Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

14 hours ago, jackcorbett said:

I'm glad I didn't wait until  the AeroX became available.  When I first heard it would be coming out soon, I nearly canceled my plans to buy the NMax due to thoughts that the AeroX would be a much better bike and that it would make the Nmax obsolete. Now that I have bought the Nmax, I really can't fault it.  Also for me, the small fuel tank of the AeroX at just 4.6 liters is far inferior to the Nmax's 6.6 liters.  I don't like having to fuel up all the time, and if I am on a trip, having the extra two liters of fuel capacity can give me up to 100 km more range.  My new Nmax offers terrific handling, around 30 percent more power than my Elegance had, and it's very stable.  The 13 inch tires are not an issue at all.    I cannot think of a better all around bike to own than the Nmax.  And the dual disk brakes coupled with ABS can be a real life saver.  I love it. 

I was really impressed with the Nmax ABS system.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at one today, love the styling, seating position was ok for me at 5',10" but could do with being a little bit bigger.

Did not order because they were asking 71,900 for the R version and 81,500 for the ABS version, will take a look at a bigger Yamaha dealership on Samui to see if they will do a better price.

3 hours ago, Bloke said:

Was surprised to see that all versions have a rear drum brake whereas the NMax has discs both ends.  This is a deal breaker for me which is a pity because I like everything else about the bike.

... How stupid is that !! especially with the ABS models.... how much would a caliper and steel disk cost ....one thing that i hate about Nuoveo is the back brake which is always squeaking ....ive tried new pads, sanding the inner shoes and they always manage to annoy the crap out of me :(

23 hours ago, Bloke said:

Got my first look at an Aerox today.

Was surprised to see that all versions have a rear drum brake whereas the NMax has discs both ends.  This is a deal breaker for me which is a pity because I like everything else about the bike.

I will wait to see how Honda respond as the PCX must be due a major update.

interesting, would this mean ABS only works on the front (disc) brake? Maybe done to save costs on the ABS version? as a full 2 wheel system would be more complex and more expensive.

23 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

interesting, would this mean ABS only works on the front (disc) brake? Maybe done to save costs on the ABS version? as a full 2 wheel system would be more complex and more expensive.

Yes, ABS on front brake only.  As I said, the puzzling thing is that the NMax has 2 discs with ABS.  The Aerox uses a similar engine/transmission unit so costly modifications would have been necessary to retro fit a drum.  Maybe they are leaving room for a mid-life upgrade in a couple of years.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2016 at 1:37 PM, freedomnow said:

Finally, got to test AeroX for size...more cramped seating position than NMAX and if you are taller, see if your knee does not hit the left side glove box if you move your legs from a 'V' to ' I I ".

Also only 1 foot position vs the flat or incline on NMAX and PCX.

Only 2 design issues I found on a quick once over. Even a Scoopy/Click have more leg space.

I'll pass !

Speedometer-digital-Yamaha-Aerox-155-or-NVX-630x355.jpeg

Went and checked the aerox out and I love the styling and looks and the dash, I have to agree that the riding position is cramped compared to my nmax and both my knees hit rhe bodywork I'm 6.1.

Also the handlebars are noticeable narrower than the nmax.

i want to have a test ride or rent one for a day before I make my mind up.

Anyone know of a hire company in Pattaya who stocks these? Or a dealer who do test rides?

8 hours ago, Bealo said:

Went and checked the aerox out and I love the styling and looks and the dash, I have to agree that the riding position is cramped compared to my nmax and both my knees hit rhe bodywork I'm 6.1.

Also the handlebars are noticeable narrower than the nmax.

i want to have a test ride or rent one for a day before I make my mind up.

Anyone know of a hire company in Pattaya who stocks these? Or a dealer who do test rides?

GREAT ! I thought it was just me with those details....yep, boy racer crouch style kind of... they have ballsed it up for various sizes of riders to fit into..I can even fit in a zoomer X easier once the handlbar is tilted forward a bit.

