Tourist Visa, Single Entry, at Thai Embassies worldwide free of charge from 1.12.2016 to 28.2.2017

11 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Sir, I'm trying to be funny.

So, this free SETVs thing, it's being done to encourage more tourists who are in Britain itself, to turn up in Thailand. It's not being done to encourage existing Brits already in Thailand to extend their holiday here.  :smile:

I must be dim today, but I fail to understand the joke. If anything, it is a bigger incentive to extending ones visit than making the visit in the first place (where the visa cost is minimal compared to airfares). What am I missing that is so amusing?

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I must be dim today, but I fail to understand the joke. If anything, it is a bigger incentive to extending ones visit than making the visit in the first place (where the visa cost is minimal compared to airfares). What am I missing that is so amusing?

Sir, this move has been done by the Thai government to encourage more tourists, right ?  Yes, it will encourage more British people, who are in Britain, to turn up in Thailand for a long holiday (two or three months), great.

But what about British people who are already on holiday, in Thailand ? Does the Thai government want to encourage THESE tourists, to go to Laos/Cambodia, and apply for a tourist visa, and have an extra two or three months in Thailand ? The answer, surely, is no ?  This is bearing in mind, most of us here on Thai Visa, do feel that the Thai government is simply clamping down on the long-term tourists. New regulations have been brought in during the last few years, new regulations that make it harder and harder for the long-term tourists.

So, Thailand is in a situation, where it's apparent aim is to boost tourists travelling from Britain/Europe/USA to Thailand, BUT, at the same time, Thailand is also trying to reduce the number of tourists who are in Thailand for a long-term stay (these are the guys who go to Laos/Cambodia and get SETVs to extend their stay in Thailand).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Sir, this move has been done by the Thai government to encourage more tourists, right ?  Yes, it will encourage more British people, who are in Britain, to turn up in Thailand for a long holiday (two or three months), great.

But what about British people who are already on holiday, in Thailand ? Does the Thai government want to encourage THESE tourists, to go to Laos/Cambodia, and apply for a tourist visa, and have an extra two or three months in Thailand ? The answer, surely, is no ?  This is bearing in mind, most of us here on Thai Visa, do feel that the Thai government is simply clamping down on the long-term tourists. New regulations have been brought in during the last few years, new regulations that make it harder and harder for the long-term tourists.

So, Thailand is in a situation, where it's apparent aim is to boost tourists travelling from Britain/Europe/USA to Thailand, BUT, at the same time, Thailand is also trying to reduce the number of tourists who are in Thailand for a long-term stay (these are the guys who go to Laos/Cambodia and get SETVs to extend their stay in Thailand).

My own sense is that different government departments have their own perspectives.

The Tourism Association of Thailand, and business interests, want to encourage as many people as possible to visit for the longest possible period. These are the entities that have pushed for and achieved tourist promotion through free visas.

On the other side, for instance, are those responsible for law and order, and for protecting labor markets for local workers. Rightly or wrongly, they view long-term tourists as a threat to those interests, and push for restrictions.

This kind of tension is rather normal, but the Thais do not seem particularly good at coming to a consensus that can lead to a coherent overall policy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This kind of tension is rather normal, but the Thais do not seem particularly good at coming to a consensus that can lead to a coherent overall policy.

Yes, maybe I deserve a slap on the wrist for using the issue of "the Thais do not seem particularly good at coming to a consensus that can lead to a coherent overall policy"  to try and be funny.

Administarative fees yes....part of the cost of providing the honorary consulate services.

In 2010 when applied in Hull for a non Immigrant O  multi-entry visa, they had a small fee for delivery of the visa by mail.

However same visa was available for no fee if you picked up the visa at the consulate in person.

Not a new practice even then.

On 12/5/2016 at 10:18 AM, Gringogazzer said:

Whenever I've got mine from London I just tallied up the visa fee + £10 in a postal order. No need for cash or 2 separate payments.
Sending a pre addressed special delivery envelope works out a couple of pound cheaper. Just laziness on my part.
If I done 1 today I'd just send the envelope.

The post Office tell me that a pre-paid Special Delivery envelope suitable for a passport will cost me £6.75

I received a reply to my email to the London Embassy that basically just said "look at the website" :annoyed:

Replied to it asking for clarity and, despite previous failed attempts, phoned them....and got an answer straight away - a feat hitherto unknown at the London Embassy!!!!

The lady said to send the passport, form and pictures (as usual) and confirmed I can either send a pre-paid Special Delivery envelope OR a £10 note

One of those "up to you" answers that actually helps.:thumbsup:

Oh, and apparently turnaround is about 5 days (as it says on the website)

Sorted! :smile:

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

The post Office tell me that a pre-paid Special Delivery envelope suitable for a passport will cost me £6.75

I received a reply to my email to the London Embassy that basically just said "look at the website" :annoyed:

Replied to it asking for clarity and, despite previous failed attempts, phoned them....and got an answer straight away - a feat hitherto unknown at the London Embassy!!!!
The lady said to send the passport, form and pictures (as usual) and confirmed I can either send a pre-paid Special Delivery envelope OR a £10 note

Postal order costs money, but as I was paying the visa fee by way of postal order I always just added on the £10 to the order. Never had a problem with it since it been moved to London.
Only reason didn't send the envelope was because the post office clerk would sell me each item individually, so would have to wait for her to do the order, then the envelope. Save time.
No fee, no postal order, just the envelope.
Have a nice trip.

