Enjoy your trip - Thai man nabbed for putting the magic in the Full Moon Party

webfact

23 hours ago, balo said:

Magic mushrooms are illegal drugs in Thailand. It's illegal , very simple. The police did what they were supposed to .  Now the teenagers are only left with alcohol . But maybe they saved a few brain cells.  

I sincerely hope your right. 

10 hours ago, Strange said:

I can check all those boxes & more, and I'm a firm believer people should be able to pick a mushroom out of a cow turd and eat it, if they are so inclined, or roll up a plant and smoke it, if they are so inclined, but I don't think I can advocate driving under the influence of it. 

Even if 7 MPH feels like 100 

Driving drunk is probably more dangerous but still. What feels safe while under the influence, probably isn't nearly as safe as clear headed and psychotropics really mess with thought process, probably more than the vision, and thats probably not a bad thing in limited doses, but in the context of piloting a car around other people, naw, probably not a good idea. 

if you've driven in Thailand, you know that about half the drivers are bad at it, to put it nicely.  

On the other end of the stick, have you read any stories of crashes caused by drivers under the influence of any illegal drug?  I haven't.   How about any news items about wife beating, while stoned by a non-alcohol drug?  Again, I haven't.  Thai authorities are essentially criminalizing being mellow and/or having colorful visions.  Indeed, that's what monks do when they're having a good meditation: so perhaps Thai cops should bust meditating monks.    Whatever they do, they won't curtail Thailand's two most harmful drugs:  Alcohol #1, and pharma drugs #2.   They involve too much money for VIP's.

On 11/29/2016 at 9:22 AM, boomerangutang said:

It might be good for youngsters to try 'shrooms at least once.  Hopefully they'll have a good trip.  Psychosomatic drugs like psilocybin can expand consciousness - and more often than not, users enjoy the experience.   Note: Many people in Thailand use another drug called alcohol, and the drunk experience is usually enjoyable.  One difference between alcohol and 'shrooms is: Alcohol often results in harmful, sometimes deadly outcomes.   Mushrooms; almost never.   I challenge anyone to name a result of a psilocybin high - where someone was beaten, or a vehicle was crashed.   You can't.

Another advantage of such drugs: it widens perspectives.  Look at what Thailand is saddled with - people with narrow perspectives:   Thailand is now saddled with its 17th self-installed junta in 80 years, who's members keep postponing elections because they enjoy the power they took by force.  That's the sort of rulers (and kow-towing populace) a country gets when its people can't think outside the box. 

time to check the definition of psychosomatic methinks.

also you seem to dismiss the possibility of a bad trip.

i used to enjoy mushrooms, but have also seen shit go horribly wrong.

they are most certainly not innocuous as far as drugs go.

I've also had bad trips on mind-bending drugs - though most of my trips have been between good and great.

Yet, all challenges have potential pitfalls:  skiing, falling in love, discussing fence lines with neighbors, toasting bread, driving to meet aunt sally, taking a hike up a steep hill, .....ad infinitum.    Should we, as a society, criminalize people who partake in activities which could result in a bad trip?   

Notice, in the OP, the guy who got caught had his field-harvested goods wrapped in newspaper.  He's doing a gig which can't be controlled and taxed.  He's outside the control of Big Pharma and the alcohol industries.  It's a similar dynamic why legalizing recreational pot was voted down in Ohio in 2012.  It wasn't because Ohioans didn't want to allow pot smoking and growing.  It was because the Republican gov wanted to monopolize the growing of the stuff. On the ballot initiative, it specified that only 10 entities could grow and distribute pot in the state, and those spots would be bid upon in an auction.   Already, very rich people were queuing up to bid on those ten spots.   Residents said 'Stuff You!' because they didn't want pot growing there to be yet another corporate-controlled substance, like alcohol and pharma. 

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I've also had bad trips on mind-bending drugs - though most of my trips have been between good and great.

