Phuket Immigration in the dark over new ‘10-year’ visa

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

The only way this could work that if people have been rejected by insurance companies for health coverage for whatever reasons, then they have to prove they have enough funds put by to cover themselves for medical emergencies and long term illnesses. All seems far too complicated to me and why I cannot see this 10 year scheme being implemented.

All will be revealed on Dec 1st as the 1st lambs go to the slaughter.I bet none of them have 3 mill in the bank.A few Norwegians should be able to cover the 100k.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Details get lost in poor translation all the time in articles released in Thailand . I spoke to jomtien immigration and she confirmed that the new VISA WILL NOT replace retirement extension but the scare mongers who probably don't even live here are having a ball!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

LOL you are one of those people that actually thinks posting a picture of a link is the same as actually providing the link.  My ex gf was like that.  Well, thanks for the information, I'll go look around for it.  Can't expect people to do everything for me.  I appreciate the help.  

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

True, don't panic, but instead wait for the needed answers and don't make PREMATURE assumptions about what the answers to all those questions are going to be. 

Unless of course you are going in for your first 1 year visa right this week, which I am.  :-)  I know I'm in the minority but I'm thinking hey a trip in on Wednesday is going to be better than a trip on Thursday Dec 1 if you know what I mean.  

2 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

Yes lucky you.

Maybe you can do some air b&b  for the rest of us at your place.

Knowing the grumpy p####s on here id understand if you dont like that idea tho

55.When i go back for a quick visit i have to couch surf  as the house is rented out,but i have to go for 2 years in 2 years so will live at home then.Most of you would be welcome but Adelaide is not a good place to get a visa from as we only have an honoury consulate.

48 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

That 6 month visa stretched for another 3 months is looking good.Hang out in other SEA countries for a few months.Quick trip back to Oz for a week or two,rinse and repeat.

Does taht work with a multiple entry 6 month visa?  I need flexibility.  I'm getting stuck here in Thailand and I want to travel.  

Regarding insurance, I would guess that you would only have to show evidence at the time of application and again after the first five years. That does give scope for a little manoeuvring but those over 65 who don't already have insurance may be in a difficult position.

If out-patient is insisted upon then this can really add a lot to the premium and, as I said before, why's there any need for this? Most people exclude it.

Saying this, the limit is nor per visit but per year. Some policies are unlimited, others impose a limit to the number of visits.

A basic policy that would conform to the requirements for a 50 year old could be found for around 15,000 baht, rising to around 22,000 baht at age 65, so it's not extortionate for those 65 and under, considering the application criteria.

But the insurance issue will preclude many persons older than that.

No peson with any brain would take this on.

look at all the downside:

-loss of investment interest on 3million baht 1 year..

loss +- $5000

-extortion health care that will take your money but most probably not honour any claims anyway

Loss $1000-2000?

-Thai gov telling you how to spend your own money.

-nearly impossible to internationally withdraw what money you have left in Thai bank.

Once again the Thai thinking take over with the 2 usual beliefs:

1. Thailand is the "dream destination " for  ALL nationalitys in the world.

2. All farang have to much money and are stupid.

I constantly gave to tell them, the rich farang aint stupid as they still gotta earn the money,

But maybe in a lot different ways than a Thai.

8 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Unless of course you are going in for your first 1 year visa right this week, which I am.  :-)  I know I'm in the minority but I'm thinking hey a trip in on Wednesday is going to be better than a trip on Thursday Dec 1 if you know what I mean.  

Good point! There are always some people caught in the middle of a change. That actually happened to me during my first retirement extension. I won't go into details as it's ancient history now, but it was complicated and I had to jump through some funny hoops to make it work. 

2 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Why on earth is this subject blown up again and again when it was clear the day after the news came that there is an "alternative" to a year visa (exstension) and not a requirement?:saai:

So if you weren't in the system yet and seeking an O-A visa, you seriously wouldn't be wondering whether the current O-A levels will stay intact? Where have the Thai officials explicitly addressed these kinds of concerns? I think NOWHERE because this thing is HALF BAKED and until it is either FULLY BAKED or thrown in the trash as a burnt cake, then foreigners will legitimately have concerns about the full impact of this change. 

3 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Why on earth is this subject blown up again and again when it was clear the day after the news came that there is an "alternative" to a year visa (exstension) and not a requirement?:saai:

You think this is clear?  Wow, OK.  So explain to me exactly what's going to happen when I go into my interview on Thursday with a Thai immigration official, seeking to change my 60 day tourist visa to a 1 year non-I "O".  I don't think it's clear at all.  If I have the choice, I'll do the tried and true thing, and I think you're right, but the word "clear" is not one I'd choose from this moment anyhow.  Shrug, it will be OK.  I've got very low stakes in the game at this point anyhow.  I can always leave for another place.  I just happen to like Bangkok at the moment. 

I for one would be unable to leave 3 mil in a Thai account, untouched for 1 year, therefor only one option for me. I think IF the Thai Gove did phase out/replace the one year retirement visa, they would lose much more foreign currency than they would gain

3 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Why not ?

A website always want a second bite

on the click bait cherry  

No doubt there will be more threads yet.

There are posters on this thread that already know this is a added visa..not A replacement for others.

But they keep to carry on like drama queens.

