Thailand waives Tourist Visa fee for ALL nationalities

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Luckysilk said:

Great more Cheap Charlie's arriving soon.

If 1000 measly baht is an inticement I can't wait to see these quality tourists.

Does seem a strange time to be doing this with all the above notices citing the instruction was dated 30th November.

I can't see 1,000 baht (or equivalent) waver inciting people to purchase a ticket to Thailand. The vast majority of tourists will have planned their holiday months before travelling.

IMO the only people who will profit from this are the ones staying long term with back-to-back SETV's who need to renew between December and February next year.

Can't see it increasing proper tourist numbers.......................;)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, neeray said:

Big <deleted> deal ! 

Like others have said, what difference does 1,000 baht make anyway ?

I for one will not save anything because all my trips are under 28 days, no visa required. 

But even if I did have to acquire a visa, the savings is only a fraction of 1% of my overall cost. 

Happy your money runs out after 28 days.

Please tip maid.

1 hour ago, PattayaBoy said:

Wonder why Romania Cyprus Bulgaria Cyprus Malta as they are EU countries. All other EU are visa exempt for 30 days.

These countries are on the Thai no fly list for tourist.

Law #  AM5678-20

IMO Westerners planning a trip to Thailand for vacation are not looking at minutia like deck chairs on the beach or the 1000 baht visa fee. They are looking at the big picture - no legitimate government, run by a military, limited freedoms, country in mourning. As others have mentioned above, the authorities here need to get a sense of the bigger picture before tourism is damaged beyond repair.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Still angry that you had such problems getting your visa and even need lawyers for help?

No, now in Cuba for Holiday until New Year. Let staff run business, while I relax. 

Enjoy your rolls.

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

Well done. 

Try a little kindness. 

You'll get by with a little help from your friends. 

Bringing the colour back to Thailand will help also. Although thailand is in mourning the rest of the world is not. All the shops are full of black mourning clothes. Not a happy shopping choice for a tourist. We are all sad, but the old saying, put on a happy face is  wise advice.

Please Mr p bring the colour back to Thailand. 

I have to agree .  Understandable that Thailand is in mourning. But, this blackness everywhere is so depressing.  No tourist wants to spend their money in a bleak atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

Yes i think so. Not so many coming here. Fed up with getting beaten up. Scammed. Etc etc etc

I am not so sure of the "getting beaten up" part, this is only from my perspective, but is this not mostly the drunken louts causing trouble in the bars and tourist areas?. I keep saying that I have walked around the main parts of Bangkok and Pattaya many times over the years, even after dark, and never felt in any danger at all.

Waving this fee will not by any means entice tourists to come to Thailand. What they need to understand is that many tourists do not want to come to a country that is in mourning for 1
a year, entertainment venues being forced to close early as well as the government cracking down on zero dollar tour packages.

1 hour ago, gilo said:

For places like Vientiane, Savannakhet and Penang the issuing of Tourist Visas has provided an extremely lucrative income stream that has been temporarily closed. I wonder given that it is only Tourist Visa fes that have been waived whether they will now scrutinise applications more thoroughly and determine that in fact more people do not qualify for a TR but instead should apply for a Non-Imm for which a fee is still payable. To deny them the cash cow that they have enjoyed may have adverse affects on applications. It will be interesting to see whether more tourist visa applications are now suddenly harder to come by at what were known as "friendly" consulates.

hopefully not.....

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

I believe you all got that wrong. This is rather to wipe out all honorary consulates worldwide, as they cannot survive without those fees

Well Im not sure they would want to wipe them out, but I do recall an exemption like this once before so the UK consulate or embassy, I forget which, slapped on a £20 (apprx.1000thb), I think, admin. fee for my triple entry tourist visa.

29 minutes ago, timendres said:

IMO Westerners planning a trip to Thailand for vacation are not looking at minutia like deck chairs on the beach or the 1000 baht visa fee. They are looking at the big picture - no legitimate government, run by a military, limited freedoms, country in mourning. As others have mentioned above, the authorities here need to get a sense of the bigger picture before tourism is damaged beyond repair.

This is a great country with great approachable people and great tourism opportunities, there are plenty of ways to attract tourism, and the reason it is not doing it is down to the lack of intelligence from the government. Don't anyone ask me to expand in that, as it is so obvious to people of normal intelligence what can be done, but perhaps it is a bit late now.

They're just throwing money away. I doubt they will gain one single extra tourist through this promotion.

People would make travel plans based on saving US $30? That's a joke.

What it might do is encourage people who normally get VOA to get a visa from the Embassy/Consulate beforehand to cut queues at the airport, but they should have really left the VOA fee at 2,000THB to encourage this more.

I thought the announcement that Thailand would be the Pokemon hub was supposed to have them pouring across the borders?? 

Tourist visas increased by 1,000 baht a couple of months ago, then reduced by 1,000 last week, now free??  Next it will be an offer of 1,000 baht free spending money if somebody would PLEASE come:wink:

3 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Great more Cheap Charlie's arriving soon.

If 1000 measly baht is an inticement I can't wait to see these quality tourists.

I dont think Thailand has ever attracted High End Tourists.....

obviously feeling the pinch, the wonders of the NET....

2 hours ago, JustNo said:

lol they're getting desperate. This could lead to both good and bad things though, if they still do not get the numbers they want, they may start addressing visas for digital nomads and making it easier for people to work here. In fact there are many issues with the visa system here, and troubled times might pressure them into addressing said issues. But taking into account which nation we are talking about here I doubt this will happen and instead will have more haphazard decisions and actions taken 

Yes, a digital nomad visa would be a massive boost for Thailand "tourism".  Only, it's about 5 or 10 years too late.  Most expats have been basing themselves out of the Philippines or Vietnam for awhile now.  Bangkok is where they come for their master mind sessions or meetups but it's been such a pain in the butt for anybody to try to establish themselves in BKK that only those with romantic interests in Thailand ever stay in Thailand.  

Archived