Welcome to Thailand: Where even the police practice two tier pricing, claims Farang rider

webfact

54 minutes ago, smedly said:

I was stopped in Pattaya and the cop tried the same thing, I asked him how loud was in decibels and how did he measure it, he looked at me and continued writing the ticket, when I arrived at the police station I had with me the test certificate which includes the exhaust reading, I showed this to the duty officer and he came out to the bike and asked me to start it up, I do have a big bike but it is not excessively noisy and passes the test every year for the last 13 years, the cop put a line through the ticket and signed it, I returned to the cop who was holding my licence and he almost threw the licence at me, I now carry that certificate and that cancelled signed ticket with me always, I do make an effort to keep everything legal

Sometimes you have to go for it . if you are really sure about.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Or maybe they depend on the attitude too?
I remember seeing a sign in a shop that said, "Prices in this shop vary according to the customer's attitude".

That´s a very big factor. If you just don´t think about it to much and smile, everything is going to be much cheaper.
Never ever complain! That´s going to cost you the leather imitation on your wallet.

46 minutes ago, jonclark said:

So he should just take it? 

He should be congratulated and supported for taking the time end effort to highlight inequalities that exist. Obviously the police won't like it but they are the ones making themselves look bad here. Perhaps they should take the time to reflect on their own actions. 

No he should not take it, but doing what he did only makes him a target in the future.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

That is 1 brain dead farang, posting that on the internet.

He has just made himself a Big target.

Yeah I'm sure the constabulary will distribute his likeness throughout every province with a bounty attached.

You don't half talk rubbish

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Stop complaining 1000b is the fine for loud exhaust 500b for pollution, 500b for loud sound. A friend recieved the same fine about 5 years ago in Chiang Mai he went to court and fine cut in half. The complainer makes himself a fool not knowing the fine structure

It was a stock exhaust, so no fine should be given. Would you not complain?

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

Or somebody with more balls than most of the kiss ass brigade

you want to have a good life here you are better off not trying to fight the system.  1000thb is the standard fine. would have thought the guy speaking thai could have got a 50% cash discount but i suspect he was not polite enough. i have a few cashed up makes who bought stock bikes with loud exhausts. they pay the loud bike tax on a regular basis. i am happy on my cheap scooter. kissing ass is not going to rock the boat but even then its probably better off just keeping to yourself.

2 hours ago, jaywalker said:

My wife was in an accident (Pattaya). 

Totally NOT her fault (a speeding moto in the wrong lane T-boned her truck).

I was miles away.

The cop said "you have farang name, all farangs have big money"....10,000 bt.

Wow, your wife and my wife must be friends.

When we lived here my wife was always coming home angry after fighting it out with a shopkeeper that attempted to overcharge her as they knew she was married to a farang.

54 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Yeah I'm sure the constabulary will distribute his likeness throughout every province with a bounty attached.

You don't half talk rubbish

I think you made a mistake in what you say.

It is you who are talking rubbish, better to stay below the radar live quietly not make an exhibition of yourself on social media.

Yes the police will be watching him, anyone who thinks they will not is living in cloud cuckoo land.

35 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

you want to have a good life here you are better off not trying to fight the system.  1000thb is the standard fine. would have thought the guy speaking thai could have got a 50% cash discount but i suspect he was not polite enough. i have a few cashed up makes who bought stock bikes with loud exhausts. they pay the loud bike tax on a regular basis. i am happy on my cheap scooter. kissing ass is not going to rock the boat but even then its probably better off just keeping to yourself.

actually there are hundreds of scooters around pattaya with no exhaust at all - they sound terrible and even a small engine without silencing is extremely noisy - they seem to think it is cool but it definitely isn't

I've been stopped several times, only once was a farang rip off. Notorious roadblock on the Nong Khai/Udon highway at the turn to Phen. Cop wanted green book when I had everything else, I didn't have a clue, showed him all the paper work I had and he finally showed me a copy of the page. No green book, bank still has, not paid off but yes there was a copy of that page, wife took it out, arrrrgggghhhh. Over to the payment desk expecting the usual 200 or 400 baht fine, nope 1,000 baht. I called the wife, she said let me talk to him. As his face turned red and the steam came out of his ears I figured it was off to the monkey house for me. He handed back the phone, scribbling and mumbling madly and the wife said pay him 200 baht and get out of there, now. I did, stage left post haste. All other dealings with cops have been polite and friendly. Once I even got an ice cream Popsicle from one. Had a good laugh with a young cop that was enjoying a chance to practice his American English. Nice guy, I was paying fine, I was in the wrong. He had lived in Houston, about 45 min. drive from me. He asked what I did for a living, I said retired. He said before, I said, "I was a cop", we both had a good laugh and I was on my way. I can't drive 55...lol.

