Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

How does the Aerox compare to the Airblade out of interest in terms of build quality and comfort?  Obviously the Aerox will blow the Airblade away in terms of performance.  I feel the Aerox does have some similar looks to the Airblade.  I think Honda missed a trick by not continuing with the Airblade in Thailand.

2 hours ago, stament said:

I prefer the first generation looks, can't comment on the ride/performance/comfort itself as I've not compared the two, guessing it's minimal.  Interested to hear feedback from others.

Regarding ride/performance/comfort, and judging by the spec release, i would predict the following....

1. Ride. Suspension and chassis appear unchanged, so the good ride and handling standard should be the same.

2. Performance. While Power & Torque are slightly up, the weight has increased from 118kg to 125kg, so the extra weight would negate any increase in performance. The already great performance should be the about same.

3. Comfort. The new one has an increase in height of 25mm ( which would be from the handlebar height), so the riding position will likely be a slightly more back straight upright position. I personally prefer the sportier lower handle bar height of the 1st gen here too, but it looks like they have raised it to please a wider demographic unfortunately. 

Edited by benzina

After reading many youtube comments underneath the new 2021 Aerox reviews, its clear many Aerox fans are rightly upset by the front styling, particularly the headlights, and that strong, clear and simple big V.  

Many many said it looks Honda Click , etc etc, and that it lost what was its iconic Yamaha signature Aerox front design, and i agree.

The iconic and hugely popular Aerox 50cc did not change its design for 12 years, and even after the design update, they deliberately  and carefully remained very faithful to the original.

The hugely popular big brother Aerox 155, should have been treated the same, because it too, has a very fanatical following,  and because they got it perfect the first time, like they did on the Aerox 50.

You can read about the iconic Aerox 50 design and history here....its a story of Yamaha design philosophy that could and should have  applied to the 2016 sacred & original Yamaha Aerox 155  ....

The Aerox 50 redesign after 16 years...

http://web.archive.org/web/20160427231930/http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/about-bikes/scooters/index.aspx?view=article&id=514865 

The Aerox 50 history....

http://web.archive.org/web/20160428011934/http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/about-bikes/scooters/index.aspx?view=article&id=446755 

Why after only 4 years did they decide to do a big makeover when they didn't need too i don't  understand.

Sure, its silhouette is faithful, and it still mostly looks Aerox good, but the one thing i can't get past is that front face, and clearly many many others feel the same.

I'm sure Yamaha is starting to worry about this extensive criticism feedback they are seeing, and i wouldn't  be surprised if they correct it sooner rather than later.

It would, and should  hurt them reading about Honda comparisons.  

Edited by benzina

All they needed to do with the front of original, was put a small air intake between the headlights...thats it!

The original is futuristic, classic, sporty, meaty, yet elegant all at the same time.  Why Yamaha, why did you feel you needed to do a full makeover on what was a new generation classic after only 4 years?  

Look to the original Yamaha, look to the original.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 8:31 AM, 2long said:

Sorry if this has been discussed before but what's the deal on the stop/start for the Aerox ABS? Mine requires the first time for the bike to be stationary for 10 seconds before the system becomes active. And from then on (with the green light on) it cuts out immediately when I stop. I love my Aerox but I have rented Click that have more-sensible timing for the stop start. At the first service I asked the mechanic and he said what I have is normal.

Aerox ABS owners, please comment on your stop/start experience regarding the time required to stop first time and afterwards.

As for what Pine Sol recently wrote..

The back brake is fine and I use it a lot. In fact, right now I'm having to ride with my right hand in a slab (cast) meaning the rear brake is getting plenty of action. I also rented an NMax in Bali and my wife hated it (and me for a period????) and although I enjoyed the motor's pull, I wasn't really impressed with the bike. Since coming back to BKK, I have bought (and love) an Aerox ABS.

If only they did the ABS spec with the Monster Energy race rep colours, I would be a very happy bunny! ????

20190711_162156.jpg

Monster bike is available now.

On 12/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, benzina said:

O.K I've successfully changed my auxiliary park lights to LED, and they are fantastic!!! The stock ones made a yellowish light, where as these LED are COOL WHITE and match the LED headlights now, plus they are a bit brighter and only use 1W.

