Airport train being built to Don Muang ?

cyrilmadrid

Hi. When I went last to Don Muang a couple of weeks ago, I noticed on the left of the highway a skytrain/express rail being built. Are they finally building an express train to Don Muang ? Quite a few of the station seemed almost finished. Would that be opening in 2017 ?
I tried to research on the web, only found reference to a small train station next to Don Muang, but this is not what I am talking about.

Moved to Bangkok forum.

Although it refers to Don Mueang I think it's best in the Bangkok forum where the local knowledge is.

And yes they build an elevated train.

Just that I don't know the details and schedule.

I think it's a light railway extension from Bang Sue to Rangsit. I don't think it's due to be finished for another year or two. The BTS extension is being built along Pahonyothin Rd, which is on the other side of the airport. That will run from Mor Chit to Ku Kot.

What you saw is the SRT dark red line from Bang Sue to Rangsit, it is still a few years away from opening (2019 I think), I believe that the contracts for the trains and electrification have only just been signed.

As Jaiyenyen said the BTS extension is being built on Pahonyothin road and they are only just getting the first pillars up there (supposed to be finished 2020).

The the dark red line will have local and express services (express being Bang Sue, Don Muang and Rangsit only) and if they get around to extending the ARL to Bang Sue they will be able to run trains between the two airports.

SRT Airport Link extension Phayathai - Bangsue - Donmueang Will be given to the Cabinet for approval next year (2017) est.cost = 31139.35 Million Baht

The line you can see is the elevated section of the 1metre gauge SRT rail tracks.  The others are

• SRT Light Red line - (15 km) - 100% built
  • SRT Dark Red line - (26 km) - 64.27% built

MRTA Integrated Transport Map 2016.jpg

I heard near the end of 2017. It will save me from getting speeding tickets on the highway to the airport.

This highway has cameras. Caught twice in 6 years. Each time 400 baht cash. The second time I wasn't even speeding.

But cannot Fight with the police :(

On 11/28/2016 at 7:18 AM, Bsd said:

What you saw is the SRT dark red line from Bang Sue to Rangsit, it is still a few years away from opening (2019 I think), I believe that the contracts for the trains and electrification have only just been signed.

As Jaiyenyen said the BTS extension is being built on Pahonyothin road and they are only just getting the first pillars up there (supposed to be finished 2020).

The the dark red line will have local and express services (express being Bang Sue, Don Muang and Rangsit only) and if they get around to extending the ARL to Bang Sue they will be able to run trains between the two airports.

The Dark Red line will not have express services between Rangsit and Bang Sue. It is an all stop suburban/commuter line.

Even the Thammasat Uni extension from Rangsit will not have express services.

However, when the whole of the 96km Dark Red Line from Tham Uni to Mahachai is eventually finished there will most likely be some peak express services which would make a lot of sense. The problem is that the SRT hasn't catered for such in their current line configuration. 

A couple of renders of what the DM, 4 level station will look like when completed.

Keep in mind that the upper level will be for the ARL extension which is yet to be tendered and stupidly another viaduct will be built alongside the Dark Red Line for the ARL. 

DMK station 1.jpg

DMK station2.jpg

DMK station3.jpg

5 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Whats the bus number ?  and to which BTS / MRT ?

thanks

The A1 bus from BTS Mor Chit/MRT Chatuchak.  look for the sign/booth on the park side of the road.  the bus is 30 baht each way, AC and uses the expressway.

On 29/11/2016 at 4:23 PM, Lakegeneve said:

The Dark Red line will not have express services between Rangsit and Bang Sue. It is an all stop suburban/commuter line.

I was going based on what wikipedia says, but am happy to be corrected.  I know there was a lot of discussions early on about the number of tracks that should be installed.

Also Don Muang station clearly has two levels of tracks (which merge down between stations)  where as the other stations don't (haven't seen Rangsit or Bang Sue so don't know about them).  and all the design was done before talk of extending the ARL came up.

2 hours ago, Bsd said:

I was going based on what wikipedia says, but am happy to be corrected.  I know there was a lot of discussions early on about the number of tracks that should be installed.

Also Don Muang station clearly has two levels of tracks (which merge down between stations)  where as the other stations don't (haven't seen Rangsit or Bang Sue so don't know about them).  and all the design was done before talk of extending the ARL came up.

Original track design in 2006 had 4 tracks, 2 for ARL and 2 for suburban (Dark Red) and intercity. That became 2 tracks in the Dark Red Line tendered in 2011 and the subsequent 2 year contract delay until construction started in the 2nd half of 2013. Only last year did the SRT realise that they need 3 tracks and they asked for another 6 billion for the project.

As mentioned, in the previous post " Keep in mind that the upper level will be for the ARL extension". Yes, DM is the only multi-level platform station in the current part of the line under construction, it will be a 4 level station.

The ARL was always intended to be extended to DM and the original SRT designs for the Dark Red Line going back a decade reflect that. However, overall designs have change a couple of times and the SRT has been very poor regarding integrated design of their new suburban network (see this 2012 post at the top page 5 of the New Skytrain thread).

Original plans envisaged 3 completely incompatible lines! At least now it will only be 2 incompatible networks! The long planned extension of the Light Red Line to Hua Mark and to run directly adjacent to the ARL with a whole new viaduct and new stations has to be the epitome of stupidity! 

Archived