Police threaten to charge ‘Farang BaanNok’ for posting rant, so he apologizes

webfact

Police threaten to charge ‘Farang BaanNok’ for posting rant, so he apologizes

By Coconuts Bangkok

screen_shot_2016-11-29_at_3.19.57_pm.png

KHON KAEN: -- Social media personality “Farang BaanNok” apologized yesterday following a police report that threatened to charge him with the Computer Crime Act for posting a rant video about the traffic ticket he got.

Following the foreigner’s viral video rant in Isaan dialect, Pol.Col. Nopadol Petchsut, the superintendent of Khon Kaen police, spoke up. He said that the motorcyclist in question was found riding a motorcycle with a loud exhaust pipe and no license plate. The officer issued him a ticket for both offenses to which the motorcyclist confessed.

Later, the officer checked with a motorcycle shop and found that the motorcycle model that the foreign man owns is sold with an exhaust pipe different from the loud one that got him in trouble. The motorcycle in question had a special exhaust pipe that was louder than 95 decibels, so the officer said he is guilty.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/29/police-threaten-charge-farang-baannok-posting-rant-so-he-apologizes

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-29

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jabis said:

" The motorcycle in question had a special exhaust pipe..." was that special exhaust pipe from a factory checklist when purchasing the motocy, or an aftermarket one, there lies the question still.

Reading the article it was found to be non standard which he says himself as well.

Quote "

Following the report, Farang BaanNok released an apology video.

"I feel bad and I'd like to apologize to the police,” he said in his latest video.

“If you’re thinking about enhancing your exhaust pipe, don't do it. It disturbs other people."

Most of us living here adjust to things, allow for the following of formal and informal rules and laws.  It's just the way it is. But this guy thought he was special.  He is a social media star!  His entire rant was the equivalent of "Don't you know who I am!"  Well, yes, they do. And they don't care. Score one for the cops in my book.

Was he ranting louder than the exhust,he has only made himself a target

for future problems,long ago i learnt,go with the flow ,keep your head down,

and you should get along with everyone and have no problems.

regards worgeordie

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

The motorcycle in question had a special exhaust pipe that was louder than 95 decibels, so the officer said he is guilty.

8 Years and I have never been stopped and had my motorcycle checked for decibels and I have had some loud ones. 

Anyone had that done? 

This all sounds like a bunch of BS to me, and police intimidation won. The infuriating thing is allowing 10,000 'modified' bikes to roll past but pick out whitey in Isaan and hoe slap him for 1000 baht. 

14 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Reading the article it was found to be non standard which he says himself as well.

Quote "

Following the report, Farang BaanNok released an apology video.

"I feel bad and I'd like to apologize to the police,” he said in his latest video.

“If you’re thinking about enhancing your exhaust pipe, don't do it. It disturbs other people."

Missed that part totally - I stand corrected - aftermarket toys are to be avoided :)

17 minutes ago, baboon said:

Deport him? Hardly proportionate.

Whilst I agree. It's supposed to be good guys in bad guys out. The Guy lied got caught out and apologised so in my book he got fined paid his due's and apologised. But if you follow the TV trend he should be hung drawn and quartered  fed to the pigs then deported?

12 minutes ago, jabis said:

" The motorcycle in question had a special exhaust pipe..." was that special exhaust pipe from a factory checklist when purchasing the motocy, or an aftermarket one, there lies the question still.

There are limits on the noise pollution that a motor cycle are aloud to make and anything that is lauder than that is illegal, aftermarket or something that you can order on the factory checklist doesn't matter as its the amount of dB your motorcycle produce!

1 minute ago, Strange said:

8 Years and I have never been stopped and had my motorcycle checked for decibels and I have had some loud ones. 

Anyone had that done? 

This all sounds like a bunch of BS to me, and police intimidation won. The infuriating thing is allowing 10,000 'modified' bikes to roll past but pick out whitey in Isaan and hoe slap him for 1000 baht. 

They have had 2 drives so far this year where they checked: noise, lights, brakes and so on here in the ampoe. They even had the students start their motorcycles in the college parking lot with about 30 being deemed illegal and had to be restored to be closer to original and 4 even deemed TOO illegal/broken (one had a cracked frame with only 2 cm weld holding the front and back together) to get back on the road so they were confiscated!

And about the ticket I have heard that they have some strange rules here in Thailand...

If the driver don't use seat belt = 1,000 Baht

If you as a passenger don't use seat belt = 1,000 Baht

If the driver use seat belt but not the passenger = 2,000 Baht as the driver should tell the passenger to use seat belt and and the same goes the other way around!

6 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

You are ALWAYS wrong if you are a farang. Doesn't this man KNOW that??? :sleep:

He is fluent in Thai ,  but he lacks common sense .

That said Deport  him .

We dont want  farangs speaking fluent Thai , here . 555

10 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

As people on here say 'you must learn the language, it is ever so helpful'.

Didn't help this tit much.

And before it's all over, it might make his stay a lot shorter than he would have wanted. Sometimes it's better not to understand. Or be understood.  Never a good idea to try and one up the cops in any language.

It's bad enough that this guy appears to be a blatant liar, based on the discrepancy between his original complaints and the latest version where he appears to admit having used a modified exhaust pipe.

But what's worse is, this kind of thing makes it even harder for any of us in the future who dare to protest against what might be legitimate/real police misconduct and abuses.

After market exhaust fines are standard practice. When I ride I keep always that amount cash for that fine (300-500 bath). Last year I paid it 3 times and this ear only once so far. I'm very okay with this fine. As per my whole setup fine in my country of origin would be multiple. Great country for motorcyclists.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Had the same thing happen to me 10 or so years ago. My bike didn't have a "tabien" and I'd put on loud pipes. They caught me at a red light and impounded my bike and fined me. I knew it was my fault, so I didn't make a fuss. That when they first started enforcing vehicle documentation more rigorously. Before that you could get away with driving anything as long as you had a helmet (or 100 baht).

Archived