Tourist Visa, Single Entry, at Thai Embassies worldwide free of charge from 1.12.2016 to 28.2.2017

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It seems they did change their minds. 

I think the cabinet decision has not been changed but the journalists got it wrong or perhaps even the government spokesperson who talked to the journalists. I suspected as much when I posted this in the first topic on the subject:

I wonder if the reporters got half of the story wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juice777 said:

Why are they giving out free visas then?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Desperation? Tourist numbers from all countries dropping? 

However, just what will this achieve? The relaxation in VOA fees applies to countries with few (except China and India) visitors and saving 1000 baht is hardly likely to persuade them to visit LOS. Most other tourists arrive FREE already under the 30 day Visa Exempt Scheme. Will this persuade them to stay FREE for 60 days instead? 

Window dressing and face saving, a heady Thai mixture! 

• Like 1

Did not work for me since Ihad to do a visa run to Cambodia and they charged me 1500tbh for the visa to Cambodia and wanted to charge me 300 tbh for exiting Cambodia I did argue that last year it was 300 tbh and they let me pay the rip off 300tbh without problem.

Than back to Thailand very friendly stall at the boot.

Just found this press release on the department of consular affairs website.

ข่าวประชาสัมพันธ์ : A temporary tourist visa fee exemption scheme and a Visa on Arrival (VoA) fee reduction scheme.

By the Order of the Ministry of Interior dated 30 November B.E. 2559 (2016), starting from 1 December 2016 until 28 February 2017, Thailand will launch a temporary tourist visa fee exemption scheme and a temporary Visa on Arrival (VoA) fee reduction scheme. Details are as follows:

1. All applicants applying for Tourist Visa (single entry) to Thailand during the aforementioned period will be exempted from the visa fee.
2. During the aforementioned period, Visa on Arrival (VoA) fee will be decreased from 2,000 THB to 1,000 THB for applicants of the nationalities which are entitled to apply for the VoA at the designated immigration checkpoints.

1 ธ.ค. 2559 12:20:14 / อัพเดต : 1 ธ.ค. 2559 18:51:03 / เรียกดู 54 ครั้ง

Source: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/news/1341/73242-A-temporary-tourist-visa-fee-exemption-scheme-and.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mettech said:

Did not work for me since Ihad to do a visa run to Cambodia and they charged me 1500tbh for the visa to Cambodia and wanted to charge me 300 tbh for exiting Cambodia I did argue that last year it was 300 tbh and they let me pay the rip off 300tbh without problem.

Than back to Thailand very friendly stall at the boot.

Try as I might I cannot connect your post with this thread topic, please clarify.

On 12/2/2016 at 0:09 PM, maimeephom said:

I have just received an e-mail from the Thai Embassy  london Visa section- confirming that all single entry visa  applications are free until the 28th of Feb.

The Cardiff Thai Consulate are going to charge a £10 administration fee. (applicants in person)

Well I'm just about to apply for a SETV for a trip in January so am interested in this - it's a small (£25) saving on a trip but every little helps! :thumbsup:

This is the Visa Fee page of the Thai Embassy in London's website  as of  tonight showing the announcement of the fee exemption

As usual, on that page it states "Visa fees are payable in pound sterling and in cash only" However on this, the Visa Application by Post page it says

"Visa and postage fee must be paid by Postal Order made payable to: THE ROYAL THAI EMBASSY."

Last time (Jan 2016) I sent a £25 Postal Order for the visa and £10 cash for the postage and received my passport with visa in about 4 days.

I am wondering if one should just  send cash for the return postage???

I shall send an email to the Embassy asking if that is correct but knowing how slow they generally are to reply, I was hoping someone might have an inkling?

EDIT:  I sent the email and got an automated response which basically said Kindly visit the Visa Information Page  :sad:  No idea if I'll also get a response from a Human but the Embassy is closed until Tuesday 6th December - if i do, I'll post it here

Edited by VBF
More info

1 hour ago, VBF said:

I am wondering if one should just  send cash for the return postage???

