Phuket Immigration in the dark over new ‘10-year’ visa

snoop1130

For goodness sakes all you doom and gloom merchants...............let us have a bit of common sense on here for a change.

This "new" visa is NOT going to replace the annual extension of stay!! Come on, how could it possibly do so in 4 days time, if this information is correct!!! How would someone like myself and others who will be renewing in the next few weeks be able to meet the criteria!! It does not take much to work this all out as being an impossible task for most of us normal people.   

So, no need to jump off balconies, make plans to move out. Just calm down and continue life as normal.  

I will update you when I have been to Hua Hin next week for my renewal of extension to stay based on retirement.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree it is massively unlikely that this new thing will replace the annual retirement extensions in 4 days time, or possibly ever.

It's also quite clear to me we won't know all the effects of this change for a lot longer than  4 days time.

For example, will this new visa REPLACE the O-A visa. That is not the same thing as annual extensions.

I also think this change is really a warning sign about future changes down the road for the current system as far as financial requirements and health insurance requirements as well. Something to watch, writing on the wall kind of thing. 

I have never, not once, suggested anyone panic. We don't have enough details yet for that to be a rational reaction at this time. 

JT, since news of this new additional visa class came out you have literally posted hundreds of hysterical, "The sky is falling" type posts on all the threads on the subject.

You have taken it upon yourself to assume the worse possible outcome for retired expats, attacked anyone who disagrees, and have run a scare campaign to the point where you are debunking information from posters who have made direct attempts to get the truth.

We don't need you to tell us that the word of a Thai Immigration Officer is somewhat nebulous, we all deal with them on a three month basis. That doesn't make your strident rants correct.

We want to hear any real information from whatever source and make up our own minds.

I see you have again posted since I started writing this and have backed off a little, perhaps emulating the character you proudly exhibit in your avatar.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I totally agree it is massively unlikely that this new thing will replace the annual retirement extensions in 4 days time, or possibly ever.

It's also quite clear to me we won't know all the effects of this change for a lot longer than  4 days time.

For example, will this new visa REPLACE the O-A visa. That is not the same thing as annual extensions.

I also think this change is really a warning sign about future changes down the road for the current system as far as financial requirements and health insurance requirements as well. Something to watch, writing on the wall kind of thing. 

Might gut feeling tells me that there would not be a change in heath insurance as many people, myself included, are unable to get insurance because of pre existing medical conditions. I am 61 now and many companies will not insure after a certain age anyway. This is a financial condition I have to allow for when living here and I accept this. Whether insured or not, the hospitals and doctors still get their money from us!! 555    

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

JT, since news of this new additional visa class came out you have literally posted hundreds of hysterical, "The sky is falling" type posts on all the threads on the subject.

I have not posted even one hysterical post on these topics.

The gist of my POV is really the MIDDLE PATH.

Don't assume there will no negative impacts from this change to people not using this new visa.

AND

Don't assume there will be.

Because, DUH, bottom line, we simply DO NOT KNOW enough yet to DEFINITELY assert either way.

I don't need obnoxious and false heckling like your post in my life. Welcome to my ignore list.

Such a ridiculous notion that this visa will replace anything. What about the pensioners not from the 14 countries approved? Are they going to be rounded up in trucks and jailed?
However the chaos is dying down as the scare mongers are getting bored and sounding plain silly

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have not posted even one hysterical post on these topics.

The gist of my POV is really the MIDDLE PATH.

Don't assume there will no negative impacts from this change to people not using this new visa.

AND

Don't assume there will be.

Because, DUH, bottom line, we simply DO NOT KNOW enough yet to DEFINITELY assert either way.

I don't need obnoxious and false heckling like your post in my life. Welcome to my ignore list.

That must be the biggest list of all time!!  5555

Years ago he used to continually send me friend requests, all refused. Probably still sulking.

7 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Just got mine back today.... but then, it's not 1 December yet

Let's refer to the article.

The article is clearly talking about O-A visas, not annual extensions.

Some things are really not 100 percent definite.

For example ... will this new visa replace O-A visas?

So, IF it does, what is the status of people here on O-A visas BEFORE their first extension?

If you read the link literally, that's what it indicates.

As opposed to people that have already started in the annual extension system.

You could take that concern further of course. If you started on an O-A and are getting extensions based on that already, would your status be different than if you started on an O, not O-A and already here on extensions. Again, not 100 percent definite. 

Of course, we don't know what was actually in the mind of the person making that statement, plus lost in translation issues, so again the impact of these changes is not definitely known, and it's optimistic to think they will all be definitely known in a few days time.

