Chinese female tourist drowns on Koh Samet while another is saved

Jonathan Fairfield

Chinese female tourist drowns on Koh Samet while another is saved

dn.png

Image: Daily News

A 63 year old Chinese woman drown when out for a swim on White Sand Beach in Koh Samet yesterday.

While another Chinese woman was saved by a member of the public.

Medic Suthi Sangsuwan who works for a foundation on the holiday island said that both women had gone out together for a swim in front of White Sand Resort.

They were holding onto buoys used to stop speedboats encroaching in swimming areas.

They worked their way out further and further but when they were out of their depth they panicked.

A member of the public was on the scene to try to help both women but was only able to save one.

The other, 63 year old Yeng Joo Ying was given CPR on the beach but was pronounced dead in hospital.

Relatives of the dead tourist are being contacted as police investigate.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-29

I don't think they could swim.

From the usual patchy reporting, it seems they went out holding onto lines that are strung between the buoys, it is easy for these to dip under human weight pushing down on them, even in water, so as non-swimmers, or doggy-paddle swimmers, they'd start to panic then, rather than just float, let the line return to the surface, and then gently use the line to retreat to safety. 

Tragic.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my favourite spot on Samet. The south end of Ao Pai. I have stayed there many times. But last April I spent a very anxious 5 days  there having to closely watch my Thai lady's 2 boys, 11 and 12, who can just about swim, enjoying playing in the big waves. Unusually the rough sea lasted for all 5 days of our stay and more worrying was that there was a strong rip current/undertow, which I dont previously recall,  pulling you out especially near that rope line with buoys on it. The problem was there were many young western tourists who were strong swimmers like me who were happily and safely drifting out further and further out of their depth (Safe because the buoyed area does surround the area completely so if pulled out too far by the current u can grab the rope and pull yourself back in) and the kids were unconsciously following them out until I called them back in. Our boys were with many kids having fun apparently safely hanging on to that rope as the big swells rolled in, but the oldest got a shock when a big breaking wave knocked him off the rope and he found himself out of his depth. He recovered but I was close by if he needed help. I think this taught them a lesson and they were more cautious after that.

There was just a small barely noticeable red flag flying at the far end of the cove but no warning notices or any resort staff or management, who are virtually on the beach, warning their guests or showing any apparent interest or concern at what was going on. My missus who often chats to staff was later quietly told by one staff member that someone had drowned there just the week before! And later during our stay another staff member told her that another  one had drowned while night swimming with a friend sometime during the previous month!

Be warned!

Archived