SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

Scott

SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

• Yes, all foreigners should show proof of insurance or be required to purchase it before entering the Kingdom.
    • No, foreigners should not have to show or purchase insurance.

This poll is closed to new votes

SURVEY:   Should foreigners entering Thailand be required to have or purchase medical insurance?

One of the points raised in the proposed changes in immigration rules is that foreigners may be required to have medical insurance.   In your opinion, do you think Thailand should require foreigners to have medical insurance or to purchase medical insurance before being allowed to enter Thailand?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Cats4ever said:

Yes they should - bludging off another country is not good. How you prove you have the insurance could be tricky. I have a print out of my insurance with me when I travel; would not be hard to forge.

Bludging? Where in Thailand do you get free medical care? When I go to any hospital, private or gov't, I must pay the rate. And, I pay it in full. Most insurance is a scheme that preys on your fear and the collusion of big business, big Pharma, and a profit motive as the main ingredients. They arbitrarily decide on the worth of various procedures, treatments, etc., guaranteeing the profits for those in control. This, in effect, is against the people, as it makes a basic service, care and treatment giving, unaffordable for the masses. The only benefit having foreigners have their own health insurance is for the private hospitals who will be able to charge top dollar/euro for their service. 

Try to rethink your response before coming to an absurd conclusion. 

Of course not -- any such demand would open the floodgates on scams of every hue.  If the Thai Government supplied some form of "foreigner insurance" that would be a reasonable option, but given the terms and conditions applying to health and travel insurance being so diverse, it would be impossible for Immigration to compare "like-with-like" amongst the companies.

I think tourists arriving in Thailand should have travel insurance at least.  However, those that retire to Thailand and live long term, getting insurance above a certain age is impossible because no Thai insurance company will insure them at their age.  So if the Thai government requires all persons tourist and expats to have insurance, the Thai government will need to provide a means that will require Thai insurance company's to cover anyone of any age at a reasonable price.  Its called spreading the risk, maybe a new concept to Thai insurance companies. 

If health insurance became mandatory all the old codgers over 70 would have to leave. Cue here there must be a few rich ole farts that will boo me on this one. Thailand could offer us a reasonable health insurance coverage as after all we do spend money here but it is always the case with a captive audience the likes of us take and not give. They offered coverage a few years back and then quickly withdrew the plan before the ink was dry. I think they felt that they might get the short end of the stick. Heaven forbid. They want to keep the bahts coming but investing in the continuance of the baht flow not so much. Even Costa Rica has a more compassion in their health system you must join. Incoming. 

I believe the survey should offer more options. For example, I think that those coming for Visa-exempt stays of 30 days, should not necessarily require such health insurance. Whereas all who want to stay longer, SETV or METV or any sort of non-immigrant Visas, should show proof of a health insurance. But then again: How do they want to check those insurances? There is no standard policy and it could be in a language that is not understood (and no, I don't mean English in this case).

Grandfathering must taken into account as well, or do they really want to kick out that 78 year old who has lived in the country for 20+ years without any wrongdoing only because he does not have health insurance (but enough money to care for his life and probably his Thai family members). Of course they COULD do that but it would be inhuman.

Back in 2003, I had invited a national of Malaysia to my home country for a few weeks. There was no need to show proof of a health insurance, but I obtained one for that person anyway.

1 hour ago, Cats4ever said:

Yes they should - bludging off another country is not good. How you prove you have the insurance could be tricky. I have a print out of my insurance with me when I travel; would not be hard to forge.

You must get insurance in Thailand my friend just come out of Bangkok pattaya and was a complete rip off just disgusting the charges I have another friend went in sattahip hospital and was much better and miles cheaper get insurance a must 

52 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Of course not -- any such demand would open the floodgates on scams of every hue.  If the Thai Government supplied some form of "foreigner insurance" that would be a reasonable option, but given the terms and conditions applying to health and travel insurance being so diverse, it would be impossible for Immigration to compare "like-with-like" amongst the companies.