However, it has still yet to be made clear whether the 10-year “long-stay” visa will replace the existing one-year visa option, or become an additional visa option for people wanting to stay in the country long-term.

It also has yet to be made clear whether foreigners already staying in the country on the existing one-year “retirement O-A” visa would be able to apply to stay in the Kingdom under the new visa rules without leaving the country.

Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-in-the-dark-over-new-10-year-visa-60012.php#ugt1WwSjgqpCSiyQ.99

It's lucky we have someone from Pattaya lecturing us on the Phuket forum about the difference between a visa and an extension. And, if this character didn't continually point out that there are other threads on this subject elsewhere on the forum, we would be completely in the dark!.

What's really annoying about this person is that he thinks if he repeats the same things over and over again they will assume some measure of creditability.

We already have one of those people here, we don't need the Pattaya version.

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Let's not bash NKM ....

Why bash anyone?

This visa change is a national issue.

Any changes that do (or don't) go into effect, will be meaningful to all foreigners, even though, yes, as always, there are often regional differences in enforcement details. 

48 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Let's not bash NKM ....

You are the one with a business and properties here, LIK.   I can vacate Thailand tomorrow, should I be forced to, and lose nothing. 

Whilst this new, or replacement visa category, may, or may not, effect you personally, it may effect perspective customers of yours, which may effect your business, which in turn, effects you.

After the last visa "crackdown" I know of two offshore workers who no longer come to Thailand, and they were big spenders.

If this visa is forced on a certain demographic of foreigners, I can see many more vacating Thailand.

2 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

You are the one with a business and properties here, LIK.   I can vacate Thailand tomorrow, should I be forced to, and lose nothing. 

Whilst this new, or replacement visa category, may, or may not, effect you personally, it may effect perspective customers of yours, which may effect your business, which in turn, effects you.

After the last visa "crackdown" I know of two offshore workers who no longer come to Thailand, and they were big spenders.

If this visa is forced on a certain demographic of foreigners, I can see many more vacating Thailand.

Quite right NKM, I've lost plenty of long stay guests due to visa changes.

But this topic is about a non-imm O-A = retirement. Not much help to offshore workers.  And I really don't expect there will be any change to the current  one year extension (despite all the hysteria from a number of posters here), and I really doubt  any of the folks I know will opt for the expensive 5 - 10 year option.   

2 hours ago, worrab said:

For goodness sakes all you doom and gloom merchants...............let us have a bit of common sense on here for a change.

This "new" visa is NOT going to replace the annual extension of stay!! Come on, how could it possibly do so in 4 days time, if this information is correct!!! How would someone like myself and others who will be renewing in the next few weeks be able to meet the criteria!! It does not take much to work this all out as being an impossible task for most of us normal people.   

So, no need to jump off balconies, make plans to move out. Just calm down and continue life as normal.  

I will update you when I have been to Hua Hin next week for my renewal of extension to stay based on retirement.

Whether it be a "new" visa category or, a "replacement" visa category, is the point of contention among members.

Whilst it very well may be a "new" visa category, and have no effect on current holders of retirement visas, for how long do you think they will leave the current retirement visa criteria as it is????

Whether it be a "new" visa category or, a "replacement" visa category, is the point of contention among members.

Whilst it very well may be a "new" visa category, and have no effect on current holders of retirement visas, for how long do you think they will leave the current retirement visa criteria as it is????

Why would they change it? Countless of married and single farang are barely scraping through the hoop now and countless of Brits and ozzies have fled due to exchange rate.
There is no benefit to Thailand to change it. Will it ever change? Not until Thailand becomes first world and even then it will be grandfatherd

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

Quite right NKM, I've lost plenty of long stay guests due to visa changes.

But this topic is about a non-imm O-A = retirement. Not much help to offshore workers.  And I really don't expect there will be any change to the current  one year extension (despite all the hysteria from a number of posters here), and I really doubt  any of the folks I know will opt for the expensive 5 - 10 year option.   

"I really doubt  any of the folks I know will opt for the expensive 5 - 10 year option." - I agree with this comment, so, how are the Thai's going to "sell" it to them, and if it can't be sold to them, that only leaves "forcing" them onto it????

They sold a lot of Elite Visas during the last crackdown, why, because they cut off a lot of access to tourist visas.  

What's the point of offering this visa category if it's not a product people would buy, unless, people are pushed onto it?

I am not scare mongering, and it's not hysteria.

I am trying to read between the lines, and to understand who may be in their sights for this visa category. 

