Phuket Immigration in the dark over new ‘10-year’ visa

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I've never really understood the Immigration policy for retirement visa/extension. Used to be 65 when I arrived here, then 60, then 55, and now 50.  Common sense would say that anyone of any age with 800,000 baht (as of current regulation) can apply for a one year extension. But hey that needs coomon sense ... or just a big anual fee for one year ... I'm sure many would be happy to pay at least 10,000 baht or more.

Don't confuse "common sense" with a typical Thai brain fart over baht.  :smile:

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

Sorry for the snark.  Here is the best link I've found so far.  http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-in-the-dark-over-new-10-year-visa-60012.php#dV5K2sKd4dYFkFRC.97  It does not have an original source, but at least names the Thai official that spoke these words which are spinning evyerone up.  

Lol....

it was linked in the TV first post on the subject.... the post before the one showing a white haired retiree and wife on the beach

if anyone can retrieve that article, it might be helpful... I'm not tech savvy enough to navigate the forum.

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Lol....

it was linked in the TV first post on the subject.... the post before the one showing a white haired retiree and wife on the beach

if anyone can retrieve that article, it might be helpful... I'm not tech savvy enough to navigate the forum.

Posted this link already ---> 

22 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Too much false information and guessing by readers, can not understand why people are getting so  ''worked up''...their is no mentioning that the 1 year retirement visa is being curtailed (or Phuket immigration would tell us LOL).

Just wait and see....cha cha

Sure they will tell us.... when your standing at the counter holding your Johnson... 5555

4 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Don't be silly NKM ... there is little to quote as even Immigration has not formulated their new plan ... I'll be less polite ... they don't have a clue. 

I agree, accurate information is not available, but members should at least consider the possibility that this visa MAY replace an existing visa.

8 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Sure they will tell us.... when your standing at the counter holding your Johnson... 5555

I've already experienced that when I applied for a new retirement visa, supplied proof of 400 K baht in the bank, officer told me it was now 800 K, I said I did not know about that change, officer said too bad, I say what do I do now, officer said leave Thailand.  I did not have to leave as I had a Thai wife  and made a different application ... my point is that they can change the rules anytime and don't care about the how it impacts us pesky foreigners.  

You say 'would not replace the normal 1 year permission to stay' but that is not clear at all. In fact, in the original notification about this a few days ago, it suggested that it was going to be replacing the 1 year of stay, and that you would need to meet all of the requirements. 

Details get lost in poor translation all the time in articles released in Thailand . I spoke to jomtien immigration and she confirmed that the new VISA WILL NOT replace retirement extension but the scare mongers who probably don't even live here are having a ball!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Having been here for 19 years, I have seen this modus operandi of government before, and not just in relation to immigration rules.

Ministers are informed of a need for a sector of the economy or problem needing to be solved. Thailand is very top-down in management style. Minister gets some proposals through cabinet BEFORE they have been properly thought through.

True ! All that mess and interpretations are coming from in "seminar" in Chiang Mai (22th november). The aim of that seminar was too ease VISA processes to attract more foreigner retirees: cancel the 90 days notification, create a new 10 years VISA etc...

All what they did is just a new 5 years VISA proposal (not 10 years), still 90 days notification and created a big wave of panic for the future retirees willing to settle in Thailand !

Just now, Spellforce said:

True ! All that mess and interpretations are coming from in "seminar" in Chiang Mai (22th november). The aim of that seminar was too ease VISA processes to attract more foreigner retirees: cancel the 90 days notification, create a new 10 years VISA etc...

All what they did is just a new 5 years VISA proposal (not 10 years), still 90 days notification and created a big wave of panic for the future retirees willing to settle in Thailand !

Yeah, be careful what you ask for. I think you may be on to something about the seed of this still half baked change. The people you ask may have "interesting" filters leading to unintended consequences.

5 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Details get lost in poor translation all the time in articles released in Thailand . I spoke to jomtien immigration and she confirmed that the new VISA WILL NOT replace retirement extension but the scare mongers who probably don't even live here are having a ball!

The law hasn't even come into effect. Regardless of what an officer at the 90 day report desk said, sorry she's not the final authority on this. It's obviously not even fully baked. How would she know all the details about this yet. How would she know about whether this replaces the current O-A visa, which you didn't ask about, but she wouldn't know definitively either. 

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

I've never really understood the Immigration policy for retirement visa/extension. Used to be 65 when I arrived here, then 60, then 55, and now 50.  Common sense would say that anyone of any age with 800,000 baht (as of current regulation) can apply for a one year extension. But hey that needs coomon sense ... or just a big anual fee for one year ... I'm sure many would be happy to pay at least 10,000 baht or more.