Yet, all challenges have potential pitfalls:  skiing, falling in love, discussing fence lines with neighbors, toasting bread, driving to meet aunt sally, taking a hike up a steep hill, .....ad infinitum.    Should we, as a society, criminalize people who partake in activities which could result in a bad trip?   

Notice, in the OP, the guy who got caught had his field-harvested goods wrapped in newspaper.  He's doing a gig which can't be controlled and taxed.  He's outside the control of Big Pharma and the alcohol industries.  It's a similar dynamic why legalizing recreational pot was voted down in Ohio in 2012.  It wasn't because Ohioans didn't want to allow pot smoking and growing.  It was because the Republican gov wanted to monopolize the growing of the stuff. On the ballot initiative, it specified that only 10 entities could grow and distribute pot in the state, and those spots would be bid upon in an auction.   Already, very rich people were queuing up to bid on those ten spots.   Residents said 'Stuff You!' because they didn't want pot growing there to be yet another corporate-controlled substance, like alcohol and pharma. 

The thing is most trips are not 100% 'bad' or 100% 'good' and these labels of good and bad are subjective after all. For example, I have never used mushrooms at a party or to 'party' - more I see them as a kind of teacher. They allow your mind to think in different patterns from what you are used to, they force you to think and view things from different perspectives, and probably most importantly they force you to look at yourself as a person from different perspectives. This is where people can start to lose their cool on a trip, they are forced to deal with what kind of a person they are and they don't like what they see.

Psychedelics should not be just about the pretty colours or cool patterns you see on things, they should be about what you can take away from the experience and learn about yourself and life in general.

So back to my initial point of good and bad, someone may wake up the next Morning after having a somewhat torturous time investigating their own mind, but in doing so you will have grown in many aspects, so one person may suggest that it was a bad or negative experience, and another person may suggest that things have been learned about maybe how you treat those closest to you, or your lifestyle in someway, and then you will go ahead and correct that in your future. 

This is another part of the experience that people who have never tried them do not understand. Also they think that you do not need such experiences to evolve and become a better person, true you can, but allowing your brain to think in totally different ways is a sure and quick method to seeing yourself in the eyes of everyone else. Also it is why people such as Steve Jobs were able to come up with such amazingly creative and cutting edge ideas. Sure he must have had the potential there in the first place, but thinking in different ways unlocked that. 

I am amazed as to how many criminals boast sorry post here on Thai Visa.

Fact - drugs that are the subject of this topic are illegal. (There is no 'almost or partially' illegal.)

Fact - alcohol is legal.

Get over it, grow up and stop trying to convince others to break the law.

OK - rant over. I will disappear again for a while  :sleep:

I had mushroom shakes at the first full moon parties in Haad Rin beach in the late 80's.

No nightclubs back then but great fun. Only about 100 people max during the party and everyone wasted.

Things were much better and a better standard of hippie before the internet.

On 12/1/2016 at 10:15 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Fact - drugs that are the subject of this topic are illegal. (There is no 'almost or partially' illegal.)

Fact - alcohol is legal. Get over it, grow up and stop trying to convince others to break the law.

Yes, I break the law sometimes.  About half a dozen times, I've walked over the Thai border, to Burma and back, without any fuss with officials or passports or bureaucracy.  I tried growing hemp in Thailand.  Either of those two things could get me thrown in a Thai prison and threatened with a million baht fine.  Tropicalevo, you sound like a prim & proper law-abider who not only follows the letter of every law, but you would report anyone you found breaking it.      :sleep:

On 12/1/2016 at 10:20 PM, Johnniey said:

I had mushroom shakes at the first full moon parties in Haad Rin beach in the late 80's.

No nightclubs back then but great fun. Only about 100 people max during the party and everyone wasted.

Things were much better and a better standard of hippie before the internet.

I'm behind most of your post, except the closing sentence.  Watch that you don't fall into the rut of thinking your generation's teenage shenanigans were superior to current teenage shenanigans.  That's what a lot of oldies devolve to; thinking today's youngsters are more screwed up than earlier youngsters.  Here's a hint:  there's scant difference.  