I'd never give up and NMAX for Aerox after that 24-hour rental I had....great machine...not the best looker, but it is all function and comfort.

Edited by freedomnow

Sat on one of these at the weekend, very impressed, plenty of leg room if you sit on it correctly and I am 5 11, Will buy one once I have sold my Honda CRF250L, ABS on front is ok by me, never use the rear brake unless I want to slide round the corner, so just perfect as far as I am concerned, and the black and lemon type R will do me. 67000 on the road.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Oh boy, another fully automatic bike with no foot brake.. :coffee1:

Yes, very handy for city riding.

Done over 15k km on my pcx150, trouble free km's that is, use it almost every day, city only.

I was thinking about getting a Nmax as a replacement, but thought; why? The 1st gen 150 4-5 years old pcx is still going strong, so I keep it for now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes, very handy for city riding.

Done over 15k km on my pcx150, trouble free km's that is, use it almost every day, city only.

I was thinking about getting a Nmax as a replacement, but thought; why? The 1st gen 150 4-5 years old pcx is still going strong, so I keep it for now. 

Yes, they are reliable just not much fun to ride and it's like sitting in a chair with hand brakes. However, they are the best design for a woman in a dress by far. Still, would prefer a foot brake like the old Vespas. :thumbsup:

Saw the black/lemon one today.  Nice looking bike.  Trouble is, now I'm in BKK I use the bike hardly at all (about 15km per week vs 100-150 pw in Chiang Mai), mostly relying on the BTS/MRT and taxis.  As such, the 2015 Click is pretty much now relegated to being an errand bike and shopping trolley (for which I actually find the floorboard style is much more useful than the underbone chassis style of the PCX / Aerox - especially for slotting in a slab of beer) it's hard to persuade myself I need, or can even justify, the upgrade.  Maybe if I end up doing runs to Jomtien but then I think I'd go for a CB300F (or the much safer air-con coach!!!). We'll see.  I'd be interested in how the 2017 PCX changes, if at all.  Much more interesting choice of autos these days than even just a few years ago though.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Yes, they are reliable just not much fun to ride and it's like sitting in a chair with hand brakes. However, they are the best design for a woman in a dress by far. Still, would prefer a foot brake like the old Vespas. :thumbsup:

When I first came to LOS I really loved the PCX.  Nearly bought one.  Rented one for quite a while when doing a language course and I always had the feeling when sat on it that the bike was trying to go where it wanted to go rather than where I wanted it to go.  I'm 6'03" so get pushed back up the seat which I think helps exaggerate what felt like a 'low-rider' seating style.  I guess if I'd bought one I'd have got used to it but I just prefer something where I feel like I'm sitting more forward and above rather than low and back, just feels better for me when using body control and reverse steering.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Ha-Ha, no not much fun agreed, but I said city riding only, even got a 40lit top-box fitted.

I use a big bike for highway riding, much safer/fun, I don't like being overtaken by big buses out there which happen if scootering, no so on my Versys.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2016 at 2:16 PM, freedomnow said:

I'm guessing NMAX was not exactly the hot seller they hoped for....rarely see it on the roads.

I was thinking about this riding around today. I saw many. Either I live in a different world or am more observant?

Today i checked out Aero x and the nmax. They only had R version in the shop which is the same as standard except rear suspension upgrade. The cute sales girl told me this is the expected big seller in Thailand. 

I am normal built 6 feet tall and I had nil problem fitting the Aero x. It is not spacious but it will do fine for me. The negative points is small fuel tank, stupid drum brake rear, and the seat height is a good bit higher than nmax no problem for me, but it could be a problem if you have a petite gf who also run it. 

So if your the only user, only use front brakes, and are a city dweller with short distances as a user area this bike is great. But so is any other 125 auto scooter also. For a way lower price. 

