Welcome to Thailand: Where even the police practice two tier pricing, claims Farang rider

webfact

Is this really a surprise to anyone? I've seen it happen all over the world; especially in countries where the Westerner is thought to be rich. However, it happens in the West too. I was 12 years old in a car in Indiana. My step-father was driving in a group of cars along a highway. An Indiana cop car came up and motioned for my step-father to pull over.  He was cited for speeding, even though he was in a line of other cars who were not even stopped. The problem, we had Ohio license plates, the others were Indiana.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

You have a Thai wife? lol That is quite funny after all the generalized abuse you give Thai people. Does she understand science? :cheesy: 

she understands  stupid, she'd like you

4 minutes ago, kannot said:

18 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Imagine this, if you will...

Wife dropped kid off at school, trying to turn right on Threppasit Rd in Jomtien off Soi 4.

BIG-ASS hash marks painted on the road so folks know there is incoming traffic from a side road. It's maybe 7:30 AM or so.

A couple big trucks stop to let you make a right turn, as traffic is backed up anyhow.

You ease around to the right, and BANG!!!
Moto guy come HAULING ASS (in the wrong lane) & slams into the driver's door of my wife's truck, (in the wrong lane) breaks his leg, etc, etc....Just glad she was was in a truck.

He's lucky he's alive!

---------------------

You have farang name....all farangs have big money. 10,000 baht or you have big problem is what they told her.

Please tell us she didn't pay.  OMG, please tell us.

1 minute ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Temples' bells, planes,... are sometimes loud at odd hours in the morning. Are they going to be fined?

How about your neighbor's birthday party or wedding or funeral?

Last time I was Issan I swore it'd be my last. I haven't been back. Walking Street Pattaya doesn't hold a candle as far as noise to an Issan funeral.

Funeral followed by a wedding...Rather noisy to say the least.

I love my wife and in-laws, but they just want to get deaf........what kills me is it doesn't bother them to have 30 feet/10 meter tall speakers blasting 24/7 for days on end.

They must be deaf!

If not, they're trying to get that way!

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe he was trying to be a smart arse with his fluent Thai, and the coppers didn't like it.

Sometimes it pays to act daft.

Or if you have another language just use it with the occasional "Me no Engrish". They'll get bored.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

That is 1 brain dead farang, posting that on the internet.

He has just made himself a Big target.

He holds up the ticket, which has his name address, bike number, date etc .... and he asks not to be named.... life could get difficult and expensive. 

51 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I paid.
I'm not an English teacher..

10K bt made it go away.

What has being a gullible newbie  got to do with being a teacher? What went away exactly? You said it was not your wife's fault. Di you give the money directly to the policeman or to your wife?

People like you make it hard for the rest of us who have made this out home and stand up for our rights.

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That was one of the reasons my wife kept her Thai surname when we were married, to avoid exactly this sort of thing.

erm.... shall I tell you or can you work it out for yourself? 

Does she visit her cousins often?

Actually, there's long been a myth that Thais married to foreigners can't buy land. 

25 minutes ago, oyster said:

He holds up the ticket, which has his name address, bike number, date etc .... and he asks not to be named.... life could get difficult and expensive. 

You are looking at a different ticket to the one I see. 

Did he ask not to be named?

My friend originally from London and sharp as they come....when he gets pulled over for no helmet on Phuket......the cop tells him the price, usually 500 baht. He says, "I am not going to pay that. I'll give you 200 or 300." And the cop says Yes. And that is what happens....though now he wears a helmet because I pointed out his stupidity.

There's a certain type of western expat non Thai speaker that drips envy when in hearing distance of a fellow western expat that can actually hold a conversation with the locals in their adopted country. Ironically, these are usually the same types that seem to think they know everything about 'life' here, when in fact they know far less than they think. Go on fellas, do yourselves a favour and learn some Thai, you'll find that life here is a lot more rewarding if you do........

8 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I ran a red light in Udon Thani and got stopped. However my wife new the cop and I was let off with a warning. The cop mentioned that should I do it again it would be ฿1000, a special farang rate they were going to be inaugurating.

I ran a red in Sakon Nakhon, the fine was 400 baht, but the police halved it as I said if I braked I would have been tail gated, although the car behind me went through the red as well, he coped the 400 baht fine, so I don't know were the 1,000 baht fine is coming from, might have to do with the province ?

6 hours ago, gdgbb said:

You didn't see the photo with the ticket displayed?  He was issued an official ticket so why wouldn't this be above board as you are suggesting?

A little birdie told me that they have two books, one for the official receipts and another dud one for the cops pockets, tweet tweet

8 hours ago, jaywalker said:

My wife was in an accident (Pattaya). 

Totally NOT her fault (a speeding moto in the wrong lane T-boned her truck).

I was miles away.

The cop said "you have farang name, all farangs have big money"....10,000 bt.

Once more good reason not to change a Thai name to Farang name when living in Thailand.

So easy to think about it before changing the name also...

5 hours ago, elliss said:

So it  should be , when ever  i have been pulled over by thai police,

they have always been polite and couteous ,  

i even have  a salute of them ,  after paying  the  loaded fine .

Welcome to LOS . 555

I wouldn't be saluting them as they could find it offensive.

Archived