The same dynamic applies to military men and popular music.  Oldsters  will naturally think soldiers were tougher in their day and/or their favorite pop songs from their youth are superior to current pop songs.  It's in the eye of the beholder.   Today's late teens, when they get old and gray, will have the same uppity attitudes towards younger generations.  They'll probably be shouting out their front doors in 2041, "Hey kids, don't walk on my lawn!"  

Psylocybin found to be therapeutic for helping cancer victims dispel anxiety. . . . . . . according to studies, conducted at New York University and Johns Hopkins and reported this week in the Journal of Psychopharmacology. 

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/12/03/504136736/how-a-psychedelic-drug-helps-cancer-patients-overcome-anxiety

On December 1, 2559 BE at 10:15 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Fact - alcohol is legal.

Get over it, grow up and stop trying to convince others to break the law.

Actually when I consumed my mushrooms, they were still legal in the UK under a loophole law that stated if they were wet and not dried then they were totally legal, as well as when they were legal in Amsterdam and the truffles still are. So before you start spouting your ignorant BS, do your research.

You have to rely on the law to tell you what you can and cannot put into your body? Lets just take this from a totally objective view here for a moment shall we. On the one hand you have a legal substance that kills at least 40,000 people a year in the UK, it causes millions and millions of pounds a year through policing and criminal damage, it causes mouth, colon, stomach and rectum cancer, and it kills braincells, as well as being immensely addictive. 
On the other hand a substance that has no reports of being fatal ever directly, a substance that is not addictive, a substance that has no medical side effects whatsoever, and a substance that can help you learn a few things about life and yourself, open your mind and scientifically proven to encourage brain cell growth. Now which substance logically speaking would be the better choice? 

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Psylocybin found to be therapeutic for helping cancer victims dispel anxiety. . . . . . . according to studies, conducted at New York University and Johns Hopkins and reported this week in the Journal of Psychopharmacology. 

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/12/03/504136736/how-a-psychedelic-drug-helps-cancer-patients-overcome-anxiety

And the founder of AA experimented with LSD as a cure for alcoholism. 

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Yes, I break the law sometimes.  About half a dozen times, I've walked over the Thai border, to Burma and back, without any fuss with officials or passports or bureaucracy.  I tried growing hemp in Thailand.  Either of those two things could get me thrown in a Thai prison and threatened with a million baht fine.  Tropicalevo, you sound like a prim & proper law-abider who not only follows the letter of every law, but you would report anyone you found breaking it.      :sleep:

I'm behind most of your post, except the closing sentence.  Watch that you don't fall into the rut of thinking your generation's teenage shenanigans were superior to current teenage shenanigans.  That's what a lot of oldies devolve to; thinking today's youngsters are more screwed up than earlier youngsters.  Here's a hint:  there's scant difference.  

The same dynamic applies to military men and popular music.  Oldsters  will naturally think soldiers were tougher in their day and/or their favorite pop songs from their youth are superior to current pop songs.  It's in the eye of the beholder.   Today's late teens, when they get old and gray, will have the same uppity attitudes towards younger generations.  They'll probably be shouting out their front doors in 2041, "Hey kids, don't walk on my lawn!"  

I was kinda joking. They were more adventurous though. Today it's too easy with Travelwhatever.

Your post reminds me of the following video.

On 11/29/2016 at 8:22 AM, boomerangutang said:

It might be good for youngsters to try 'shrooms at least once.  Hopefully they'll have a good trip.  Psychosomatic drugs like psilocybin can expand consciousness - and more often than not, users enjoy the experience.   Note: Many people in Thailand use another drug called alcohol, and the drunk experience is usually enjoyable.  One difference between alcohol and 'shrooms is: Alcohol often results in harmful, sometimes deadly outcomes.   Mushrooms; almost never.   I challenge anyone to name a result of a psilocybin high - where someone was beaten, or a vehicle was crashed.   You can't.

