are multimillionaires in US dollars.

They bring enough funds into the country to support a good lifestyle but the bulk remains abroad because ,as they are fond of saying on TVF, they are only comfortable bringing enough that they can walk away from without being devastated.

I think it reflects badly on the policies in place. No matter how long you stay here, even with this new visa where you place a substantial amount of money in a Thai bank you still have to report every 90 days like a criminal on probation.

I've made the decision to spend the rest of my days here and the family I love lives here. So I actually care about the future of Thailand.

The whole ex-pat thing is a small piece of the economic pie but I think it is symptomatic of an attitude that somehow Thailand is in some way superior and can survive alone in a global economy.

I'm not sure if this is the traditional elites attempting to hold on to their traditional position but, if it is, they need to realise the world is changing.

Thailand isn't the single most important outpost of economic investment in SE Asia anymore. 

Tourism has been a big part of their economy but other countries are building an infrastructure to compete.

And as all that happens the Thai government needs to change their perspective.

14 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

We fill out a TM28 for ourselves.

Also, Wife and I went to H.H. Immigration yesterday to do my first one year extension. I was told they would visit in the next three or four days to take pictures of my Wife and I. Guess that is normal for first time though.

They said that to me too , lived there six years nobody ever showed up.

Archived