Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

I've done my stop watch times of my Yamaha NMax today on the road to Rayong today.  Did three sample runs from zero to fifty and three runs from zero to 80 kph.  But it's going to take a lot more time to complete my head to head road test of the Honda 150 Pcx versus the 155 Yamaha NMax.  I have posted my times on my alphapro web site so those who are interested can use the search function there to find these stopwatch times compared to times with the Honda Click, Yamaha 135 Elegance, Yamaha Nouvo SX, etc.  The Yamaha NMax totally outclassed all the other bikes (and the Honda Click 125 is fast and so is the Elegance).  I predict the Honda 150 PCX just might outdo the Elegance and Honda Click but I don't think by much which would still leave it well behind the Nmax.    

I tried to open the bike up.  I had a tail wind but I also was just cresting a long uphill on the way back to Pattaya.  I got 119 kph registered but the speedo was still climbing and I had still not quite hit level ground.  I do believe this bike's variable valve timing was giving it a big boost.  You watch the speedo and start thinking, this bike's gotta be out of steam now, but the speedometer keeps climbing.  The traffic was getting pretty congested. THat's why I chickened out at 119 kph.  

As for the 13 inch tires--no problem.  This bike is structurally very tightly put together.  This is an awesome little bike. 

Edited by jackcorbett
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2017 at 0:19 AM, jackcorbett said:

As for the 13 inch tires--no problem.  This bike is structurally very tightly put together.  This is an awesome little bike. 

Get Michellin City Grip tyres. Fantastic vs most stock Yammy/Honda Scooter tyres. Cornering traction has to be experienced.

You may be able to get a slightly wider rear one than stock.

A really good safety investment....(as safe as you can be with the clown driving that goes on here).

As my old neighbour said his cheap-cheap tyres were a false economy when he took a tumble cornering....

• Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 11:55 AM, MINIMIGLIA said:

Picked up a black and lemon one on Tuesday Type R lovely little bike and drives much better than the wifes old PCX, feels much more planted and the brakes are far better, more to report once used for a few weeks.

I cannot recommend this bike enough, it flies up the mountains where I live with ease, fuel tank easily big enough and riding space is plenty big enough, I am 5 11 and weigh 100kgs, handling is very sure footed and braking is superb, Yamaha have got this bike just right and so much better than our old PCX no comparison.

• Like 1

I like the R version but I am tempted by the ABS version, is it worth paying the extra or is the braking on the R version safe enough?, not really interested in the keyless entry just safety.

Was thinking spending the extra on better tyres and helmet.

Studies, and abundant anecdotal evidence

indicate that ABS can reduces falls.

But if you

[or anyone else riding it] 

are able to drive

on sand/lubricant-free pavement,

100% of the time

with 100% attention, and

with top skill at wet e-braking &c. 

then prolly pretty safe on your scooter without.

You prolly don't even need good tires.

Last month papa went down @ e-brake situation

because < 100%.

My fault.

ABS equipped bike maybe would have saved damage & pain, &c

Luckily had on armour & boots .

+ABS better when selling later on.

Keyless is sweet.

papa vote ABS.

&

Michelins & helmet.

;-)

Edited by papa al
anal
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, papa al said:

Studies, and abundant anecdotal evidence

indicate that ABS can reduces falls.

But if you

[or anyone else riding it] 

are able to drive

on sand/lubricant-free pavement,

100% of the time

with 100% attention, and

with top skill at wet e-braking &c. 

then prolly pretty safe on your scooter without.

You prolly don't even need good tires.

Last month papa went down @ e-brake situation

because < 100%.

My fault.

ABS equipped bike maybe would have saved damage & pain, &c

+ABS better when selling later on.

Keyless is sweet.

papa vote ABS.

&

Michelins & helmet.

;-)

Thanks Papa, I really like ABS and I am leaning to the ABS model, I like the look of the R model but might go for the ABS.

I am sure the keyless entry will come in handy.

Are the tyre's that bad that they need shifting straight away?, I was thinking use them at first then after wear is showing put some Michelin's on.

Was looking at the fullface helmet with the adjustable chin part, are these worth the 12 to 15,000 baht price to buy?, any recommendations in the 5000baht range.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nev said:

I like the R version but I am tempted by the ABS version, is it worth paying the extra or is the braking on the R version safe enough?, not really interested in the keyless entry just safety.

Was thinking spending the extra on better tyres and helmet.

My R has ABS as standard, take a look at one, sensor just above caliper with slotted rotor inside disc. and it stops really well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

My R has ABS as standard, take a look at one, sensor just above caliper with slotted rotor inside disc. and it stops really well.

I thought the R came with the wave brake?, I will take a look at the R mate, I will ask in the shop when I go to buy for the same.

Edited by nev
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Well mine has wave disc and the ABS works just fine, have tested it on some grass and it worked .

With the wave discs, from what I know they are prone to overheating and wear through the pads very quickly, They do stop the bike very quick but the downside is brake pad wear.