It's probably someone like me, under 50 and self funded, but visas are a big revenue earner for Thailand, and visa criteria is a great way to capitalize Thai banks with foreign cash.

Eventually, they are going to "tweak" existing visa categories, and criteria, to raise more funds for Government and Thai banks.  It's not if, just when, and we may be seeing the start of it now. 

To my knowledge, the current visa criteria has been in existence for many years - it can't stay the same forever.  

This is why I have said, "The writing is on the wall." 

"I really doubt  any of the folks I know will opt for the expensive 5 - 10 year option." - I agree with this comment, so, how are the Thai's going to "sell" it to them, and if it can't be sold to them, that only leaves "forcing" them onto it????

They sold a lot of Elite Visas during the last crackdown, why, because they cut off a lot of access to tourist visas.  

What's the point of offering this visa category if it's not a product people would buy, unless, people are pushed onto it?

I am not scare mongering, and it's not hysteria.

I am trying to read between the lines, and to understand who may be in their sights for this visa category. 

It's probably someone like me, under 50 and self funded, but visas are a big revenue earner for Thailand, and visa criteria is a great way to capitalize Thai banks with foreign cash.

Eventually, they are going to "tweak" existing visa categories, and criteria, to raise more funds for Government and Thai banks.  It's not if, just when, and we may be seeing the start of it now. 

To my knowledge, the current visa criteria has been in existence for many years - it can't stay the same forever.  

This is why I have said, "The writing is on the wall." 

Ha ha ha the writing has been on" the wall " for 20 years on TV!! if you have a spare year you can trawl the millions of posts, Like yours were totally BS!
Never happened!!! Lol

14 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Why would they change it? Countless of married and single farang are barely scraping through the hoop now and countless of Brits and ozzies have fled due to exchange rate.
There is no benefit to Thailand to change it. Will it ever change? Not until Thailand becomes first world and even then it will be grandfatherd

For the record, I really don't care either way.  I have nothing tying me to Thailand.

"Why would they change it?" - why wouldn't they???  TIT.

"Countless of married and single farang are barely scraping through the hoop now" - why do you think they care about that????  Just look at the heavy financial burden this new visa criteria places on its holders.

"countless of Brits and ozzies have fled due to exchange rate." - probably just the people they are happy to see leave.

"There is no benefit to Thailand to change it." - what's the negative impact????

"Will it ever change?" - it can't stay the same forever.

"Not until Thailand becomes first world and even then it will be grandfatherd" - have you considered the visa criteria may be reviewed in the future because Thailand is Third World, not First World????

"They sold a lot of Elite Visas during the last crackdown, why, because they cut off a lot of access to tourist visas"

Yes, to those under 50, with  no Thai spouce and no WP.  

" It's probably someone like me, under 50 and self funded, but visas are a big revenue earner for Thailand, and visa criteria is a great way to capitalize Thai banks with foreign cash. "

So you do not yet qualify for any sort of retirement visa/extension.

"To my knowledge, the current visa criteria has been in existence for many years - it can't stay the same forever."

Visa/extension critera is tweaked most years, but big changes not so often. I can think of reduction in retirement age 4 time (downwards), increase in retired or married man money in bank (doubled),  time money in bank increased to 90 days,  30 day arrival stamp extension increase from 7 to 30 days   ... and I could go on and on.

I would expect about time for the money in bank or income for retired or married to be increased as it's been that way for a long time.

For the record, I really don't care either way.  I have nothing tying me to Thailand.

"Why would they change it?" - why wouldn't they???  TIT.

"Countless of married and single farang are barely scraping through the hoop now" - why do you think they care about that????  Just look at the heavy financial burden this new visa criteria places on its holders.

"countless of Brits and ozzies have fled due to exchange rate." - probably just the people they are happy to see leave.

"There is no benefit to Thailand to change it." - what's the negative impact????

"Will it ever change?" - it can't stay the same forever.

"Not until Thailand becomes first world and even then it will be grandfatherd" - have you considered the visa criteria may be reviewed in the future because Thailand is Third World, not First World????

You are by far the most anti Thai poster on TV , you couldn't provide a link to 5 positive posts if your life depended on it and this, Thailand is a 3rd world? You just lost all credibility!

5 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Ha ha ha the writing has been on" the wall " for 20 years on TV!! if you have a spare year you can trawl the millions of posts, Like yours were totally BS!
Never happened!!! Lol

I believe I was recently targeted by the last tourist visa crackdown.  I have a visa run system in place, involving more than one passport, so it appears I have slipped through their net. 

