Why doesn't the Thai baht move?

19 hours ago, chiang mai said:

You're referring to private (or consumer) debt, my statement relates to government or public debt, the strength or weakness of a country's economy doesn't depend of private debt very much at all.

Er, where were you in 2008 - on the moon?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Naam said:

you are thoroughly mistaken. just because some commodities are quoted in US-Dollars doesn't mean they can't be bought and paid for by any other freely fungible currency. but you are excused because this misleading fairy tale is floating around since decades.

If the dollar gets weaker or stronger does that effect the price of world commodities like oil, Yes.  If any other currency gets weaker or stronger does that effect the prices, No.

26 minutes ago, Grubster said:

If the dollar gets weaker or stronger does that effect the price of world commodities like oil, Yes.  If any other currency gets weaker or stronger does that effect the prices, No.

the answer is NO. commodities priced in USD remain the same no matter how strong or weak the Dollar is. expressed in other currencies commodities fluctuate of course. but fluctuations of commodities do not influence the Dollar's value.

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

the answer is NO. commodities priced in USD remain the same no matter how strong or weak the Dollar is. expressed in other currencies commodities fluctuate of course. but fluctuations of commodities do not influence the Dollar's value.

You turned that backwards.     If the dollar goes up the price of oil goes up in all other countries.  If any other currency goes up it does not effect the price of oil in any other countries except its own.        One barrel of oil at $100 x 35 baht = 3500 baht   One barrel of oil at $100 x 40 baht = 4000 baht.   The US dollar absolutely effects the price of commodities in every other country but its own.   No other currency has that effect.

4 hours ago, Grubster said:

The Thai baht is much stronger now than it was at 29 baht per dollar. The strong dollar only means the baht is weaker against the dollar. I don't think it would be wise for you to be telling Europeans, Australians, Kiwi's, Russians, Chinese,Scandinavians etc that the Thai baht is weaker.

If the Thai baht were 29 now, then rice and all other goods would be about 16% cheaper on the world market. Sales of all products would jump dramatically and so would tourism.

So the Baht is stronger against at 35 baht per USD than if were at 29, really!!

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

So the Baht is stronger against at 35 baht per USD than if were at 29, really!!

Yes the Thai baht is much stronger now against world currencies, than it was at 29 baht to the dollar then.   Its only weaker against the dollar.  Is that hard to understand?

On 11/25/2016 at 3:12 PM, elgordo38 said:

Thank you for the uplifting advice and I am hmm thoroughly mistaken really. It must be the Klingon coming out in you. Love the word fungible

"money is fungible—money that is raised for one purpose can easily be used for another" Does that mean If I have beer money I can change my mind and spend it on a bar girl? Yes I am guilty I love fairy tales. May you live long and prosper brother may Allah bless you with many sharp tongued daughters. 

For the sake of full disclosure I think your a great guy just having some fun. All the guys on here are great. My purpose in life and on TV is to  have fun not create animosity. Fighting is for suckers. We are after all a Band of Brothers. We have fought the modern Crusades and won the last of our breed. Those that follow us will not be as fortunate as we have been their trials and tribulations will be more exacting. At toast we are The Champions. 

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

Yes the Thai baht is much stronger now against world currencies, than it was at 29 baht to the dollar then.   Its only weaker against the dollar.  Is that hard to understand?

The narrative I wrote pertained to and was in the context solely of the value of THB against GBP, not its value against other currencies - if you want to discuss the world in forex terms, open a different thread.

1 hour ago, Cook my sock said:

I'm another who starts to doubt Brexit will happen- at least in the way originally intended.
There are two very important elections coming up in Europe ..

The Tories are well aware of what will happen at the next election if a hard Brexit isn't enacted.  Simple.

Archived