BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eldragon

The Eternal Mysteries of Thailand

Thai food is great when it's made to Thai tastes. Get used to it and learn to love it.

" You give your Thai lady money and next thing she's asking for more." You picked the wrong horse in this race.

My wonder is Thais  putting catsup on pizza.

3 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

What are the eternal mysteries of Thailand? What are the unanswerable questions about the Land of Smiles? What things exist or occur here without a sensible explanation?

I'll go first, with an easy one: Why are there so many ladyboys (and toms) in Thailand?

And, Why do the Tom's have such good looking girlfriends?

Have to admit, some of them are Dee-lightful..............................:smile:

37 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Thai food is great when it's made to Thai tastes. Get used to it and learn to love it.

" You give your Thai lady money and next thing she's asking for more." You picked the wrong horse in this race.

My wonder is Thais  putting catsup on pizza.

The catsup is to enhance the flavor of the mayonnaise.

Why are there so many 1,000 baht notes flying around this place if most people won't accept them?

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Mine is why the must have new not s/h otherwise you look poor, my wife is not like that thank goodness. :smile: 

Thailand is the new money of Asia. Anyway, most Thais I know seem okay with second hand unless they're a female involved with a foreigner. Then everything has to be new, first class, or VIP.

In the opening pages Lonely Planet guide says. ''Thailand is a land full of ambiguities and Incongruities.'  Absolutely true but i have no idea why it turned out that way!

6 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Well, as to lady boys, why is it that so many are tall and thin, much more so than the general population? 

Just by appearance, I have had people tell me it is because the typical body types are not that different between an average male and average female... but why are so many ladyboys quite tall and thin? 

Undernourished. 

the eternal mystery to me, is that are always new ones popping up every day...

today:

We were in the grocery store.

Amongst the cache of goodies is a bag of mushrooms,

and missus has put them into the paper bag, inside a plastic bag.

I, the dumb falang; knows what's going to happen...

and in preparation for the inevitable - I grab a spare paper bag...

... the CheckOut chick grabs the bag(s) and shoves her hand in and mulches the paper bag within

I turn around to grab my 'spare'

It's gone!!

"The paper bag, honey?" I ask, pointing to the basket.

In response I get the usual:

"WHY you collect Lubbish?? - I throw it away" (gotta credit her though - she's real quick, when you don't want her to be)

The eternal repeating thing I can only again do:

Is shrug and say "Yes, I  dumb falang" - and then say "I luv you too dear"

50 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

In the opening pages Lonely Planet guide says. ''Thailand is a land full of ambiguities and Incongruities.'  Absolutely true but i have no idea why it turned out that way!

I think some of the confusion and contradiction is due to confrontation being impolite... this will often lead to answers in the affirmative that are incorrect and so, I would guess that people grow up with and hear a lot of unintentional incorrect answers... which can lead to some of the insecurities that you see and some people not wanting to offer an answer for fear of being incorrect... 

6 hours ago, Hayduke said:

The catsup is to enhance the flavor of the mayonnaise.

Ohhh, you've had those pizzas as well. I can eat pretty much everything but those are such crap and the Thais don't even know it.

I love mayonnaise. It is one of the 5 major food groups. But worse than catsup on pizza is the Chinese adding a very sweet mayonnaise and almonds to shrimp.

20 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Well, as to lady boys, why is it that so many are tall and thin, much more so than the general population? 

Just by appearance, I have had people tell me it is because the typical body types are not that different between an average male and average female... but why are so many ladyboys quite tall and thin? 

I've noticed that, often, if you imagine western women with a male hairstyle, facially they could easily be mistaken for men. Try it and see. Far less so the other way around.

19 hours ago, johninbkk71 said:

Who started the myth and why does it still exist that that Thai food is one of the best cuisine in the world?

Royal Thai Cuisine differs drastically from Issan Road Kill

21 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes the west is quite the opposite. I did a thriving second hand business with people even calling me looking for certain items. By the same token the quality of items here leaves little room for a second hand market as they barely last in the first set of hands to own them. 

I guess you right about many s/h items.

Good quality can be found from private sales of motorbikes and cars.

We found 2 fridges in great condition s/h for wife's cafe', saved a good amount. 

22 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes the west is quite the opposite. I did a thriving second hand business with people even calling me looking for certain items. By the same token the quality of items here leaves little room for a second hand market as they barely last in the first set of hands to own them. 

If anything still has any value left, it goes to a member of the family... thus, no garage sales, except by foreigners...