6 hours ago, uptheos said:

Visa costs to Thailand have very little, if no bearing on tourism.

I tend to agree.  The hassle of getting a tourist-visa is much more of an issue than the cost of the thing.  90-days visa-exempt offered to higher-wage nations (see Malaysia, Singapore, etc), and clear rules on their use, so no one is surprised at the airport, would be the best incentive to Thai tourism.

14 hours ago, Gringogazzer said:

Postal order costs money, but as I was paying the visa fee by way of postal order I always just added on the £10 to the order. Never had a problem with it since it been moved to London.
Only reason didn't send the envelope was because the post office clerk would sell me each item individually, so would have to wait for her to do the order, then the envelope. Save time.
No fee, no postal order, just the envelope.
Have a nice trip.

Absolutely! It's all sort of "six and 2 threes" once one knows what is required:biggrin:

Thank you...I plan to :thumbsup::tongue:

17 hours ago, VBF said:

I am quite amazed about how you can find such a simple thing to do , so difficult

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I am quite amazed about how you can find such a simple thing to do , so difficult

@sanemax

If you read my previous posts you'd realise that it's the Embassy that confuses it by contradicting themselves on different parts of their own website. It's incredibly simple, thank you (and is now all sorted, as i said) but when one is given 2 opposing sets of of instructions, one likes to know which one to follow. That way, one's passport is returned with the desired visa. I do hope that's clear to you.

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

@sanemax

If you read my previous posts you'd realise that it's the Embassy that confuses it by contradicting themselves on different parts of their own website. It's incredibly simple, thank you (and is now all sorted, as i said) but when one is given 2 opposing sets of of instructions, one likes to know which one to follow. That way, one's passport is returned with the desired visa. I do hope that's clear to you.

But I do think that they would have sent you back your passport whichever option you would have chosen ,  without you having to hassle people and waste their time phoning them and asking pointless questions, let alone posting about your "difficult" experience on TV

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

But I do think that they would have sent you back your passport whichever option you would have chosen ,  without you having to hassle people and waste their time phoning them and asking pointless questions, let alone posting about your "difficult" experience on TV

Probably, but they may have declined to issue the visa....or they may not....who knows? And....in my post above I actually said "Not trying to be difficult but it is ambiguous don't you agree".

The forum is here to advise and share experiences - reading it is optional!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

My friend and I are currently in Vietnam, I am going to HMCM Thai embassy to get both our tourist visas for Thailand, can anyone confirm for me if it will be okay for me to take both passports and get it done. We're 5 hours from HMCM, so it better if just one of us goes.

12 hours ago, rebeka said:

My friend and I are currently in Vietnam, I am going to HMCM Thai embassy to get both our tourist visas for Thailand, can anyone confirm for me if it will be okay for me to take both passports and get it done. We're 5 hours from HMCM, so it better if just one of us goes.

I don't they think will allow you to apply for your friends visa.

You could contact them to ask about it. Info here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/organize/29143-Contact-us.html

22 hours ago, rebeka said:

You would effectively be acting as an agent for your friend. I do not think the HCMC consulate allows the use of agents.

Just to add a little extra info to this thread for others who may be planning to travel soon, I sent my Passport, application form, pictures and prepaid Special Delivery Guaranteed envelope for the return, to the UK Embassy on Wednesday 7th December. Passport with Visa received back Tuesday 13th December.

As an aside and merely "FYI" using a prepaid Special Delivery Guaranteed envelope for the return, as well as being very slightly cheaper, allows you to see exactly when the passport is in the post back to you - as long as you remember to note the Tracking Number, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a  visa run years ago in singapore, when the Thais did a promo & it was free, and it REALLY surprised me that their was NO charge!:omfg:

This would work out well for me as my visa runs out mid-feb and the 'MRS' has never been to Kuala Lumpur...

Anyone gone to the Thai Embassy, Kuala Lumpur?

Reading their google map reviews makes for grim reading!

There is nothing on their site (http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/66911-Tourist-(TR).html) that says SETV is FREE at the mo.

Anyone with any info on the Thai Embassy, Kuala Lumpur, do chime in...

10 hours ago, CaptainPeacock said:

I did a  visa run years ago in singapore, when the Thais did a promo & it was free, and it REALLY surprised me that their was NO charge!:omfg:

This would work out well for me as my visa runs out mid-feb and the 'MRS' has never been to Kuala Lumpur...

Anyone gone to the Thai Embassy, Kuala Lumpur?

Reading their google map reviews makes for grim reading!

There is nothing on their site (http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/66911-Tourist-(TR).html) that says SETV is FREE at the mo.

Anyone with any info on the Thai Embassy, Kuala Lumpur, do chime in...

I am certain they will are doing free tourist visa. They just have not bothered to announce it. Possibly because Malaysians already get free visas under a bilateral agreement.

KL is not a good place to get a visa of any kind IMO. There requirements can vary day by day or person to person.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a FYI:

My friend took our passports to the HMCM (acting as agent) -no problem. Received passports back next day- no charge. Would also like to say that HMCM embassy responded to all our Facebook questions within the hour- even at 11pm!

• 2 weeks later...