I'm going to leave the stock turn signal bulbs as they are, because i believe you have to change the relay as well....and i'm not prepared to do that.

any photos please?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 7:30 PM, benzina said:

To put the Aerox 4.6l gas tank and fuel consumption into perspective, the Aerox will give you an average 160kms-190kms on 1 tank of fuel....thats fine with me, but i understand it might be an issue for some on long long trips, of which the Aerox wasn't really designed for.

I just did the Mae Hong Song loop on an Aerox rented from Chiang Mai.  That fuel tank is so tiny, I'd have to fill up at every gas station.  Almost empty to full was 80B. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see they are still offering and selling the 1st Gen Aerox along side the 2nd Gen Aerox in the countries that have introduced the latest connect model....Indonesia & Vietnam.

It would be interesting to compare the sales figures of the 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen.....i bet the ( IMO) better looking 1st generation Aerox, is holding up really well. 

Edited by benzina

On 11/30/2020 at 8:12 AM, stament said:

Sorry if this has been discussed before but what's the deal on the stop/start for the Aerox ABS? Mine requires the first time for the bike to be stationary for 10 seconds before the system becomes active. And from then on (with the green light on) it cuts out immediately when I stop.

Yes, your mechanic is right, this is normal. Mine runs for up to 30 secs on the first stop (usually at a red light) before activating. The rational is that the stop/start system is primarily for use during stop/go traffic situations at under 10kph, so the system delays the first stop to account for the fact that it could just be a momentary stop at a junction for example.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, stament said:
On 12/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, benzina said:

O.K I've successfully changed my auxiliary park lights to LED, and they are fantastic!!! The stock ones made a yellowish light, where as these LED are COOL WHITE and match the LED headlights now, plus they are a bit brighter and only use 1W.

I'm going to leave the stock turn signal bulbs as they are, because i believe you have to change the relay as well....and i'm not prepared to do that.

Did this involve any modification to the bike or was it simply a bulb replacement? I always think it looks a bit odd when I pull onto my drive and see the bike's reflection in the patio doors!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, denistrevisan said:

Which tires would you suggest me to mount on my Aerox for the best stability while driving? I am looking at Pirelli Angels or Diablo..

My friend has put Pirelli Diablo and one size bigger (fatter) on the back and he's happy with them...

I got Angel Scooter on my Forza (correct size) and they are very good too, both good and similar price I think ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 1:26 PM, 899cc said:

Anybody know of a aftermarket usb port cover, my one has broken the o.m.e part looks flimsey, the cover by your left knee when sitting on the bike, tryed shopee online but cannot see anything, must be one for it?

I think this is what you are looking for, but it is genuine. 

https://bikerzbits.com/yamaha-aerox155-lid-bf6-f177e-00.html   This place has everything you need, and great service too. 

Edited by benzina
  • Like 1

Can someone who has upgraded to a larger tank speak to the fuel meter's accuracy after the swap? Does it accurately report the fuel level in the larger tank? There are some very nice looking ones on Shopee and after watching installation videos, it looks like the old hardware is re-used - the pump/filter and bottom sensor. I don't see anyone modifying/replacing the sensor, nor comment on the fuel gauge.

• 1 month later...

I must say, its great to see Yamaha was clever enough to continue the production and sale of the 1st generation Aerox along side the 2nd generation version, in there biggest markets. (Malaysia & Singapore remain exclusively with the just the 1st gen for the time being)

The 1st gen price bracket offers a cheaper entry point, and a pure Yamaha design language that many still prefer over the 2nd gen, and probably always will, since it's become rather iconic and timeless.

It would be interesting to see how the sales figures compare between 1st Gen and 2nd Gen.

Indonesia - 1st Gen / 2nd Gen

Thailand - 1st Gen / 2nd Gen

Vietnam - 1st Gen / 2nd Gen

Malaysia - 1st Gen 

Philippines - 2nd Gen 

Singapore - 1st Gen  (From Thailand Factory)

All have there own Yamaha factories except Singapore.

In summery, Yamaha have simply expanded the Aerox/NVX range, and i'm sure in my opinion, many will continue to choose the cheaper entry point and better looks of the 1st Gen, over the pricier 2nd Gen with slightly more tech and bigger tank....but its great they offer both just the same. 

Edited by benzina
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 9:32 PM, ireckonso said:

Not really i always change fluids under 500km on a new vehicle, all those new internal parts will shave some metal settling in even if microscopic size. Oil is too cheap to not do it for peace of mind.

You are 100% right for the first oil change