Phuket traffic fines in clear view

webfact

Non issue for me, I just smile and pay, usually 200 baht for anything.  I am not a citizen here and don't feel like I should be arguing with a cop even when I know he is wrong. Lets see, a $100 ticket in the US = 17  200 baht tickets here.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, luis888 said:

In April last year I paid 400 baht for doing a left turn when red  (just like most people do) in Pattaya, so then the fine is not set.  Maybe the farang fine is not fixed.

These fines are old and obsolete. I think these are the cops pay offs. There are new fines in place for a long time already. Can't provide a link but I think Google knows. No helm is Baht 500- for 1 rider, 2x 500- if both are riders with no helm. Bht 400- sounds about right as pay off. On the Bangkok Expresway all fines are Baht 1000- minimal. Also, all Thailand, no seatbelt Bht 1000-, driving over the yellow dubble markings in center of road Baht 1000-. Has been so for ages.

On 30/11/2559 at 10:43 AM, Kasset Tak said:

The penalties for drunk driving are great, my Thai friend was fined 50,000 Baht and lost his drivers license as he crashed his own car in to a tree on his own land as he was driving to his house from the rice field after an evening of drinking...

I think they fined your friend big money; because they couldn't believe he reported it to the police, himself.

Thought he was crazy , and took advantage of him.

On 11/30/2016 at 6:14 PM, stevenl said:

You may think so, others will disagree, often based on real experience.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Trust me I've had real experiences as I have been driving a car and motorcycle in Thailand for over 8 years.  Those fines posted on TV are for farangs, now they should post the one for Thai people.  A prime example, in my wife's village they had a road block one day and they gave a ticket to a Thai driver, so I asked him how much for the fine and why?  He told me 50 Bahts for not having any papers.  Do you really think that if it would have been a farang the fine would have been the same?  Think again, and if you want more examples, I have a few more.  And that's a real experience .

Trust me I've had real experiences as I have been driving a car and motorcycle in Thailand for over 8 years.  Those fines posted on TV are for farangs, now they should post the one for Thai people.  A prime example, in my wife's village they had a road block one day and they gave a ticket to a Thai driver, so I asked him how much for the fine and why?  He told me 50 Bahts for not having any papers.  Do you really think that if it would have been a farang the fine would have been the same?  Think again, and if you want more examples, I have a few more.  And that's a real experience .

And I have real experience you're incorrect.

On 11/30/2016 at 7:38 PM, louse1953 said:

Don't know if you noticed but you are not in the EU.If you want to equate it correctly you work it on average wage of each country.100 EUR would be just over a days pay in Germany,so Thailand has got it right.You lose points here too.

Don't know if you noticed but I've adressed that point in the second sentence of my post.

Let's take your example using median household income:

• Thailand: $7029
  • Germany: $33,333

So you get a ratio of about 4.7

Crossing a red light is punished by a fine of 90EUR in Germany. That's about 3500THB, more than 10 times the amount in Thailand, and still 2 times more expensive if you take into account the differences in revenue.

More interestingly, in Germany, driving without a license is punished by a fine proportional to your monthly wage: between 1/3 and 2/3 of your monthly salary (up to the judge). In Thailand, the fine is fixed, 400THB. So unless you're suggesting people have monthly salaries of 600 to 1200THB, you understand why I think this fine is ridiculously low in Thailand.

Driving without a license is in my opinion an extremely serious offense. 400THB does not reflect the gravity of the situation.

About the points, my bad. I forgot that they added that a couple years ago. I have yet to see people losing those though.

How can you say that I am incorrect, were you there? I was, no you know what to do or you want me to spell it out for you?

Just look back at your original post I reacted to. And I am out of here, no point in this discussion about a principle that now has turned into a personal issue for you.

On 30/11/2016 at 7:31 PM, masuk said:

...and still no demerit points, which might keep some idiots of the road if they repeat offend.

Here in QLD, Australia, going against a red turn right arrow cost a friend of mine $343.00.  (fines are indexed to cost of living).  He also lost a few demerits.  Lose 9 in 3 years, and you're back on the buses.   

That's why I love living here, how much is that officer, 400 baht, thank you and have a nice day 555, fair is fair 555

On 30/11/2016 at 11:36 PM, Beachcomber said:

Really ?  Are police allowed to trespass on private property without cause or warrant?

:shock1:

I would have challenged the fine, driving on your own property is not a public road, bit like walking around naked in your home, can't touch you, that is unless your waving to your neighbour in full view of your hard on 555 

12 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

I have been fine 800 Bahts for running a red light in Khon Kaen this March and my wife ran one 2 years ago in Nakhon Phanom, 300 Bahts, go figure.  2 standards. 

I carry a list of the fines in my glove box with the car book since moving here a year ago, haven't had to challenge anyone yet, the 2 fines over the 10 years that I have been coming here prior to moving here have been 400 baht or below, not counting the 200 baht cash ones that is, 555

On 11/30/2016 at 7:41 PM, sandemara said:

Kasset, how could this be? Traffic offences - to be an offence - have to occur on a public roadway.  You can drive around all day on your own property committing all sorts of dangerous driving acts and be answerable to no-one (unless, of course, death or injury to another person results).

Maybe the rice field was on another property?

On 11/30/2016 at 2:45 PM, Pungdo said:

I was given a 1,000 baht fine for turning right on a Red Light, which wasn't red at all, what he got me on was a technicality, there was no red arrow pointing right, but there was only a green "Arrow" pointing straight ahead, had it been just a green light and not an arrow I would have been okay.

However after going back to the intersection and standing there with him watching the lights go through the cycle and showing him that I never actually ran a red light, he agreed to "Reduce" the fine to 300 baht, the actual fine for running a Red light.

However when I went to the police station in Soi 9 to pay it, the police woman behind the counter wouldn't accept the changed amount and insisted on me paying the original 1,000 baht and at one stage actually screwed up the ticket and threw it at me after I pointed out the correct fine for running a red light, which I actually hadn't done, was 300 baht, lovely woman she was, I gave in and paid the 1,000

You should have demanded to talk to her superior.

On 11/30/2016 at 5:30 PM, Dan5 said:

Your his friend and you like it that he got an excessive fine of 50,000 Baht and he didn't even hurt anyone or damage any property than his own?????

I would be glad to hear of anybody, including friends, getting fined 50.000 Baht, for drunk driving, even if no one was hurt. That should be following a few months in the monkey house.That was this time, what about the next time?

• 3 weeks later...

Cherng Talay police station in Phuket doesn't display any penalties in Thai or English. They laughed when we asked. 

The traffic police showed us a set of typewritten photocopied sheets listing penalties. 

#30 Obstructing the traffic is 400 to 1,000 Baht. Having read this article, and just been fined 500 Baht for parking a scooter behind other scooters outside the solid white line on the road, we went to check, as the article says 200 Baht.

After some friendly discussion, and hearing that a local whom the officer had picked up for obstructing the traffic had jumped on his scooter and driven off penalty-free, the fine was reduced to 300 Baht. 

As to why that should be, I don't know but my Thai wife, whose scooter it is, spoke to them and they obliged. 

I haven't been able to find any list of penalties on the Thai Police's website but it would be helpful if anyone has the link to post it. 

Archived