Another advantage of such drugs: it widens perspectives.  Look at what Thailand is saddled with - people with narrow perspectives:   Thailand is now saddled with its 17th self-installed junta in 80 years, who's members keep postponing elections because they enjoy the power they took by force.  That's the sort of rulers (and kow-towing populace) a country gets when its people can't think outside the box. 

On 11/29/2016 at 8:32 AM, connda said:

I've never understood the need for a nanny state to dictate what you can and can't put into your own body, but then, there is the anarcho-libertarian in me oozing out.  Expand your mind and you're a danger to society; dumb yourself with Kaow Laow until you're in a stupor it's 'no problem.'  Strange world imho.

On 11/29/2016 at 3:23 PM, JustNo said:

And not to mention these promising findings

http://www.naturalnews.com/041393_psilocybin_psychological_disorders_magic_mushrooms.html

I remember seeing a documentary about a family man who suffered my extreme cluster headaches, to the point where even direct intake of oxygen from a tank did not relieve the pain. He and his family tried many things and he was contemplating putting a bullet into his head and end it all. They stumbled across magic mushrooms being used and now he takes them once every 6 weeks and never has had a single cluster headache since. 

Again, we suffer as a species because of old stigma, corruption, disinformation and greed. Cannabis, Kratom and Mushrooms all have great medicinal qualities, and we do not even know of the full potential of these plants / fungi simply because they are illegal. 

Studies show psilocybin can cure depression

Treating depression with psychedics

8 hours ago, retoohs said:

thought they were JustNo. The only ones we get locally where I live are liberty caps which are tiny and as the name suggests have a cap in the shape of a liberty bell (a nipple shaped cap to most of us).

Lib Caps are widely found around the world, the UK being one place. I have found Pan Cyans in Asia a fair amount of times (blue meanies) and they are small but they have a lot of knowledge stored in their small interiors lol

On 11/29/2016 at 8:16 AM, JustNo said:

Actually psilocybin has never been proven to kill off brain cells, rather it as been shown to encourage the growth of brain cells in mice
http://reset.me/study/study-psilocybin-mushrooms-stimulate-growth-of-new-brain-cells/

The alcohol will of course kill brain cells 

The Study did not show 'growth of brain cells'

It says that:

"neurogenesis was not decreased, but rather tended toward an increase."

Somewhat different.

It also does not mention the number of subjects.

On 11/29/2016 at 4:24 PM, TSF said:

True. There used to be frequent deaths at Samui after people have mushroom drinks & omelettes then went off into the night on motorcycles and flying into coconut trees. Also read there are some pretty bad cases of young people being taken to the hospital at Koh Phangan after having similar accidents and falling off rocks after having mushrooms.

Truth is stranger than fiction. May be i have posted this before.

2012, driving back up west coast Koh Phangan. We were in bungalows north of the ferry. I had heard stories of that road into the head of the island and being a light sleeper woke at three and figured I would scout it out without traffic. I did not know the island but had a new car and would go slow. Anyhow had a look around, the found the Haad Rin road which scared me shitless went back north.  

Along the way, was waved down by two big strapping  quarterback types in the middle of the road, a bit hysterical but basically in tact. Then saw the first girl with a massive gash on her head lying on ground. Turned out, the second girl was down a steep embankment. She could not make it up nor had their newly met fetched at that point. Maybe they did not have when i drove up.  Don't know.

Managed to get down and haul her up minus two front incisors and the square nose et al. Do not recall helmets any of them. Put both girls into the pick up for the hospital,  and this the part that kills me;  one of the big guys wants me to stay and help fetch the rented motorcycles! They did not come with the girls but stay with the bikes. 

Turns out one of the girls was the next fortnight to commence a new job as a prosecutor in Tennessee. It was a fling and met these boys that night went riding post party up from Haadrin to their better hospice. Did not make it.

I was on the island to see my nephew who was on a footy trip. Correct. Ominous. And needless to say they were not flying colors much better, just unhurt. All still in bed at two pm next day and  two rentals themselves in 'negotiation'. They paid. 

Archived