Phuket traffic fines in clear view

webfact

Phuket traffic fines in clear view

The Phuket News

1480475909_1-org.jpg

A foreign man reacts while receiving a ticket for a moving violation in Phuket earlier this year. How much he had to pay should be public knowledge. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: -- Have you ever been stopped by traffic police for a moving violation and not known what the fine was? Read on to find out what the fines really are, and will police in Phuket start posting the amounts in English at police stations across the island.

QUESTION

I recently saw on a website a photo from a police station in Pattaya that listed in Thai and English how much all the major traffic fines cost. Are the fines the same in Phuket? Do police stations in Phuket also have these signs posted so people know how much the fines actually are?

– Dasha, Moscow

ANSWER

The traffic law is the same throughout the country, so all fines should be the same amount no matter where you are in the Kingdom.

The penalties for the most common violations are:

No license plate – B400

Running a red light – B300

Reckless driving – B400

Illegal U-turn – B400

Blocking traffic – B200

Operating an illegal vehicle – B1,000

Parking in a non-parking area – B200

No vehicle insurance – B600

Driving against the flow of traffic – B200

No helmet (Passenger & Driver) – B200

No driver’s license – B400

No owner’s registration – B400

Overdue vehicle tax – B400

Using a vehicle which makes noise louder than the prescribed limit – B1,000

Motorists should also be aware that much harsher penalties [read more...]

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-traffic-fines-in-clear-view-60064.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-30

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The penalties for drunk driving are great, my Thai friend was fined 50,000 Baht and lost his drivers license as he crashed his own car in to a tree on his own land as he was driving to his house from the rice field after an evening of drinking...

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

He actually should have been fined 1400 THB, 400 for the missing license plate if he didn't have the purchase papers with him. He lied about his bike's exhaust so has to suck it up now. Idiot.

But to come back on topic: it's a very welcome idea to post the official fines in english at the police station so they can not overcharge. Now what's missing is more traffic law enforcement, especially all those black smoke trucks and drivers going into wrong directions and over red lights. You know, the really important stuff...

I was given a 1,000 baht fine for turning right on a Red Light, which wasn't red at all, what he got me on was a technicality, there was no red arrow pointing right, but there was only a green "Arrow" pointing straight ahead, had it been just a green light and not an arrow I would have been okay.

However after going back to the intersection and standing there with him watching the lights go through the cycle and showing him that I never actually ran a red light, he agreed to "Reduce" the fine to 300 baht, the actual fine for running a Red light.

However when I went to the police station in Soi 9 to pay it, the police woman behind the counter wouldn't accept the changed amount and insisted on me paying the original 1,000 baht and at one stage actually screwed up the ticket and threw it at me after I pointed out the correct fine for running a red light, which I actually hadn't done, was 300 baht, lovely woman she was, I gave in and paid the 1,000

12 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

I was given a 1,000 baht fine for turning right on a Red Light, which wasn't red at all, what he got me on was a technicality, there was no red arrow pointing right, but there was only a green "Arrow" pointing straight ahead, had it been just a green light and not an arrow I would have been okay.

However after going back to the intersection and standing there with him watching the lights go through the cycle and showing him that I never actually ran a red light, he agreed to "Reduce" the fine to 300 baht, the actual fine for running a Red light.

However when I went to the police station in Soi 9 to pay it, the police woman behind the counter wouldn't accept the changed amount and insisted on me paying the original 1,000 baht and at one stage actually screwed up the ticket and threw it at me after I pointed out the correct fine for running a red light, which I actually hadn't done, was 300 baht, lovely woman she was, I gave in and paid the 1,000

Yes that is the choice you have come around to her way of thinking. 

Wheres the fine for modifications to vehicles?

How many coppers can test the dbs? They never can!.

I have a db tester on my phone. Not accurate but something and they have there well educated know it all brains to see whats what...

Speaking of dumb.... Loud exhaust fine is more expensive than reckless driving fines. Thats the genius mind set at work. Fines might be the same for falang but thais drive backwards..... Still seems to be not quite right...

An other funny thing.

It says that for drunk driving over the limit you can get a fine of 5000thb up to 20000thb....so the cop will ask for 20000thb to avoid going to the court....i payed only 3500thb (at the court)! how does it works lol ?!

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

He actually should have been fined 1400 THB, 400 for the missing license plate if he didn't have the purchase papers with him. He lied about his bike's exhaust so has to suck it up now. Idiot.

But to come back on topic: it's a very welcome idea to post the official fines in english at the police station so they can not overcharge. Now what's missing is more traffic law enforcement, especially all those black smoke trucks and drivers going into wrong directions and over red lights. You know, the really important stuff...

...and still no demerit points, which might keep some idiots of the road if they repeat offend.

Here in QLD, Australia, going against a red turn right arrow cost a friend of mine $343.00.  (fines are indexed to cost of living).  He also lost a few demerits.  Lose 9 in 3 years, and you're back on the buses.   

4 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

The penalties for drunk driving are great, my Thai friend was fined 50,000 Baht and lost his drivers license as he crashed his own car in to a tree on his own land as he was driving to his house from the rice field after an evening of drinking...

So who dobbed him in,the hospital?

I parked my car, facing the wrong way yesterday, because the traffic was triple parking, in the direction I was going.

I should have done a u turn... I knew it then, but it was the only actual parking spot for god knows how far... so I zipped into it.

all the triple parkers had left before I returned, some of the double parkers had left... but I could not leave, as my wheel got chained.... 500 bt fine in Phuket town.... 

the illegal parkers, right there opposite me, didn't even get a second look from the cop.... and I saw no reward in pointing this out

but as i said... I knew it was wrong, just a safer option than triple parking.... so being a risk v rewards type of guy, I happily paid, whilst noting no damage to my car.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

So who dobbed him in,the hospital?

YEA... they had to send ambulance and rescue workers (they cut the roof) to get him out of the car and then he stayed 4 weeks in the hospital... the judge thought that 4 weeks in hospital was enough punishment so he didn't send him to jail!

These fines re ridiculously low. No wonder the roads are so dangerous here.

Even if you apply a factor of 5 to take into account the difference of cost of life and revenue, those are still between 3 and 20 times cheaper than what you'd be fined in the EU (with the addition of losing points on your license).

For example Running a red light is about 100EUR to 160EUR over there. Here it's a mere 300THB.

The worst is probably the 400THB for driving without a license. It's crazy. In most of Europe the fine is often in thousands of Euros.

Meanwhile, the fine for a loud vehicle is 5 times the one for riding with no helmet. Kind of telling of the priorities.

3 minutes ago, krobert6 said:

Outsource the stops and fines and see real results.

Let the BIB Do the real police work :/

Its a great idea.... but in reality, just moving the corruption sideways, and making it easier on the BIB, who will have a more defined target to gather their tea money from, in larger and easier to collect sums.

endemic corruption is endemic corruption. 

As foreigners we are targeted the whole time.  its always been like this, always will be.  Either get used to it, or leave, cause it wont change.

They normally have the check points at the same place, and at the same time of day, so normally quite easy to dodge.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

...and still no demerit points, which might keep some idiots of the road if they repeat offend.

Here in QLD, Australia, going against a red turn right arrow cost a friend of mine $343.00.  (fines are indexed to cost of living).  He also lost a few demerits.  Lose 9 in 3 years, and you're back on the buses.   

What planet are you from, you don't lose demerit points you gain them, accumulate 12 and you lose your license, 3 years after accumulating them you lose them. fines are also not indexed to cost of living anywhere in Australia, they are set by the states.

Archived