Perhaps they know the odds that a 25 year old kid with $25,000 in the bank, tired of his job, and horny for cheap sex will eventually need to go back to work to feed himself and his habits.  And if he's in Thailand when his 1-2 years' worth of retirement funding runs out, chances are he'll be looking to work illegally.  Or looking for an unfunded marriage extension when the bun he's planted pops out of the oven.

Personally, I think they're being humane about it.  Because I was once a 25 year old kid with $25K in the bank, horny, and real tired of my job.  Thank God I didn't now about Thailand back then.  Because I understand it was pretty easy to live here for years on visa runs back then...

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Having been here for 19 years, I have seen this modus operandi of government before, and not just in relation to immigration rules.

Ministers are informed of a need for a sector of the economy or problem needing to be solved. Thailand is very top-down in management style. Minister gets some proposals through cabinet BEFORE they have been properly thought through.

Relevant departments are then ordered to put into effect the changes but there is no infrastructure. Civil servants on the ground have no process notes, no training, nobody to refer to. There are unintended consequences because it was not worked out in advance. The public is greatly inconvenienced. Government officers take out their frustration on members of the public implying they are stupid or criminal for not following the brand new regulations.

Eventually all the mayhem is passed back up the chain and a workable system is cobbled together in the first 12 months with luck.

With regards to this new visa (??) we are not in the initial 'complete ignorance' stage. Planning occurs AFTER the launch in contrast to other countries.

Shortlisted for post of the year! :)

1 hour ago, iancnx said:

Sounds like you have not yet had the opportunity to experience the 'real' Thailand.  Sooner or later the bubble bursts and reality smacks you in the face. Good luck when it happens, your enjoyment of chaos may well be stymied as a result.

You're right, I'm pretty new here.  When it starts sucking, I hope I won't complain on a Thai forum for expats. Instead, I'm hoping I'll choose to move to a better country.  Do you have any in mind you could suggest?   Of course I know some people don't have that luxury.  

The law hasn't even come into effect. Regardless of what an officer at the 90 day report desk said, sorry she's not the final authority on this. It's obviously not even fully baked. How would she know all the details about this yet. How would she know about whether this replaces the current O-A visa, which you didn't ask about, but she wouldn't know definitively either. 

Errrmm an informed immigration official vs the whole of the TV which are completely clueless, is that even a choice? LMAO

Like is said do something positive and go to jomtien immigration and put in an effort your only 15 mins away in a baht bus

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Exactly correct. I've made annual extension some 19 years now. Been some major changes every few years and minor changes every year.

I wonder how many expats will take advantage of this new 'offer' - headline 10 year extension, but really only 5 years extension, with some heavy financial considerations for those of us at the middle to low spectrum of the income/pension scale.  I for sure will not be applying. I would rather chance the 5 year elite card at 500,000 baht fee if my circumstance or Thai rules change.

Is this a voluntary program?  There seems to be confusion also on that score.  That is, can people continue to use the old 1 year system if they like it better? The word "replace" was used in one article I saw.  

13 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

The writing is on the wall for the future.

Ignore it at your peril. 

Totally agree, ignore at your peril.  Plan for the eventuality.

I luckily remained on a marriage extension despite [heavy handed attempts] persuasion to change to retirement.  I think the next step for the marriage extension category will be compulsory insurance.  Looks like BUPA inpatients policy @4000 baht per month might be what I have to plan for.  I am 55 and this is doable, though it is another £1000 per annum! -  I would much rather self-insure.  For older folk who have a low income the future might start to look bleak.......... poor buggahs

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Errrmm an informed immigration official vs the whole of the TV which are completely clueless, is that even a choice? LMAO

Like is said do something positive and go to jomtien immigration and put in an effort your only 15 mins away in a baht bus

You've posted about your report about 10 times already now, right?

We heard you.

It's a clue. It's not the end all. It doesn't even answer all the questions we have, for example, does this replace the current O-A visa.

How can anyone have all the final answers on a policy that isn't even fully baked yet? 

Like it or not, this is a WAIT AND SEE situation and the full consequences may not be clear for quite some time. 

1 hour ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I agree with Aforek - the year-to-year extension will remain for those who already have a visa; for new applicants the one-year visa will be replaced by the five-year visa (with its increased obligations).

What is this opinion based on?  

7 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

You're right, I'm pretty new here.  When it starts sucking, I hope I won't complain on a Thai forum for expats. Instead, I'm hoping I'll choose to move to a better country.  Do you have any in mind you could suggest?   Of course I know some people don't have that luxury.  

Yeah, I share your views about posting personal views in public, but let me tell you in Thailand this forum has in some respects been invaluable for almost instant information during my 10 years here.  Life can 'suck' anywhere in the world. I have made this my home, built a house, married a wonderful woman and have a super smart son who is now trilingual.  The plan is to return to UK for his education, and be closer to my family.  Without that need I would continue to go with the flow with my family and not run to the next port of call because the latest adventure 'sucks'.  GL & ATB

Archived