Learn the language is good, use it to listen to what the Thais say about you. Once they think you might understand them they shut up.

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

It is you who are talking rubbish, better to stay below the radar live quietly not make an exhibition of yourself on social media.

Yes the police will be watching him, anyone who thinks they will not is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Exactly Colinnell, Thais as we all know hate losing face. This cop will be on the warpath next time he spots him. And not that difficult in Khon Kaen.

I used to live Pattaya that woz far bigger an busy but yet I knew most of the checkpoint police in my village area but they still stopped me sometimes for Id.

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No, they won't be watching him.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that one ought to make a habit of drawing attention to oneself but if someone gets knocked or ripped off and feels strongly enough about it, they shouldn't be afraid to pipe up and speak their minds.

I didn't see anyone getting harassed or intimidated after making public complaints on social media when the police were carrying out random stop/searches and piss-testing farangs in Bangkok.

Maybe you want to go through life being afraid of your own shadow in Thailand but we're not all like that.

2 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Special fee for forigners ? I can go along with that it happened to me

So it  should be , when ever  i have been pulled over by thai police,

they have always been polite and couteous ,  

i even have  a salute of them ,  after paying  the  loaded fine .

Welcome to LOS . 555

He is wrong, Thais are treated to a one thousand Baht fine here for illegal exhausts.

A friend of my son, a Thai lad late teens was stopped in Chiang Mai with an after market exhaust on a CBR 150, he had to pay 1500 Baht, he was then taken to the police station with the bike where the police made him remove his exhaust, where they then went and smashed to bits in front of him  with a hammer.

The problem a lot of people have is that the cops are too stupid to know what is factory and what is illegal aftermarket.

There was a good news program on Channel 7 a few weeks back where a group of younf Thai lads had brought bikes into the studio and had a bunch of cops pick out what was faulty with the bikes. They didn't have a clue! One useless cop was going to do them for not having rubber mounts on the footpegs!!!!  The bike came like that from the factory.

Farang motorcyclist rants in Isaan-Thai after facing heftier fine than locals (VIDEO)

By Coconuts Bangkok 

crop.jpg

KHON KAEN: -- A rare video of a foreigner ranting in an Isaan dialect got over five millions views overnight, after the man was faced with a THB1,000 for his motorcycle’s loud exhaust pipe in Khon Kaen province.

Facebook account Farang BaanNok (upcountry farang) posted a video of himself yesterday together with a picture of a traffic ticket. Description reads: “First day in the city district, the police took THB1,000 from me because I’m a farang. I got a driver’s license and do everything legally. Please help and share this.”

In the 30-second rant, the man said he was riding his motorcycle in Muang district of Khon Khaen when the police summoned “that Farang.” The police then proceeded to give him a ticket for a loud exhaust pipe, although the man said that he hadn’t modified it.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/28/farang-motorcyclist-rants-isaan-thai-after-facing-heftier-fine-locals-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-28

When you are outspoken and disagree wtth '' the man'' in public, for others to see, you better have a ''alligator mouth to go with a humming bird a..'' . I commend the op for his response to this policeman and how he handled it.

2 hours ago, thai3 said:

Or somebody with more balls than most of the kiss ass brigade

Wait until he finds out the penalty for having those big 'uns. And for besmirching the reputation of the popo online.

I suspect 1000 baht will seem cheap.  Or at least, doable.  

The penalty for besmirching the popo online?  100% arbitrary.

3 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I ran a red light in Udon Thani and got stopped. However my wife new the cop and I was let off with a warning. The cop mentioned that should I do it again it would be ฿1000, a special farang rate they were going to be inaugurating.

Nothing to see here, I parked for 30 seconds on a red and white gutter plainclothes police walked up in a rage and finned me 1800 baht ( to be paid at the police station), I was still in the car although I must admit the engine was turned off! :sorry::wai:

Yep, happens to me all the time. 1000 but 200 for thais. I have never paid it. Just drop the clutch and continue on if possible. I had an exotic car and stock exhaust and got harassed. I now sit there taking photos of all let by until they give up. Couple times in a hurry i have forked over 100-200. Its a joke.

What are they going o do when everything goes elec. Too quiet.

GO CATCH CRIMINALS! Thailand would be a better place if you did.

good for him...more people, thais and farang and anyone else...should post videos of police corruption/incompetence...this is the only way to change behaviors here...shame them...

then they will play the computer crimes act card. They don't like losing here.

Sent from my SM-P355 using Tapatalk

Archived