Visit from Immigration

jamie2009

A friend of a friend has a Bar, Farang, it's in his Thai GF name, he opened up yesterday, he was giving the Pool Table a quick clean when 2 IO approached him. You have Work Permit ? No he didn't, they said 150000 baht or you will be deported, he called the Police ended up paying 10000 baht to the Police and 30000 to the 2 IO people obviously no receipts. I thought you were allowed to to work, cleaning the Pool Table isn't work really in your own premises ? To rub his nose in it they played Pool after he gave them the money.

3 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

Know the rules people. Know the rules.

there are  no  rules, the rules are what they want to invent at any given time

If the story's "actually "  true  he should have just said he was about to have a game himself and thats  why he was cleaning it.

Edited by kannot

14 minutes ago, kannot said:

If the story's "actually "  true  he should have just said he was about to have a game himself and thats  why he was cleaning it.

I think it's a wind up :)

latest?cb=20091002212718

Edited by evadgib

25 minutes ago, kannot said:

hence the "actually"

hence the "actually"

hence the "actually"

Not a wind up, I don't want too name the Bar or the location for various reasons, 

why are there so many cynical people on Thai Visa ?

To get back to the subject on hand I thought this sort of thing was what the Army were trying to stop or is it not worth pursuing as life would become very difficult ?

9 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Not a wind up, I don't want too name the Bar or the location for various reasons, 

To get back to the subject on hand I thought this sort of thing was what the Army were trying to stop or is it not worth pursuing as life would become very difficult ?

actually  infers it  may , or  may not be true

1 hour ago, kannot said:

there are  no  rules, the rules are what they want to invent at any given time

Incorrect - the rules are pretty clear about this sort of work.

There are outlawed occupations that you simply cannot do. So even if you own a restaurant, you cannot wait tables. In addition - the OP stated the man had no work permit, yet he was clearly working in a place of business.

The rules are clear, he didn't follow them, he got targeted because of it. 

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

Incorrect - the rules are pretty clear about this sort of work.

There are outlawed occupations that you simply cannot do. So even if you own a restaurant, you cannot wait tables. In addition - the OP stated the man had no work permit, yet he was clearly working in a place of business.

The rules are clear, he didn't follow them, he got targeted because of it. 

u missed  the  point..............

And why would he pay? LMFAO. 

The reason these 'people' do what they do is because there are always suckers who pay. 

I would have told them, I just spilled my drink and quickly wiped it because that's the right thing to do. 

Want me to pay? Let's go to court. Bring the evidence, that proves beyond doubt that I was working. 

I will bring my lawyers. 

If you insist on spending your money then why not spend it on a lawyer. At least they give something in return. 

I would rather get deported than get extorted. 

19 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

And why would he pay? LMFAO. 

The reason these 'people' do what they do is because there are always suckers who pay. 

I would have told them, I just spilled my drink and quickly wiped it because that's the right thing to do. 

Want me to pay? Let's go to court. Bring the evidence, that proves beyond doubt that I was working. 

I will bring my lawyers. 

If you insist on spending your money then why not spend it on a lawyer. At least they give something in return. 

I would rather get deported than get extorted. 

I couldn't agree more, I have met the fella once, he has only had the Bar for 6 weeks.

He obviously went into panic mode as soon as 150k Baht was mentioned, they weren't looking for 150k just a bit of tea money. I would have done what you said, spilt my drink/food etc on the table and was just cleaning it off, any problem we go to the IO Office and I will explain there.

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Perhaps it is you missing the point.  A friend of a friend of a friend has a bar, he knew the rules, he broke the rules.  What is there to understand?

So you can't even clean a bit of dust off a Pool Table, there is some thing called compromise, does that mean I can't mow the lawn or sweep the yard.

Thailand does nothing to attract people, at every opportunity they want to screw you.

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

Just another friend of a friend story... Yawn zzzzzzzzz

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

But true and should be a warning to others, that's the point of Forums to ask and offer advice, not sarcastic comments like yours.

5 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

But true and should be a warning to others, that's the point of Forums to ask and offer advice, not sarcastic comments like yours.

Not a warning at all,  and pretty obvious what was going on at your friends first encounter.

Your friend should of known that If your involved in business in any way with a Thai partner, and to be post civil about it there are things he should of made himself aware of.

As said he then could of come up with replies mentioned but that may not of held up if someone has grassed on him, and they were in waiting to see him opening up.

If that was case and he was wised to it, he may have got away with a 10,000 backhander fix.  :biggrin:

The immigration fine for working in Thailand without a work-permit is 30,000 baht and still is as far as l understand,  deportation would not be carried out on first offence.

l can confirm because an intangible acquaintance of mine and don't yawn, :laugh:  was fined 30,000 baht for wiping a table after picking up a cup & saucer and taking out the back to kitchen at his wife's restaurant and was photographed by someone who disliked him  :w00t:  the nasty git unknown but a suspected person sent the photos to the immigration and a visit was made.

It weren't me by the way.  :laugh:

9 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Perhaps it is you missing the point.  A friend of a friend of a friend has a bar, he knew the rules, he broke the rules.  What is there to understand?

seems for a  fee the  rules evaporated,  no  problem understanding but  thanks  for  your concern

Any farang investing in a business here, particularly a bar or restaurant, needs an interlocutor to deal with police and other government agencies. Depending on the size of the business and the nature of the interaction, this could be the Thai wife/girlfriend, a solicitor, an accountant or even a patron.

You can do it yourself if you like and you may be successful or think you are but the whole process will be more expensive and time-consuming.

13 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

Lots of sandal-wearing old folk with not much else to do. :whistling:

What your buddy did might not be considered work, but he should have done a bit of research... unless you have a business set up with work permit, money put down and several Thais working for you, do not do anything other than sit down and be a paying customer. It's harsh and sucks, but this is how things roll here. Personally think anyone that wants to do that type of business here needs their head read. Just open yourself up to having your pocket felt.

Had a friend done for working without a work permit after a guy / so called customer asked him to change the music disc in a bar that was in the wife's name, asked if he had a work permit. ended up paying 20000 to stay out of jail.

4 minutes ago, thaipod said:

Had a friend done for working without a work permit after a guy / so called customer asked him to change the music disc in a bar that was in the wife's name, asked if he had a work permit. ended up paying 20000 to stay out of jail.

30 years ago I was talking to a bar owner in phuket. He was upset, he had just been fined 20,000 baht for changing the tape on his music center.  Some things never change.

21 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

I thought you were allowed to to work, cleaning the Pool Table isn't work really in your own premises ?

You've managed to completely contradict yourself there, OP.  Okay then, what would you define as work?  Readying the pool table for the upcoming day's activities would seem like work to me. 

Anyway the bar owner wants to take a back seat in this business pretty sharpish and do some serious research.  Also remind him that he may well get a visit from the copyright licensing guys anytime soon for playing music in his bar.

Oh, the joys of owning a bar in Thailand!  Not.