I'm wondering what the insurance companies have to say to these requirements. 

They are not famed for being easy. Also, I don't think the government can dictate to these companies what they can pay or not pay, or cover ! More information needed here.

1 minute ago, pattayalover said:

yeah 800k is already enough. now they want 4x more. are they kidding us?

It's worse than that if using the bank method.

With the 800k you're allowed to spend it down fully each year as long as you top up three months before your next extension.

With the new deal, you put in 3 million, can't touch it for a year, and after that can only touch HALF of it and only for specific reasons, and regular living expenses are NOT in that list of specific reasons.

Yes, seems pretty unfavorable. 

54 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Unless the insurance companies are going to liaise with immigration to introduce practical affordable health insurance policies that will accommodate all expats then this 10 year visa scheme cannot work. Otherwise it`s going to mean expats that already have or contract later on long term health problems and reach certain ages will not be able to remain in Thailand on this scheme. 

I believe that many of these I don`t know, not sure, could be, reports are deliberately made vague by the media to make people panic and prolonging the agony of waiting to see how this concludes. My own thoughts on this, is to not read too much into this.

"expats that already have or contract later on long term health problems and reach certain ages will not be able to remain in Thailand on this scheme." - perhaps Thailand's new motto will be, "healthy guys in - sick guys out."  :smile:

5 hours ago, Notowork said:

The people taking the responsibility for making decisions in this country sure could learn a lot from other countries,... but seem to prefer not to take this route and  would rather battle it out on there own.

Presently I would guess about 20 years behind many other countries ,...and sad to say but they will never really catch up until their mindset changes!

I'd say 50 years behind the west, and Patriotically blind..but should we even challenge with words about the Thais backward thinking and out of date culture.

We know they don't make it easy for us foreigners (from the forward thinking sophisticated western civilisation), but we do have a choice I guess.

Thailand is in the dark and always has been. But used to be a charming and alluring dark that attracted people and made them want to be here. Now is just a silly, oppressive authoritative Big Brother kind of dark with the same ole idiot-ocracy running the show but pretending they actually know how. :sick:

Thailand is in the dark and always has been. But used to be a charming and alluring dark that attracted people and made them want to be here. Now is just a silly, oppressive authoritative Big Brother kind of dark with the same ole idiot-ocracy running the show but pretending they actually know how. :sick:

On the contrary. Any thais unfortunate enough to encounter TV would be howling with laughter at the idiotic barking farangs screaming everything anti Thai from a bar stool. That's the truth. They must be thinking if falang not like why not go home lol

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

Does taht work with a multiple entry 6 month visa?  I need flexibility.  I'm getting stuck here in Thailand and I want to travel.  

The key word is "multiple"

and i too, post pictures because i havent the skill to post links, some of which might be a 25 page read, which would be ignored anyway,  referencing your other post in reply to jingthing.... but you get that

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Regarding insurance, I would guess that you would only have to show evidence at the time of application and again after the first five years. That does give scope for a little manoeuvring but those over 65 who don't already have insurance may be in a difficult position.

If out-patient is insisted upon then this can really add a lot to the premium and, as I said before, why's there any need for this? Most people exclude it.

Saying this, the limit is nor per visit but per year. Some policies are unlimited, others impose a limit to the number of visits.

A basic policy that would conform to the requirements for a 50 year old could be found for around 15,000 baht, rising to around 22,000 baht at age 65, so it's not extortionate for those 65 and under, considering the application criteria.

But the insurance issue will preclude many persons older than that.

And one other thing to bear in mind is for persons who cannot get cover because of previous medical conditions and operations!!

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

Your right.Any immigration officer looking for a laugh over the weekend only has to read this story and see what a lot of nervous nellies most of us are.I stopped panicing as soon as Thai readers explained it.TVF are a bit slow on the apology to it's eldrely members on the dodgy translation it put up that started all this unnecessary drama.

Your right.Any immigration officer looking for a laugh over the weekend only has to read this story and see what a lot of nervous nellies most of us are.I stopped panicing as soon as Thai readers explained it.TVF are a bit slow on the apology to it's eldrely members on the dodgy translation it put up that started all this unnecessary drama.

Click bait rule's in the world of electronic media . sponsors happy! TV happy!

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

"expats that already have or contract later on long term health problems and reach certain ages will not be able to remain in Thailand on this scheme." - perhaps Thailand's new motto will be, "healthy guys in - sick guys out."  :smile:

Hang on NKM.I thought it was sick guys in for medical reasons.This is all very confusing.Imagine being sick in your own country which probably has some sort of health cover for all ages,jumping through all the hoops to get the visa,then flying half way around the world.Then going to hospital and trying to claim on something that was probably preexisting.You don't have any friends to hold your hand in hospital.Then you have to hang around to get all your money out the bank.Yeah,can see them lining up for visas right now.

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Imagine govt officials reading a post such as the one above and then deciding to make visas easier or not.If i was a Thai govt official and was fed a daily diet of TVF besides being mad i would probably have a poor opinion of farangs,slagging the Thai people off all the bloody time." idiot-ocracy running the show",go say that when you apply for your next extension,see how you go.We are our own worst enemy.Just hope you don't drag me down with you.

Do your Thai readers even know what an O-A visa is? Can they tell you whether or not this new thing replaces the current O-A visa?

Archived