Phuket Immigration in the dark over new ‘10-year’ visa

snoop1130

Yes, of course, if lots of retired expats had to sell at distress prices in a short period of time, it would be easy pickings. But let's not jump the gun on those kinds of worse case scenarios for lower wealth retired expats and best case scenarios for real estate (vultures)  investors. 

You can't be seriouse, according to actual TV posters for over 20 years they are nearly all renters. I would say in a country where farang can't get finance that 95% would be renters

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well then since your so sure" - I'm not so sure, nor do I care, either way, but it's you who seems "so sure."  I hardly think taking advice from a lower rank local Immigration Officer is a solid platform in which to base you immediate decisions. 

"hop on bus from whatever godforsaken village dump you live in" - I live in Patong, and whilst some may call it a dump, it's hardly a village.

"Get an air Asia economy flight out" - why?  I beat the last visa crackdown.  Maybe they are done with the tourists visa runners, and are moving onto the next visa demographic. possibly the retirement visas.  If not now, for sure in the future.

"please report back to us next week about how wonderful your new life in China is" - whilst I have been to China, I would not chose to live there.  Just because Thailand may dispel me in the future, doesn't mean I can't have a similar, or better, lifestyle in a neighboring country.  Thailand is not the be all and end all.

"how the folks are so much more genuine" - Phuket lost its Thai culture a long time ago.  You should know that.

"how the food is amazing" - are you seriously suggesting Thailand is the only country in South East Asia with great food????

"the ladies don't want just your money" - I don't care what they want.  I rent them, not adopt them, and their families, and their sick buffalo.  I couldn't care less want they want. 

Why do some people here truly feel the need to believe their circumstances will always remain the same here, and never plan for the possibility they will not?

They will not even contemplate the Thai Government will ever destabilize their stable existence here, and why, because they like to think they are a real part of Thai society, when they never were, and never will be. 

Relax It was a tongue in cheek, bit of fun post.

2 minutes ago, mcfish said:

You can't be seriouse, according to actual TV posters for over 20 years they are nearly all renters. I would say in a country where farang can't get finance that 95% would be renters

Wrong.

A lot of foreigners bought property on Phuket, and now can not sell. 

Last I heard, there were approximately 3000 properties on Phuket for sale.  (it was a PG article)  Not all of these are owned by Thai's.  

Another unfavorable visa change, that may see more foreigners forced to leave, would further lead to more property going on the market, thus, pushing prices down.

Wrong.

A lot of foreigners bought property on Phuket, and now can not sell. 

Last I heard, there were approximately 3000 properties on Phuket for sale.  (it was a PG article)  Not all of these are owned by Thai's.  

Another unfavorable visa change, that may see more foreigners forced to leave, would further lead to more property going on the market, thus, pushing prices down.

I was talking the whole of Thailand but yes you are correct, anyone buying property in resort towns is taking a big risk. A lot of time share went down in phuket which didn't help

27 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I was talking the whole of Thailand but yes you are correct, anyone buying property in resort towns is taking a big risk. A lot of time share went down in phuket which didn't help

"anyone buying property in resort towns is taking a big risk" - why. 

Anyone buying a property in Thailand has a right to live in it.  Right?  :cheesy:

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:32 PM, Briggsy said:

Having been here for 19 years, I have seen this modus operandi of government before, and not just in relation to immigration rules.

Ministers are informed of a need for a sector of the economy or problem needing to be solved. Thailand is very top-down in management style. Minister gets some proposals through cabinet BEFORE they have been properly thought through.

Relevant departments are then ordered to put into effect the changes but there is no infrastructure. Civil servants on the ground have no process notes, no training, nobody to refer to. There are unintended consequences because it was not worked out in advance. The public is greatly inconvenienced. Government officers take out their frustration on members of the public implying they are stupid or criminal for not following the brand new regulations.

Eventually all the mayhem is passed back up the chain and a workable system is cobbled together in the first 12 months with luck.

With regards to this new visa (??) we are not in the initial 'complete ignorance' stage. Planning occurs AFTER the launch in contrast to other countries.

your last sentence reminds me of the then US Speaker of the House Pelosi when they were lobbying to get the ACA/Obamacare legislation passed.  She basically said, we don't know all the details so let's pass the law and see what happens.

33 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

The "Proposal' clearly states it is an OA Visa.

That means it can only be acquired in your home country.

That's quite an interesting observation and I've not seen this debated in this particular topic.  

If true then it would not apply to annual extensions inside Thailand ..... mmm

55 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

The "Proposal' clearly states it is an OA Visa.

That means it can only be acquired in your home country.

I think that public announcement was highlighted by what they didn't say. And a few words out of place here and there was like a red rag to the panic merchants on the forum. Examples would be the word "replacement" and the incomplete list given by one of the pollies when trying to explain where most expat live.

And, as usual, the reporting was inaccurate and misleading. 

From the start I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the "visa" would also translate to extensions. It wouldn't make sense to exclude people already here, or to require them to return home to get this new package (shades of Trumpism!).

From what I understand this announcement was made by politicians at a cabinet meeting. I would expect the fine tuning, and subsequent announcement, of the actual changes would come from the Department at a later time. It is a matter of wait and see for the details.

