Fishing

cazablanka

Are there any fishing trips in krabi? we like to hire a boat, with perhaps a few others and go and catch some big fish, What sort of fish do you have out there? we will be there over the xmas newyear holidays.

We took a trip out of Phuket last year...mid January....they promised bill fish..tuna barracuda all the things we wanted to hear..we spent 13 hours on board ..lots beer and food..nice crew...NO FISH!!!We had a nice day at sea but we were hoping for more than a cruise.On the way in one of the 3 crewman told us since the tsunami "not good fishing" around Phuket /Krabi area ....told us we should have gone on an overnight trip to the Similan Islands.good fishing according to him ..would have been nice to have been told this tid bit BEFORE we booked ...oh well live and learn

Most of the boats that do fishing in Thailand do not have a clue how to fish.

There are one or two in Phuket which can be recommended.

If you fish Krabi you coulde go to Koh Rok nok, very good fishing for sailfish, but you will need a decent boat and decent equipment. Fish for them with livebaits or tuna belly.

fishing from longtails is rubbish, u need a decent sportfishing boat with proper equipment and they go from Phuket.

Thank you for a nice honest reply to my question, it would have been very disappointing to go out for hours and hours and not catch anything. How far is it from krabi to phuket?can you catch a long tail boat from krabi or is it too far to go? Thanks again

Thank you for a nice honest reply to my question, it would have been very disappointing to go out for hours and hours and not catch anything. How far is it from krabi to phuket?can you catch a long tail boat from krabi or is it too far to go? Thanks again

went last week from phuket on one of the tourity dayboats,1600 bht a person. we caught 28 skipjack tuna up to 4 kg and 1 dorado of about 3kg.this is a normal day on the cheap boats.a boat that is top notch like wahoo for instance could probably get you better quality catches but you pays yer money and......................

krabi to phuket 2 hours by pasenger ferry 3 hours minibus.sore ass by longtail!

If you really wanna catch fish go on Reel Hooker and take a 2-3 day trip to Koh Ha. There is extremely good sailfish fishing at the moment. It is not cheap but you will have a great time.

A cheaper option is day trip to Koh Racha, you may get sailfish but koh ha is better.

Don't bother with the cheaper boats, who wants to catch skipjacks? Sailfish are the only fish worth catching here, there are small wahoo, dorado, mackeral etc, but really it's the sailfish that are worth targeting. There used to be good GT popper fishing, but the Thai boats net all the baitfish, so that is not so good now.

• 2 weeks later...

you can call it a pink frog if you wish,

the fishing is great, the place is just amazing now, and last time I looked there was no farming there.

when you would like to fish real fish give it a go, I would be very supprised of someone off the street could land one of the big fish without any help. but you seem like you think you can deal with the fish at a "fish farm"

please remember to take your best light rod! screw the drag up tight as it will go because how hard could "fish farm" fish fight.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year

Bungsamran is fun, and the the fishing is non stop, you will certainly catch many big fish all day long, but it can get boring. Another type of fishing worth checking out is the Barramundi fishing at bangkok fish farms, this can be excellant fun and non stop, but not that challenging.

I look at these two types of fishing as being similar to going down the driving range. It's perfect for honing your skills ready for the biggus you may encounter out in the wild.

My fav fishing in Thailand is giant snakehead fishing, this is done in Reservoirs among stunning scenery, we fish with imitation top water frog lures, and the strikes are vicious and scary, some strikes from large snakeheads have left me shaking in fright!!!!! You can also fish for Blah Gassoop in the same waters, this is done with spoons, they are also a hard fighting fish on light tackle. If you want to do this fishing contact Jean Francois Hellias based in Bangkok, he lives and breathes snakehead fishing and is great fun to fish with.

Anyone got a boat they can recommend out of phuket, am keen on going out for a day with some friends and taking the brother in law. Also charter price for day and any contact info would be great

Go on Reel Hooker, it's about 60k for a day trip. Riviera 44, nice boat.

There are many other boats to go on and most of them are much cheaper but if you want to do it properly this is the boat to go on.

Don't bother with the fishing game thai boats, they are rubbish and you wil be catching not much more than skipjack tuna.

I havn't tried using heavy tackle for Mekong, I guess it would be the best way to land the real big ones. There are some real big fish in that pond when you land one the the big ones please post a pic so we can see it.

• 3 weeks later...