Why not do what it states on the application by post  page instead of cash.

Each applicant must enclose self address envelope with special deliverly stamp or pay an extra £10  on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why not do what it states on the application by post  page instead of cash.

Hi  @ubonjoe.    I thought  hoped you'd be along soon :smile:

Basically, because, if you look at my post, in one area of the website it appears to insist that "Visa and postage fee must be paid by Postal Order" and then elsewhere says that "Visa fees are payable in pound sterling and in cash only"  That is why I did what I did last time (£25 PO for the visa and and £10 cash for the postage).  That worked for me in January as you can see.

As i understand it you're suggesting that I go for the pre-paid return envelope (which i believe is what they mean by Self-addressed envelope with Special delivery stamp) and forget about cash at all?  Am i explaining myself here or maybe missing something....not for the first time? 

Edited by VBF

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

Hi  @ubonjoe.    I thought  hoped you'd be along soon :smile:

Basically, because, if you look at my post, in one area of the website it appears to insist that "Visa and postage fee must be paid by Postal Order" and then elsewhere says that "Visa fees are payable in pound sterling and in cash only"  That is why I did what I did last time (£25 PO for the visa and and £10 cash for the postage).  That worked for me in January as you can see.

As i understand it you're suggesting that I go for the pre-paid return envelope (which i believe is what they mean by Self-addressed envelope with Special delivery stamp) and forget about cash at all?  Am i explaining myself here or maybe missing something....not for the first time? 

That other page where is says to pay in cash is for applying in person.

I suggest you do a prepaid return envelope.

Not sure about the UK but in other countries they have special envelopes for express mail or what ever it is called. Not sure but I suspect the postage will be less than 10 pounds.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That other page where is says to pay in cash is for applying in person.

I suggest you do a prepaid return envelope.

Not sure about the UK but in other countries they have special envelopes for express mail or what ever it is called. Not sure but I suspect the postage will be less than 10 pounds.

I get what you're saying but (with respect) the page where it says to pay in cash is just the list of fees - it does not mention applying by post OR in person so a logical assumption is that it applies to either.

Whereas on the page relevant to  postal applications it states that "Visa and postage fee must be paid by Postal Order" (Scroll to the bottom of the page)

Not trying to be difficult but it is ambiguous don't you agree.

Having said all that, as long as the visa is free, sending a reply-paid envelope does seem sensible even if it does need an extra trip to the post office!

27 minutes ago, VBF said:

I get what you're saying but (with respect) the page where it says to pay in cash is just the list of fees - it does not mention applying by post OR in person so a logical assumption is that it applies to either.

Whereas on the page relevant to  postal applications it states that "Visa and postage fee must be paid by Postal Order" (Scroll to the bottom of the page)

Not trying to be difficult but it is ambiguous don't you agree.

Having said all that, as long as the visa is free, sending a reply-paid envelope does seem sensible even if it does need an extra trip to the post office!

I think it is best just to read what ii states here and ignore what is written further down the page.

When submitting your application by post

-Complete and sign one application form. Only visa application forms issued by The Royal Thai Embassy in London will be accepted. A separate form is required for each traveller regardless of age. DOWNLOAD FORM

-Your Passport/Travel Document which must be valid for at least 6 Months from the date of             application

- Two recent passport size photos 

- Tourist Visa (25 pounds) Tourist Visa multiple entries (125 pounds) Non Immigrant Visa single entry (50 pounds) and Non Immigrant Visa Multiple Entries (125 pounds) - Each applicant must enclose self address envelope with special deliverly stamp or pay an extra £10  on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport

# Consular Officers reserve the right to request for additional documents as deemed necessary#

# Please do not apply for a visa more than 3 months before your date of travel #

#The embassy will not be held responsible for lost/stolen/damaged document# 

Visa application by post will normally be processed within 3 - 5 working days.