5 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

5 hours ago, nev said:

I thought the R came with the wave brake?, I will take a look at the R mate, I will ask in the shop when I go to buy for the same.

the Yam th website states that only the ABS Version has ABS, while the R has the Wave Brake (and ABS is not listed in the features). Would be good if the R had ABS as the colours are nicer. Maybe they decided to put it on the R and didn't update the website?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, papa al said:

Thanks.

Any reference to over-heating anywhere?

Did you the link, 2nd poster mentions about overheating, also another poster quoted him about overheating and about Thermodynamic's.

4 hours ago, nev said:

With the wave discs, from what I know they are prone to overheating and wear through the pads very quickly, They do stop the bike very quick but the downside is brake pad wear.

They actually run cooler, replace pads . cheap as chips here.

A thin rotor has will heat up more quickly than a thick rotor. And have a greater tendency to warp once heated. Only way for sure is to measure the thickness and overall swept area of both rotors. As brakes work by converting rotational forces into heat, and transferring this heat to the air, a thick rotor - all other things being equal - will do more work than a thin one.

• Like 1

1.).Thin will temporarily warp and more quickly heat-up, yes, but

a thin rotor will cool faster than a thick. [less mass], so....

b.) Work  = distance x force.

Thickness is not in the equation sir.

Edited by papa al

3 hours ago, nev said:

Did you the link, 2nd poster mentions about overheating, also another poster quoted him about overheating and about Thermodynamic's.

Yes, papa the link.

Well if somebody (Mr Stinkwheel, Bovine Proctologist) speculated about this ten years ago and someone else quoted him and used the fancy word 'thermodynamics',

that's good enough for me.

;-)

20 hours ago, papa al said:

1.).Thin will temporarily warp and more quickly heat-up, yes, but

a thin rotor will cool faster than a thick. [less mass], so....

b.) Work  = distance x force.

Thickness is not in the equation sir.

The brake disk thickness must be chosen to match the pads and to match the driving that will be done. A short, tight road course (Las Vegas Speedway, 1.8 mile) may need different pads or possibly rotors. Due to the high demand for braking, more heat will need to be dissipated. We may need to use thicker rotors or higher temperature pads.

http://www.wcengineering.com/articles/brakes.html

• 2 weeks later...

sat on one today (didn't drive it), but agree with other comments on that weird extension at the left knee. i am not tall (5'9" / 176cm) and while not touching, it was close. Sitting back a little clears it enough though. The passenger seat is slightly perched higher so maybe they won't tend to push the driver forward. You could pull the little door off to get some more clearance, but then i'd be worried about getting kneecapped in an accident. :smile:

Still, i prefer the specs of the Aerox to the Nmax as it is slightly lighter and 40mm less wide. It is actually 5mm less wide than the SX! I reckon that the Aerox is a great little bike for carving through traffic, while the Nmax would be more suited to slightly longer distances outside town. Not that the Nmax would be difficult to maneuver in traffic.

I can assure everyone that the NMax is a terrific machine in heavy traffic.  My Yamaha Nouvo Elegance was the same width of the Nouvo SX, and now that I'm used to the NMax subjectively it is every bit as good at getting through the tight spots.  It's also very good at highway speeds.  Plus it has a lot better acceleration and far superior brakes so when you factor these two attributes in it's even better than an Elegance or Nouvo SX in city traffic.  And as far as the Aerox is concerned I sat on both at the dealership and the Nmax has better seating position for me.  And, it's got  better  brakes than the Aerox. That much larger fuel capacity is a very huge deal for me.   Having the best brakes could be the difference between life and death.  So based on this criterion alone it's superior to its stable mate.  

Edited by jackcorbett
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

papa likes al lot about this bike:

1. Yamaha*

2. ABS

3. State-of-the-art 155cc power plant.

4. Big-ass tires. [140 mm, mein Gott!]

5. Gas filler EZ access

6. good pricing

cons:

a. small gas tank

b. lacks rear tie-downs points for duffel.

* Yamaha is serious @ 150cc market:

R15, M-Slaz, Exciter, AeroX, NMax

vs 

CBR, PCX :saai:

pap's seeing M-Slaz everywhere.

• Like 2

Sat on one last week.

The cover by the left knee has a USB charging port inside. However, its pretty flimsy, I wouldn't trust the cover not to fall off whilst riding smashing my phone on the pavement.

The comments that this cover gets in the way of the knee are just ridiculous though. I'm 6ft and there was about 6 inches of room sitting comfortably. Do you all perch on the front of the seat like ladyboys?

Nice machine, as yet undecided between this and the NMax, but this has the edge at the moment. No need for ABS on a scooter this size, but the better shocks on the R version look worthy of the investment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

How's the acceleration compared to other scooters? 

If you can find my in depth review on my alphapro web site, I have compiled stopwatched acceleration times for the PCX 150, the Nmax 155, the Honda Click 125, the Yamaha SX 125, the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135, etc from 0-50 kph and 0-80 kph.  The Aerox uses the same engine as the Nmax 155.  But it weighs slightly less.  This means you can compare the Nmax times on my web site to all these other bikes, and then figure the Aerox will do a tad better.