If you work in Thailand you can get all your treatment free for 400bht a month sceme

4 minutes ago, hutchings1963 said:

If you work in Thailand you can get all your treatment free for 400bht a month sceme

That's a very big "If"   

The question has been spurred by the recently announced retirement option, not for people working in Thailand....

Yes...

For your own protection.

I  recommended travel insurance to a friend in Costa Rica and he laughed.

About a month later he was walking across the street and got hit by a motorcycle at high-speed and broke his pelvis and fractured his leg in two places. He was taken to a government hospital, at the same time all the doctors went on strike so he had to lay in bed for 2 1/2 weeks with broken bones and no prescriptions for pain medication.  He will be crippled for life as bones have to be reset as soon as possible for best results.

If he had travel insurance he could have gone to many fine private hospitals immediately.

Private  hospitals in Costa Rica now require a minimum of $20,000 credit line on a credit card/s before they will admit a patient. Probably more for his injuries.  He didn't have it.

Travel insurance will also cover air ambulance service to your home country and cover some nursing care.

Most if not all International Major Medical Policies and travel Insurance policies no longer cover accidents when you are riding on motorcycle taxis.  Something to ponder before getting on one, especially with no eye protection, nor helmet!

Some countries will not allow you to leave with a medical lien and some will not let you back in with outstanding medical bills in that country.

The more free loaders that burn hospitals on bills, the hospitals have to charge more to cover losses which drive up Insurance premiums for everyone else.

Having insurance is always a good thing up until the insurance company believes that you are too old, 70, 75 or so and then cancels the insurance.

Would the government then say, sorry you are too old and have no insurance. No more extensions for you. Out you go?

35 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

I believe the survey should offer more options. For example, I think that those coming for Visa-exempt stays of 30 days, should not necessarily require such health insurance. Whereas all who want to stay longer, SETV or METV or any sort of non-immigrant Visas, should show proof of a health insurance. But then again: How do they want to check those insurances? There is no standard policy and it could be in a language that is not understood (and no, I don't mean English in this case).

Grandfathering must taken into account as well, or do they really want to kick out that 78 year old who has lived in the country for 20+ years without any wrongdoing only because he does not have health insurance (but enough money to care for his life and probably his Thai family members). Of course they COULD do that but it would be inhuman

Inhumane! Do you really believe that would be a consideration?

2 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Yes...

For your own protection.

I  recommended travel insurance to a friend in Costa Rica and he laughed.

About a month later he was walking across the street and got hit by a motorcycle at high-speed and broke his pelvis and fractured his leg in two places. He was taken to a government hospital, at the same time all the doctors went on strike so he had to lay in bed for 2 1/2 weeks with broken bones and no prescriptions for pain medication.  He will be crippled for life as bones have to be reset as soon as possible for best results.

If he had travel insurance he could have gone to many fine private hospitals immediately.

Private  hospitals in Costa Rica now require a minimum of $20,000 credit line on a credit card/s before they will admit a patient. Probably more for his injuries.  He didn't have it.

Travel insurance will also cover air ambulance service to your home country and cover some nursing care.

Most if not all International Major Medical Policies and travel Insurance policies no longer cover accidents when you are riding on motorcycle taxis.  Something to ponder before getting on one, especially with no eye protection, nor helmet!

Some countries will not allow you to leave with a medical lien and some will not let you back in with outstanding medical bills in that country.

The more free loaders that burn hospitals on bills, the hospitals have to charge more to cover losses which drive up Insurance premiums for everyone else.

The last time I went to a public hospital in rural Thailand was with an ingrowing toenail. The doctor. who spoke good English and had a sense of humour, sent me to the treatment room and came himself 5 minutes later. He gave me pain killing injections and removed the offending item. I paid the bill in cash at the going rate for farangs, less than 1,000 IIRC and went on my way. Daily dressings were done at the hospital for a week and then at the local clinics which were free.

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The last time I went to a public hospital in rural Thailand was with an ingrowing toenail. The doctor. who spoke good English and had a sense of humour, sent me to the treatment room and came himself 5 minutes later. He gave me pain killing injections and removed the offending item. I paid the bill in cash at the going rate for farangs, less than 1,000 IIRC and went on my way. Daily dressings were done at the hospital for a week and then at the local clinics which were free.