Please send the document by Royal Mail special delivery (You can track our receiving from Royal mail tracking website at https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item) 

It is recommended to use the stamps to send and return rather than a franking stamp from the post office as franking stamps will limit the date of posting. 

You are advised NOT to contact us before 5 working days after our receiving your application.
We will not track application for you by phone.  If you do not receive the passport back within 5 WORKING DAYS, you contact us with the prove of sending your application. 

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

This bit (in bold) doesn't make your suggestion any easier ubonjoe

Each applicant must enclose self address envelope with special deliverly stamp or pay an extra £10  on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport

But........ we're going around in circles so yes, you're probably correct....but then you usually are :thumbsup:  It's just so **** irritating that the site is ambiguous, and what is odd is that last time when i sent 2 separate payments it all went smoothly. 

Friends who applied for normal single tourist visas in Copenhagen was not granted a visa until this form had been filled in together with requested documents. After giving in this form they were told there was no need for the “landlord” to make a 24 hour arrival report.

IMG_0321.JPG

On 2.12.2016 at 7:09 PM, maimeephom said:

I have just received an e-mail from the Thai Embassy  london Visa section- confirming that all single entry visa  applications are free until the 28th of Feb.

The Cardiff Thai Consulate are going to charge a £10 administration fee. (applicants in person)

Administration fee ....?

But........ we're going around in circles so yes, you're probably correct....but then you usually are :thumbsup:  It's just so **** irritating that the site is ambiguous, and what is odd is that last time when i sent 2 separate payments it all went smoothly. 

Whenever I've got mine from London I just tallied up the visa fee + £10 in a postal order. No need for cash or 2 separate payments.
Sending a pre addressed special delivery envelope works out a couple of pound cheaper. Just laziness on my part.
If I done 1 today I'd just send the envelope.
  • Like 1

Right, so the Single Entry Tourist Visa will be for free between now and Feb.  Great.

Now then. If a British tourist paid for his SETV in London, and he's in Thailand right now. Okay, if he now goes to Vientianne, and wants to apply for the free SETV, because he wants to extend his time in Thailand by sixty days.  Are they going to give him a SETV in Vietianne ?
They're not, are they ?

So, the free offer is to boost tourism. But people who are already in Thailand, on a SETV,  they're still not allowed to get one of these things in Vietianne. Is that so ?
:smile:

7 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Okay, if he now goes to Vientianne, and wants to apply for the free SETV, because he wants to extend his time in Thailand by sixty days.  Are they going to give him a SETV in Vietianne ?
They're not, are they ?

Why would they not issue a visa for him ? 

4 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Right, so the Single Entry Tourist Visa will be for free between now and Feb.  Great.

Now then. If a British tourist paid for his SETV in London, and he's in Thailand right now. Okay, if he now goes to Vientianne, and wants to apply for the free SETV, because he wants to extend his time in Thailand by sixty days.  Are they going to give him a SETV in Vietianne ?
They're not, are they ?

So, the free offer is to boost tourism. But people who are already in Thailand, on a SETV,  they're still not allowed to get one of these things in Vietianne. Is that so ?
:smile:

UK passport holders are able to get tourist visas from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. The only possible limitation would be if they had several visas from Vientiane already.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BritTim said:

UK passport holders are able to get tourist visas from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. The only possible limitation would be if they had several visas from Vientiane already.

Sir, I'm trying to be funny.

So, this free SETVs thing, it's being done to encourage more tourists who are in Britain itself, to turn up in Thailand. It's not being done to encourage existing Brits already in Thailand to extend their holiday here.  :smile:

30 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Because, under the existing rules, you're not going to get a SETV in Vietianne IF you've already got a number of SETVs in your passport from Vietianne.  :smile:

OK, you stated that he got a visa in London , so that suggested that he hadnt been to Vientiane before .

But if he had been ti Vientiane numerous times, he could just go to Savanakhet consulate to get a Thai visa

• Like 1