All this scare mongering and hubris by certain members of the forum is premature.

I'm going to sit back and see what actually happens instead of reading the mass hysteria, conjecture, indignation and apoplexy.

Someone's gonna need that medical insurance at this rate when they have an aneurysm! :post-4641-1156693976:

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 9:41 AM, maoro2013 said:

Is this visa just for retirement? I don'tconsee that written anywhere, but someone said the same thing to me yesterday.

If this does phase out the one year extension process, I can see a mass exodus of foreigners. Who wants to tie up 3,000,000 baht for the sake of not doing an annual extension, seems crazy to me. Actually most foreigners I know could not put 3,000,000 in a bank account.

What about people like me who are on yearly extensions and are married here for years?

It sounds like the whole thing is an illogical mess.

It Is unproperly Called retIrement visa. It's an over 50 age visa or stay permit and you can get It even If still working as employee, angaged by third company or your own company so to show even a monthly Income Instead of bank account.

And u can choose either the 1 year or the 5 years. Continuing for now the one year and using one day In the future the 5 years when everithing becomes more clear and tested about rules, procedure and practic application of this new rule....as u wish.

Often a 6 month used car Is better than a brand new cause has been tested and corrected....

39 minutes ago, MaxiMaxi said:

It Is unproperly Called retIrement visa. It's an over 50 age visa or stay permit and you can get It even If still working as employee, angaged by third company or your own company so to show even a monthly Income Instead of bank account.

And u can choose either the 1 year or the 5 years. Continuing for now the one year and using one day In the future the 5 years when everithing becomes more clear and tested about rules, procedure and practic application of this new rule....as u wish.

Often a 6 month used car Is better than a brand new cause has been tested and corrected....

Do you have an official source for this? 

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Evilbaz said:

The "Prop'stsal' clearly staines it is an OA  asiss.

That means it can only bthn acquired in your home country.

U talkin ing about the 5 years stay permit?

In any case I personaly think that what Is missing Is a combination visa and stay permit connected to a property and It's value but under the famous 10mil baht.

For example If the 3mil bank dep of this new stay permit could be compensate by an already aquired and existing property or condo then would be the cerry on the cake. All countries In Europe, for ex., have It.

It Is absurd to have a property on own registered name at land office but cannot leave there all year cause of visa staypermit limitation or to high bank garanty requirements. If I bought a condo am am already a possible "good guy" having passed the Import of money from abroad, the check and certification by bank authorities aswell Int monetary authorities, land office long and complicate check up and got an official  statement and Is a non sense to be fighting with  2+1+2+1 tourist visa or 1 year garanty or 5+5 years garanty. The condo Is already my money, my garanty, my Insurance and I am a stabe  n "Investor" which Is a great value that they should protect and serve......this means to gain foreigner's trust and to realy trust Thailand as they say In the english 30 min NBT 8to8.30am news advertising.

Instead they want us to Invest and then.....!? ...go your home no visa and stay permit for you....

I think we should make a petition all together or even separate to the prime minister and government ministers counsil about this aspect.

Cause not only the few over 10mil baht Investors should have priviledges but also the thousands and thousands of small between 1.5 to 5.0 mil baht or over untill 9.99 mil baht must have a voice.....

8 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Do you have a n official source for inhis?

Yes! It Is written In the english version of the rulis s exposed In the Immigration site.

50 years age Is the starting point, then they ask a bank deposit or a monthly/yearly Income.

They never ask If you working or resigned and made the retirement procedures to obtain the social or private pension. For them the 50 years Is the limit when people can retire from working cause many reason In spite of what we do or our country requires us to do and by the way...to die working pay till last day and never get a pension....politician's burocrat's best dream GRRRRR

20 minutes ago, MaxiMaxi said:

Yes! It Is written In the english version of the rulis s exposed In the Immigration site.

50 years age Is the starting point, then they ask a bank deposit or a monthly/yearly Income.

They never ask If you working or resigned and made the retirement procedures to obtain the social or private pension. For them the 50 years Is the limit when people can retire from working cause many reason In spite of what we do or our country requires us to do and by the way...to die working pay till last day and never get a pension....politician's burocrat's best dream GRRRRR

I can't find it. Any chance of a link?

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Any chance of a link?

www.immigration.go.th

Then click on left side where Is:

"Criteria and condition of temporary stay"

Then click point nr. 1 and will open a list In .pdf where are all Instructions.

Point 2.22 Is related to retirement20161209_114945.jpg20161209_114955.jpg20161209_115003.jpg20161209_114608.jpg20161209_114856.jpg20161209_114907.jpg

4 hours ago, MaxiMaxi said:

www.immigration.go.th

Then click on left side where Is:

"Criteria and condition of temporary stay"

Then click point nr. 1 and will open a list In .pdf where are all Instructions.

Point 2.22 Is related to retirement20161209_114945.jpg20161209_114955.jpg20161209_115003.jpg20161209_114608.jpg20161209_114856.jpg20161209_114907.jpg

I thought you'd found something new. 

Ah well, back to speculation.

Archived