Now the nmax is spacious, lower seat, disc brakes all around and a 6.6 liter tank giving 150 - 200 km range depending on your riding. After a bit of a haggle I got one bike out to test, it's quick and very stable, feels good even at higher speeds. Clocked in at 127 km/hr on my gps as possible speed for this particular bike. Meaning it runs a lot faster than the pcx I tested. Could just be those bikes, who cares. You can do the 36 Rayong Pattaya, but I would prefer a 600cc up bike on that road. The Sukhumvit however is great. Popping Rayong Banchang and perhaps Buddha hill to Pattaya. So for a province scooter you run city and countryside the nmax should be great. So would a pcx if Honda is your thing. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2017 at 5:06 PM, jackcorbett said:

I saw a blue Aerox 155 at Lotus today.  Then I went down to Watchara Marine to see if my Green Book has arrived for my Nmax.  THey had a number of Nmaxes and Aeroxes there.  Talked to my salesman.  I already know the Aerox only has a 4.6 liter fuel tank while my Nmax has a 6.6 liter tank so in my book this is a huge disadvantage for the Aerox.  The Nmax also has superior brakes with disk brakes on both the front and rear and ABS standard.  But my salesman also assessed my height, had me get on the Aerox as he pointed out that the Nmax is much more comfortable for a guy as tall as me, and he was right.  The seating position on the Aerox is cramped (I am five foot eleven)

On the way back to my condo driving down Sukamvit I was hitting 90 kph.  The Nmax is dead steady at this speed.  It will not be long before I will do a real test, pitting my Nmax 155 against my gf's PCX 150.  And I will use a real stopwatch so I am going to get real comparative times.  But so far my assessment of the Nmax vs the PCX is....Advantage to the PCX--smoother ride especially over speed bumps.  Quieter.  Smoother performance at very low speeds.  Larger fuel tank---8 liters vs 6.6 for the Nmax. Advantage to the Nmax....steering is much more precise and direct.  Braking is absolutely first rate and superior to the PCX.  Acceleration is noticeably better although we will see when I stopwatch both bikes.  Engine is not as quiet. It's got a bit of a snarl to it, which is both an advantage and disadvantage depending on how you view this.  

So far it's a case of "each to his own". Both are great bikes.  As for the 13 inch tires of the Nmax.  I feel that this whole bike was engineered from the ground up around those 13 inch wheels.  The bike seems structurally very sound.  So far I feel that a 12 to 14 inch tire in a Filano, Fino, etc is not the epitome of stability by any means.  But these bikes are scooters, not underbones.  THere's no reinforcing struts above the floorboard area. This is not the case with the Nmax which seems to have a steel cage of support braces that provides this bike with a very stable structure.  Just look at some of the You tube Videos from Yamaha that show this inner structure and you will see what I mean. 

Hello Jack, were you able to get a test ride of the Aerox at the Yamaha dealer?

i want to ride one  before I make up my mind on changing my Nmax for one.

ive been looking at the Pattaya rental companies but I haven't found a company that stocks the Aerox yet.

do you know of any rental company who have an Aerox to rent?

thanks

6 hours ago, Bealo said:

ive been looking at the Pattaya rental companies but I haven't found a company that stocks the Aerox yet.

thanks

Area 54 bar on Soi Diana has had a blue one for rent.

B2000/week.

6 hours ago, Bealo said:

thanks

The only test ride I've gotten at Watchara Marine is of an Nmax, and this was limited to the parking lot.  Even so, I immediately saw that the braking of this bike was far superior to other bikes I've driven such as my Elegance, PCX, etc. 

Perhaps someday I'll find a convenient rental of an Aerox that will make me want to review this bike.  However, I'm not very excited about the Aerox, which I consider in most respects to be inferior to the Nmax which shares the same engine.  

What I am excited about is doing a review of my gf's Honda 150 PCX to my own Yamaha Nmax which is now close to being broken in.  I've  not even done one hands on review of the Nmax due to lack of available rentals.  I've got a good stop watch.  I've already stop watched such bikes as the Yamaha 135 Elegance, the Yamaha Nouvo SX, and the Honda Click 125 S so it will be really nice to soon add the Nmax and the PCX figures to what I've already compiled for these bikes.