Many others were not so lucky, and were forced to vacate Thailand.  I catch up with some of them on my visa runs.

For these people, the Thai Government's motto was, "Good guy in - bad guys out."  Sure, some were bad guys, but most were contract workers, offshore workers, remote workers etc. 

The "real" bad guys, I suggest, are just overstayers now, and never even left.

So, where do they cast their net next?

Foreigners have no rights here.  We are not in the voting public.  They can do what they want to visas, at anytime, which may have a big impact on some foreigners who are then unable to reside here.  I have already given an example of this. 

So, as for "Never happened!!!" - doesn't mean it never will.

mcfish, this visa aside, do you have a "Plan B" alternative to Thailand?  If so, why did you develop a Plan B? 

If we're talking about current retirement extension financial requirement yes there is a precedent of grandfathering for those already in the system at old levels. That certainly showed humane compassion to do that as many elders don't realistically have anything to go "back home" to after living in Thailand for several years and some for decades. However positive precedent of grandfathering is no guarantee of future government immigration policies. Here or anywhere.

10 minutes ago, mcfish said:

You are by far the most anti Thai poster on TV , you couldn't provide a link to 5 positive posts if your life depended on it and this, Thailand is a 3rd world? You just lost all credibility!

Another one who thinks the whole of Thailand is the same as Phuket.  :smile:

Never been to a rural village and seen how they live. 

I believe I was recently targeted by the last tourist visa crackdown.  I have a visa run system in place, involving more than one passport, so it appears I have slipped through their net. 

Many others were not so lucky, and were forced to vacate Thailand.  I catch up with some of them on my visa runs.

For these people, the Thai Government's motto was, "Good guy in - bad guys out."  Sure, some were bad guys, but most were contract workers, offshore workers, remote workers etc. 

The "real" bad guys, I suggest, are just overstayers now, and never even left.

So, where do they cast their net next?

Foreigners have no rights here.  We are not in the voting public.  They can do what they want to visas, at anytime, which may have a big impact on some foreigners who are then unable to reside here.  I have already given an example of this. 

So, as for "Never happened!!!" - doesn't mean it never will.

mcfish, this visa aside, do you have a "Plan B" alternative to Thailand?  If so, why did you develop a Plan B? 

Plan B would be get on a Plane back to Australia. It's hardly a plan though it's just logic

25 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

"They sold a lot of Elite Visas during the last crackdown, why, because they cut off a lot of access to tourist visas"

Yes, to those under 50, with  no Thai spouce and no WP.  

" It's probably someone like me, under 50 and self funded, but visas are a big revenue earner for Thailand, and visa criteria is a great way to capitalize Thai banks with foreign cash. "

So you do not yet qualify for any sort of retirement visa/extension.

"To my knowledge, the current visa criteria has been in existence for many years - it can't stay the same forever."

Visa/extension critera is tweaked most years, but big changes not so often. I can think of reduction in retirement age 4 time (downwards), increase in retired or married man money in bank (doubled),  time money in bank increased to 90 days,  30 day arrival stamp extension increase from 7 to 30 days   ... and I could go on and on.

I would expect about time for the money in bank or income for retired or married to be increased as it's been that way for a long time.

"So you do not yet qualify for any sort of retirement visa/extension." - no.  I'm still under 50 years of age. 

"Visa/extension critera is tweaked most years, but big changes not so often. I can think of reduction in retirement age 4 time (downwards), increase in retired or married man money in bank (doubled),  time money in bank increased to 90 days,  30 day arrival stamp extension increase from 7 to 30 days   ... and I could go on and on." - this contradicts another member who says the criteria hasn't change for 20 years. 

"I would expect about time for the money in bank or income for retired or married to be increased as it's been that way for a long time." - I would think so.  Ever since I looked into moving here long term, it's been the same.  So, whilst this new visa may not be targeting current retirement visa holders, this new visa may give an insight into what the Government is thinking in relation to medical insurance and money in the bank. 

So, there may be similar changes to the current retirement visa criteria in the near future, along similar lines to this new visa.  

This why I laugh at members like mcfish who say, they will never do that, or never do this, and then they do it.  :smile:

6 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Plan B would be get on a Plane back to Australia. It's hardly a plan though it's just logic

Are you serious?

What about Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Bali?

All are visa friendly. 

Are you serious?

What about Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Bali?

All are visa friendly. 

Maybe Vietnam for the food but not the others and Bali may as well be another Australian state.

But your argument is "nothing last forever"

Nothing lasts forever cant be used in debate because you would never lose

Archived