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Go in with a $50,000 required procedure like a heart problem without insurance/minimum credit requirements and see what happens! You might find yourself pushed out the door and left at the curb!

1 hour ago, nightbird said:

Bludging? Where in Thailand do you get free medical care? When I go to any hospital, private or gov't, I must pay the rate. And, I pay it in full. Most insurance is a scheme that preys on your fear and the collusion of big business, big Pharma, and a profit motive as the main ingredients. They arbitrarily decide on the worth of various procedures, treatments, etc., guaranteeing the profits for those in control. This, in effect, is against the people, as it makes a basic service, care and treatment giving, unaffordable for the masses. The only benefit having foreigners have their own health insurance is for the private hospitals who will be able to charge top dollar/euro for their service. 

Try to rethink your response before coming to an absurd conclusion. 

I could not agree more with you there.  Insurance companies are one of the biggest scam and Cats4ever is out to lunch with his comments.  I went a few times in Thailand hospitals and paid the bill no problem.  I have been in Thailand about 20 times and the last 10 years I spent 6 months out of the year in Thailand and if I had taken medical insurance every time I would have wasted thousands of dollars of my hard earned money.  I am 71 years old and fairly healthy and even if you are covered they always try to find an excuse not to pay up and if you have a condition, forget it.  And you are absolutely right when you say they charge you top dollars when they find out that you have insurance coverage. 

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Having insurance is always a good thing up until the insurance company believes that you are too old, 70, 75 or so and then cancels the insurance.

Would the government then say, sorry you are too old and have no insurance. No more extensions for you. Out you go?

Some foreign hospitals without Insurance, nor proper credit would leave you on a  gurney in the hall without medical help, food and water and wait for you to expire!

I would say yes

Tourists...many are drinking party types & crash motorbikes often enough

Anyone who has lived here for years has read many times please from family members from where ever

asking for help to fund their now bed ridden or worse relative homewards

Long Term Expats? 100% yes required & if they want to claim ..."Oh I self insure or can always go

home if I have a problem"..... then they need to deposit X amount deemed sufficient by Thailand

into a fund that is locked & they can gain interest from it but not use the principal of it.

Fair is fair & Thailand is going to get stuck big time with all the retiring geriatrics that come here many of

whom are still spending their days lifting beer mugs

I'm sure this may not be well received but if it was your country & thousands were retiring there

without insurance you would say the same

1 hour ago, ksamuiguy said:

Travel insurance is inexpensive if purchased in your home country, coverage for asia in very reasonable.

Try again.  They were going to charge me $ 2,000.00 with $ 1,000.00 deductible for 5 months.  Is it what you call reasonable?  I told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, I"ll go without it.

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How about last time you had a stroke? Or needed an emergency pacemaker?

I cannot help but notice how many claim...yeah but medical is so cheap here I don't need to worry :smile:

16 minutes ago, mania said:

I cannot help but notice how many claim...yeah but medical is so cheap here I don't need to worry :smile:

The last time I had a heart problem was in 2006 and I had 2 stents put in.

I had no insurance but I paid cash. About 250,000 baht.

I have not yet needed a pacemaker.

Are you happy about my health now (not that it is any of your business)?

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

555 calm down or you'll need another stent :wai:

Could care less about your health thanks....

I was replying to your post of how cheap it is here medical care wise

Yes I agree good prices but many here are obviously skint

Glad you had the 250k to pay

I vote yes foreigners need to have insurance or show they can pay cash

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

25 minutes ago, mania said:

hi Guys - I am and have been curious - what happens to the people who do not have much savings? Surely there is a group of expats here because they do not have much money and daily life is cheaper  - - but they are not going to have the 300,000 for a heart procedure or more... what happens when they show up in an ER w/a heart attack or after a serious motorcycle accident? Do they get minimal treatment or are just asked to leave?  

Archived